News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Happy Valley is excellent. Shame we are now on the final series. In a similar vain, I'm catching up on Sherwood - set in the current day but around festering resentments arising from the miners' strike in Nottinghamshire. Very good.

Also impressed with the first episode of the Last of Us.

Darth Wagtaros

Finished Wednesday. Formulaic but entertaining.
PDH!

HVC

The last of us had a great first episode. It's also a showcase of why staying close to the source material for a popular title works.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Quote from: HVC on January 17, 2023, 04:27:04 PMThe last of us had a great first episode. It's also a showcase of why staying close to the source material for a popular title works.

Yeah not familiar with source material but that pilot episode was very good. Hope it keeps up
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: HVC on January 17, 2023, 04:27:04 PMThe last of us had a great first episode. It's also a showcase of why staying close to the source material for a popular title works.

Isn't that kinda common in Japan? Several games seem to have animes that are basically just a re-telling of the game (e.g. I first heard about Valkyrie Chronicles or Steins:Gate and a few others as anime, not as games).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Season 2 is going to be a blast, then  :P

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on January 18, 2023, 02:43:08 AM

Isn't that kinda common in Japan? Several games seem to have animes that are basically just a re-telling of the game (e.g. I first heard about Valkyrie Chronicles or Steins:Gate and a few others as anime, not as games).

I've been tempted by Neir Automata since I'll likely never get time to play it. So much hate from fans though.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Started on Stowaway. But the main character is an unlikable criminal, so I quit after a couple of minutes since I won't care what happpens to her.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on January 18, 2023, 01:19:42 PMStarted on Stowaway. But the main character is an unlikable criminal, so I quit after a couple of minutes since I won't care what happpens to her.

Does this mean you didn't watch Seinfeld?  :huh:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

'January 6th'  - an excellent documentary of the day, from the POV of police and members of congress.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 20, 2023, 09:10:40 AM
Quote from: The Brain on January 18, 2023, 01:19:42 PMStarted on Stowaway. But the main character is an unlikable criminal, so I quit after a couple of minutes since I won't care what happpens to her.

I never did.  Nor Friends.  The only post 90s US sitcom I watched was The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

EDIT:
post 1990.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on January 20, 2023, 11:02:25 AM

I never did.  Nor Friends.  The only post 90s US sitcom I watched was The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990-1996) is post 90s?  :huh:

Maybe it took awhile for it to get to Canada.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on January 20, 2023, 01:28:49 PM
Quote from: viper37 on January 20, 2023, 11:02:25 AM

The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990-1996) is post 90s?  :huh:

Maybe it took awhile for it to get to Canada.

No, he just has his timing off.  We got network US TV, even then.

Grey Fox

Dubs were slower to show up in that time than now tho. In the 90s, we were about a season behind.

It still is the case when it comes to Network tv. Only the streaming platforms really made them simultaneous.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 20, 2023, 02:07:30 PMDubs were slower to show up in that time than now tho. In the 90s, we were about a season behind.

It still is the case when it comes to Network tv. Only the streaming platforms really made them simultaneous.

OK, but the show ended around the mid 90s.