News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on September 13, 2022, 06:14:32 AMI think you have it wrong.

Mixed up releases of the TV mini-series and the theatrical cut.

QuoteThe movie came out in 1981 (released on VHS in 1982). A series version was broadcast first on BBC in 1984, then in 1986 on German TV in 3 parts (2x 105, 1x 98 minutes). In 1987 it was broadcast in Germany as 6 part series (with episode recaps/previews bookending each episode, making each 52 minutes). This version also adds Lt. Werner "diary style" voice overs (I'm very sure this is the version I watched first when it aired at the time, or at least the one I remember the most - I might have watched the other broadcasts, too). 1997 was the Director's Cut, which was the original movie with extra scenes from the series, also released as 2010 blu ray.

Yep, I checked the series came actually earlier on the BBC (shown on credits as well as the other co-producer French channel TF1). I thought it came earlier on German TV.

QuoteThe 6-part series was released on DVD series in 2004, but removed the "bookends" that chains the episodes without titles or bookends of the broadcast.

QuoteAnd the 2014 blue ray release has the 6 episodes as broadcast in 1987, i.e. with the bookends etc. (Which is also, I think, the version you get on Netflix etc.)

You forgot the comprehensive 2018 release.  :P Plus details such as Audio remastered or even newly recorded (less authenticity I guess) for the 5.1 English dub I'd bet, but then I would not watch the English dub. Wiki says even the German original version was shot silent. At least lip sync is pretty good.

Quote from: Syt on September 13, 2022, 06:15:00 AMThis series has maybe seen more edits and recuts than Blade Runner at this point. :P

Yes but it could be much worse. At least, for Blade Runner or Das Boot the director will not, or would not for the late Petersen, try to prevent the release of the "original theatrical cut" (1981) for crappy SFX redoing, unlike some director I could mention.  :P

Sheilbh

WTF is wrong with people :bleeding:

Have to be honest I didn't imagine there'd be a large venn of racists and fans eagerly awaiting a live action Little Mermaid :huh:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 13, 2022, 07:17:14 PMWTF is wrong with people :bleeding:

Have to be honest I didn't imagine there'd be a large venn of racists and fans eagerly awaiting a live action Little Mermaid :huh:

They're not really interested in the film at all, they just want another battlefield for their war on woke.

FunkMonk

I've avoided House of the Dragon but I just watched these 4 episodes and wow, and it's really really good.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Habbaku

Quote from: FunkMonk on September 13, 2022, 09:18:31 PMI've avoided House of the Dragon but I just watched these 4 episodes and wow, and it's really really good.

:yes:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

Episode 4, huh?Starting watching when he heard about the incest? Interesting :hmm:  :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

FunkMonk

Quote from: HVC on September 13, 2022, 09:57:24 PMEpisode 4, huh?Starting watching when he heard about the incest? Interesting :hmm:  :P

:yuk:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Live action little mermaid is going to suck like the other disney live action remakes. The racists don't have to pin it on race.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

celedhring

Yeah, House of the Dragon is comfortably the best fantasy show of the past few years. The writing is just heads and shoulders above all the other shows that are not GoT. Watching this and RoP (which I don't hate) the same week is really a stark contrast.

When they announced they were developing 20000 new Westeros shows I was worried they would just milk the cow with mediocrity, but so far I'm happy to be proven wrong.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 14, 2022, 01:53:06 AMWhen they announced they were developing 20000 new Westeros shows I was worried they would just milk the cow with mediocrity, but so far I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Yeah, when they announced a bunch of prequels it really gave the appearance of milking the IP for all of its worth. It was somehow comforting to see that they were willing to ax the apparent frontrunner (the Long Night one) even after a pilot had been shot and several millions sank into it, as it showed that they were keeping their standards.

The Larch

Btw, just read an interview with one of the actors from Andor, the upcoming Star Wars show, and he tells of the, frankly, extremely ridiculous length that the show's production tried to keep secrecy around it. He speaks about the following:

- When casting, they weren't told they were doing so for a Star Wars show, using instead a made up code name for a show described only as "military drama". They were only told it was a Star Wars show when given the role.
- When shooting, they were never given full scripts, only partial ones with the scenes involving their characters, with the context for the scenes only explained to the actors right before shooting them.
- At the shooting, instead of employing "Andor" as the name of the show, they kept using the fake code name employed for the casting all along for all production materials.
- Actors' dressing rooms weren't labelled with the actors real names, but with fake ones, and during their route from the dressing rooms to the set actors would be covered by big dark blankets in order to prevent paparazzi pictures from being taken.

I don't know how much of that stuff is standard precautions for big productions and how much is Disney paranoia, but it seems to me that they seriously overrate the interest for that particular show.

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on September 14, 2022, 04:44:03 AMBtw, just read an interview with one of the actors from Andor, the upcoming Star Wars show, and he tells of the, frankly, extremely ridiculous length that the show's production tried to keep secrecy around it. He speaks about the following:

- When casting, they weren't told they were doing so for a Star Wars show, using instead a made up code name for a show described only as "military drama". They were only told it was a Star Wars show when given the role.
- When shooting, they were never given full scripts, only partial ones with the scenes involving their characters, with the context for the scenes only explained to the actors right before shooting them.
- At the shooting, instead of employing "Andor" as the name of the show, they kept using the fake code name employed for the casting all along for all production materials.
- Actors' dressing rooms weren't labelled with the actors real names, but with fake ones, and during their route from the dressing rooms to the set actors would be covered by big dark blankets in order to prevent paparazzi pictures from being taken.

I don't know how much of that stuff is standard precautions for big productions and how much is Disney paranoia, but it seems to me that they seriously overrate the interest for that particular show.

A lot of this is pretty standard for shows intent on keeping secrecy (some of them, like not revealing details of the show during auditions, are very standard regardless of that). The only silly part of it is covering people with blankets and stuff. Everything else I've seen it done before - heck I've worked in shows that have done some of them.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 14, 2022, 05:08:08 AM
Quote from: The Larch on September 14, 2022, 04:44:03 AMBtw, just read an interview with one of the actors from Andor, the upcoming Star Wars show, and he tells of the, frankly, extremely ridiculous length that the show's production tried to keep secrecy around it. He speaks about the following:

A lot of this is pretty standard for shows intent on keeping secrecy (some of them, like not revealing details of the show during auditions, are very standard regardless of that). The only silly part of it is covering people with blankets and stuff. Everything else I've seen it done before - heck I've worked in shows that have done some of them.

Ok, so the secrecy paranoia is an industry-wide issue, then.  :P

celedhring

Quote from: The Larch on September 14, 2022, 05:17:52 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 14, 2022, 05:08:08 AM

Ok, so the secrecy paranoia is an industry-wide issue, then.  :P

Well, spoilers can certainly kill some shows in the age of Internet. For example I worked in a whodunit and everybody was terrified about the identity of the killer getting leaked. I think only actors involved in the scenes where it was revealed knew it (outside of the creative/production team). And it's not that it was a major show or anything, but it had some Internet following.

Josquius

Its cute that they still think people care about the disney+ star wars shows.
██████
██████
██████