News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The Last of Us episode 2 was better than the pilot, but the dialogue and some of the activities were cringingly video-game-like. It feels almost surreal to watch the show and see stuff like that pop out.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on January 23, 2023, 05:18:21 PMThe Last of Us episode 2 was better than the pilot, but the dialogue and some of the activities were cringingly video-game-like. It feels almost surreal to watch the show and see stuff like that pop out.

The first episode did not seem too bad, but the second episode made it clear that it is just a live action video game.  Not my cup of tea.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2023, 09:34:19 PMI'm watching Sing Street.  Alienated Irish kids form a band.  Pretty blatant Commitments rip off, but not nearly as interesting.  The music is all blah Duran Duran and Joy Division inspired stuff.  Chick is hot.

Finished.  Nothing saved it in the 2nd half.

The Larch

The Oscar nominations are in! "Everything Everywhere All at Once" leads with 11 noms, followed by "The Banshees of Inisheerin" and "All Quiet on the Western Front" with 9 noms each.

The Larch

BEST PICTURE

All Quiet on the Western Front
The Banshees of Inisherin
Elvis
Everything Everywhere All At Once
The Fabelmans
Tár
Top Gun: Maverick
Triangle of Sadness
Women Talking

BEST DIRECTOR

Daniel Kwan and Daniel Schienert - Everything Everywhere All at Once
Todd Field - Tár
Martin McDonagh - The Banshees of Inisherin
Ruben Östlund - Triangle of Sadness
Steven Spielberg - The Fabelmans

BEST ACTOR

Austin Butler - Elvis
Colin Farrell - The Banshees of Inisherin
Brendan Fraser - The Whale
Paul Mescal - Aftersun
Bill Nighy - Living

BEST ACTRESS

Cate Blanchett - Tár
Ana de Armas - Blonde
Andrea Riseborough - To Leslie
Michelle Williams - The Fabelmans
Michelle Yeoh - Everything Everywhere All at Once

BEST SUP. ACTOR

Brendan Gleeson - The Banshees of Inisherin
Brian Tyree Henry - Causeway
Judd Hirsch - The Fabelmans
Barry Keoghan - The Banshees of Inisherin
Ke Huy Quan - Everything Everywhere All at Once

BEST SUP. ACTRESS

Angela Bassett – Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Hong Chau – The Whale
Kerry Condon – The Banshees of Inisherin
Jamie Lee Curtis – Everything Everywhere All At Once
Stephanie Hsu – Everything Everywhere All At Once

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY

The Banshees of Inisherin
Everything Everywhere All at Once
The Fabelmans
Tár
Triangle of Sadness

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY

All Quiet on the Western Front
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
Living
Top Gun: Maverick
Women Talking

Josquius

Ugh. Tar. On a rare occasion I watched live TV there was a 2 minute long advert for that. Even the trailer couldn't make it seem interesting.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on January 24, 2023, 09:04:10 AMThe Oscar nominations are in! "Everything Everywhere All at Once" leads with 11 noms, followed by "The Banshees of Inisheerin" and "All Quiet on the Western Front" with 9 noms each.
:hmm: Surprised there's not at least one (1) woman best director nomination given that Women Talking got both Best Picture and Adapted Screenplay nominations - I also think it's borderline criminal that Charlotte Wells didn't get a nomination for Aftersun because I think it's an incredibly well directed film. But really glad Paul Mescal got a nomination, very deserved.

I continue to be baffled by just how well Triangle of Sadness has done. It's been running at my local indie-ish cinema for months. Now all these nominations. I thought it was ok.

Disappointed that Decision to Leave didn't get a nod for best international film. It was one of my favourite films this year. Also think it should have been in the editing and cinematography categories.

But I really, really like how many new nominees there are - I think all of the Best Actor nominees haven't been nominated before, but lots of new nomineeds in the other categories too which is really nice and (of the performances I've seen) fair enough.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Trying to watch Birds of prey, the Margot Robbie movie.  God, I hate movies where the main character constantly talks to itself.  There's barely any dialogues so far.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 24, 2023, 01:08:02 PMBut I really, really like how many new nominees there are - I think all of the Best Actor nominees haven't been nominated before, but lots of new nomineeds in the other categories too which is really nice and (of the performances I've seen) fair enough.

Yeah, on the acting nominations there are tons of people who are there for the first time, even big Hollywood names like Colin Farrell or Brendan Fraser for Best Actor, or Jamie Lee Curtis for Best Supporting Actress. Hell, even people like Brendan Gleeson or Bill Nighy are getting their first nominations this year, and it feels like they've been around forever.

Best Actor are indeed all newbies, Best Actress it's 3 out of 5 (Cate Blanchett alone has more noms than everyone else in the acting categories put together, except for Michelle Williams, also in this category. Best Supporting Actor is all newbies except for Judd Hirsch (expect lots of jokes because Short Round now has an Oscar nom, and an upcoming Indiana Jones movie  :lol: ). Best Supporting Actress is all newbies too except for Angela Bassett.

It seems to me that the two main "flavours" for the ceremony, and maybe source of jokes, are going to be Irish and Chinese.

Overall there's apparently a good mix of blockbusters (Avatar and Top Gun), big studio "premium" films (Banshees and The Fabelmans), indie/artie (Everything Everywhere..., Tár, Women Speaking), foreign (All Quiet..., Triangle of Sadness) in the main awards. A couple of biopics for the mandatory acting nods (Elvis, Blonde), the redemption story that brings back a name everyone had forgotten (Brendan Fraser in The Whale), the films nobody heard of before this to pad around the acting categories (Aftersun, Living, To Leslie, Causeway), and even a nod to the MCU (Black Panther),

mongers

Got around to watching 'Dune' - loved it, appreciated it's pacing and I think I can get away with saying the soundtrack is awesome.   :)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

https://www.pcgamer.com/adult-swim-drops-justin-roiland-from-rick-and-morty-after-domestic-violence-charges/

QuoteAdult Swim drops Justin Roiland from Rick & Morty after domestic violence charges

By Wes Fenlon last updated about 5 hours ago

Roiland has also resigned from Squanch Games, the studio he founded.

On Tuesday, the official Twitter account for animated comedy Rick and Morty posted tweeted that Adult Swim had "ended its association with Justin Roiland," the show's co-creator and primary voice actor. The announcement comes 12 days after the news broke that Roiland had been charged(opens in new tab) with felony domestic violence and false imprisonment over an incident in early 2020.

After rising to prominence in comedy and animation with Rick and Morty, Roiland founded gaming studio Squanch Games, which released High on Life(opens in new tab) in December. Roiland served as CEO and also voiced Kenny, High on Life's talking alien gun.

The Rick and Morty account's tweet(opens in new tab) today is the first since January 10, shortly before the domestic violence charges against Roiland were made public. It's brief, but states that "Rick and Morty will continue" with work on season seven ongoing. It makes no mention of who will replace Roiland as the voice actor for Rick, Morty, and a range of other characters.

Squanch Games hadn't posted on its social media channels since January 11, but several hours after the Rick and Morty tweet above, it posted its own statement(opens in new tab) on Roiland's actions. "On January 16, 2023, Squanch Games received Justin Roiland's resignation. The passionate team at Squanch will keep developing games we know our fans will love while continuing to support and improve High on Life." Roiland voices a number of secondary characters in High On Life as he does in Rick and Morty.

In May 2020 Roiland was charged with "felony domestic battery with corporal injury" and "felony false imprisonment by menace, violence, fraud and/or deceit" according to NBC(opens in new tab), which broke the news. He plead not guilty to both charges in October 2020. The case has not yet gone to trial, and came to light when Roiland attended a pre-trial hearing this month. If convicted, Roiland could face several years in prison—in California, felony domestic violence can carry a sentence of up to four years. Felony false imprisonment can carry a sentence of up to three years.

I admit I still haven't watched the 6th season.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

In and out. 3 to 7 adventure.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Not including Sarah Polley as best director for Women Talking is strange, and oddly non-woke.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on January 25, 2023, 07:17:15 AMNot including Sarah Polley as best director for Women Talking is strange, and oddly non-woke.

Is that really a snub? It's not as if there's a massive buzz for the film, it has no other nominations for big awards (except for Adapted Screenplay) and the other nominees for the Director category are all from strong contenders as well. Maybe the movie isn't such a strong candidate after all (honestly speaking I had not even heard about it before the nominations).