News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 11, 2023, 04:06:28 PM.

QuoteThis confuses me. My memory is that it was 20 plus years ago that standards were for being unrealistically ripped and these days there's more of an acceptance for the dad bod thing.
Who are you think of as the dad bod example?

Jackman in your first pic there is kind of a dad bod+.
Some arm muscle to be seen which isn't typical but there is a belly.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on January 11, 2023, 05:34:31 PM

QuoteThis confuses me. My memory is that it was 20 plus years ago that standards were for being unrealistically ripped and these days there's more of an acceptance for the dad bod thing.

Young Hugh Jackman as Wolverine so does not have a dad bod.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Romulus, S1-2. The origin story of Rome, in the form of "given what the legends say, this is one way it could have happened". There's fratricide, a she-wolf, kidnapping of Sabine women etc, but with a twist. It's totally OK, but given the early time period and adequate but not enormous budget there's not a whole lot of variation in scenery and stuff. An interest in Roman history helps I think, not with understanding the plot (no prior knowledge is necessary) but with enjoying the show.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2023, 05:43:49 PM
Quote from: Josquius on January 11, 2023, 05:34:31 PM

Young Hugh Jackman as Wolverine so does not have a dad bod.

:yes:

mongers

Is 'Annihilation' staring Natalie Portman worth persevering with?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on January 13, 2023, 04:12:48 PMIs 'Annihilation' staring Natalie Portman worth persevering with?

I think depends on your preference in films. I enjoyed it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2023, 04:16:29 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 13, 2023, 04:12:48 PMIs 'Annihilation' staring Natalie Portman worth persevering with?

Ok, I'll give it a go, Gabby as you recommend it.

I was just put off by the killer animal and their very next form of transport scheme.

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on January 13, 2023, 04:19:13 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2023, 04:16:29 PM

Ok, I'll give it a go, Gabby as you recommend it.

I was just put off by the killer animal and their very next form of transport scheme.

You probably won't enjoy it then, that's the tone of the movie. It's creepy as heck.

FWIW I loved it, it's one of the best cosmic horror movies of all time (imho), but it's certainly not for everyone.

bogh

I read the book(s) it's based on. Incredibly surreal and I honestly don't understand most of what happened.

Not sure I liked them, but they did have some weird draw to them. They were also pretty creepy.

Razgovory

I read the books.  I enjoyed them.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

I thought it was crap, but YMMV.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on January 15, 2023, 01:26:24 PM

I thought it was crap, but YMMV.

Each to his/her own.

I won't go that far, just found it to be a subset of some scenes from 'The Thing'

Josquius

I've started watching a show called Happy Valley. It's quite old. Brits might know it.
Really does feel like an oh so familiar setting. At home we even have an estate for smack heads called Sleepy Valley  :ph34r:
So far seeming quite good. An actual realistic cop show with suitably low stakes that really matter for the characters.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

It's really good and really consistently good too.

I don't understand how Sarah Lancashire hasn't become a huge star, because she is terrific.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Though I can't help but lol at the name in a super Yorkshire show.
██████
██████
██████