Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2023, 01:28:49 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 20, 2023, 11:02:25 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 20, 2023, 09:10:40 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 18, 2023, 01:19:42 PMStarted on Stowaway. But the main character is an unlikable criminal, so I quit after a couple of minutes since I won't care what happpens to her.

Does this mean you didn't watch Seinfeld?  :huh:
I never did.  Nor Friends.  The only post 90s US sitcom I watched was The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990-1996) is post 90s?  :huh:

Maybe it took awhile for it to get to Canada.
well, post 1990, I meant.

I watched some of the sitcoms of the 70s and 80s, as it was the only thing on tv.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 20, 2023, 02:07:30 PMDubs were slower to show up in that time than now tho. In the 90s, we were about a season behind.

It still is the case when it comes to Network tv. Only the streaming platforms really made them simultaneous.

Never mind dubs even in the UK we were usually way behind with shows.

I think the modern trend for mid season breaks has always been a thing in the US? We never got that.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Watched Glass Onion.  Was entertaining, but not a mystery.  Had enough plot holes that the rewatch value is low.
PDH!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josquius on January 21, 2023, 08:38:11 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 20, 2023, 02:07:30 PMDubs were slower to show up in that time than now tho. In the 90s, we were about a season behind.

It still is the case when it comes to Network tv. Only the streaming platforms really made them simultaneous.

Never mind dubs even in the UK we were usually way behind with shows.

I think the modern trend for mid season breaks has always been a thing in the US? We never got that.

Yes, at least since the late 80s with the multiplication of channels on cable.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

Watched the first episode of Last of Us. I was bored, but I'm really not into zombie stuff.

Habbaku

Solid B- show for me at the outset. Strong opening, but then everything else was ultra-generic.

I do intend on watching the whole season, but am skeptical if they're just going to paint by numbers and remake the game in live action.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

Quote from: Habbaku on January 21, 2023, 04:36:09 PMSolid B- show for me at the outset. Strong opening, but then everything else was ultra-generic.

I do intend on watching the whole season, but am skeptical if they're just going to paint by numbers and remake the game in live action.

Yeah that was my gripe. I haven't played the game, but everything past the opening seemed a rehash of standard zombie apocalypse story fare (factions! surrogate families! the real evil are the humans themselves!), that I don't care much for.

Admiral Yi

I started on The Glass Onion but gave up.  It gave me the same wink wink do you get it vibe that Don't Look Up did.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2023, 05:19:46 PMI started on The Glass Onion but gave up.  It gave me the same wink wink do you get it vibe that Don't Look Up did.
Yeah. That about sums it up.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 21, 2023, 05:19:46 PMI started on The Glass Onion but gave up.  It gave me the same wink wink do you get it vibe that Don't Look Up did.

I hear you. Personally I think Glass Onion was just before passing that line for me. Don't Look Up was insufferable.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on January 21, 2023, 06:59:44 PM

I hear you. Personally I think Glass Onion was just before passing that line for me. Don't Look Up was insufferable.

Yeah, Adam McKay is the king of smug "look how clever this is" movies.

I thought Onion was fun though, but I can see why people would find it too conceited. The first one had the right mix of ingredients (social critique, plot fireworks, and meta winking), I think.

The Brain

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 20, 2023, 09:10:40 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 18, 2023, 01:19:42 PMStarted on Stowaway. But the main character is an unlikable criminal, so I quit after a couple of minutes since I won't care what happpens to her.

Does this mean you didn't watch Seinfeld?  :huh:

I don't remember if I've seen the first episode of Seinfeld.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

frunk

Quote from: celedhring on January 22, 2023, 03:55:28 AM

I thought Onion was fun though, but I can see why people would find it too conceited. The first one had the right mix of ingredients (social critique, plot fireworks, and meta winking), I think.

I liked Glass Onion, but the central plot isn't really that interesting.  It also illustrates what I think is the biggest problem with Rian Johnson as a writer, shoehorning spectacle into the plot.  The ending, when Helen is given free reign to not only destroy a bunch of statuary but also blow up the building.  However torching the Mona Lisa is a step too far?  This by Bronn, who just a couple hours earlier killed a man for threatening to leak information that now he doesn't care who knows?  It felt like Johnson wanted to have the big explosion but didn't really want to bother making the steps to get to it make sense.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: frunk on January 22, 2023, 05:17:28 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 22, 2023, 03:55:28 AM

I liked Glass Onion, but the central plot isn't really that interesting.  It also illustrates what I think is the biggest problem with Rian Johnson as a writer, shoehorning spectacle into the plot.  The ending, when Helen is given free reign to not only destroy a bunch of statuary but also blow up the building.  However torching the Mona Lisa is a step too far?  This by Bronn, who just a couple hours earlier killed a man for threatening to leak information that now he doesn't care who knows?  It felt like Johnson wanted to have the big explosion but didn't really want to bother making the steps to get to it make sense.
Pitch Meeting summed up my feelings on the ending.  It was a fun 90 minutes, but has absolutely no replay value and I'd have felt bad if I had paid to see it in the theater.
PDH!

Admiral Yi

I'm watching Sing Street.  Alienated Irish kids form a band.  Pretty blatant Commitments rip off, but not nearly as interesting.  The music is all blah Duran Duran and Joy Division inspired stuff.  Chick is hot.