News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: Gups on September 15, 2022, 10:30:01 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on September 13, 2022, 09:18:31 PMI've avoided House of the Dragon but I just watched these 4 episodes and wow, and it's really really good.

Surprised that you and others think that. Average IMO. Some good acting. Some pretty poor acting. Storyline seems a bit random and not very interesting. Dialogue OK but nothing like as good as early GoT with no humour. It's fine and I'll probably watch to the end but I hope it improves.   

Spot on. Raenyra is not a particularly good actress, that teenage queen marginally better. Daemon is always a hoot.

The main problem for me is that so far the storyline is very very "meh". It's also oh so serious all the time.

HVC

They also have Ralph Fiennes nephew playing the evil portuguese character thus denying a hard working portuguese actor a job :( :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

See Season 3 has half the cast from Stargate Atlantis
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on September 21, 2022, 06:13:38 AM"See".

A show on Apple TV

I can't see a show on Apple TV because I don't subscribe.  As a matter of curiosity, what show on Apple TV are you referring to?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on September 20, 2022, 10:04:55 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 20, 2022, 07:57:24 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 19, 2022, 10:13:33 PMYeah Dahomey was a slave economy with a military whose biggest job was to capture people to sell to Euros which was the main source of the kingdom's wealth.

That seems like a pretty dark thing to explore so I can see why they would prefer to focus on the more romantic aspects. But if they did leave that out how is that "no sugar coating the slave trade"?
An African kingdom is depicted as a willing participant in the slave trade and fighting white people who tell them it's really bad to enslave other human beings and they shouldn't be doing it.

You do not understand why this creates some modicum amount of controversy online? ;)

I am sure it does. But it is what happened after all  :P

But of course the anti-slavery actions of the British Empire was utilized in its Imperial expansion in Africa so if you need to have bad white people you can still have that while saying the facts.
Pftt.  Facts.  Who cares about facts? :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HVC

*SPOILER*

He was going to let her die in the elements, he's that much of a dick, but she pissed him off.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

viper37

I'm on the second episode of House of Dragons.

I was hooked to GoT by then.  I'm not hooked to that new show.  It may have potential, but I much prefer the Rings of Power.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Zoupa

The best fantasy show since GoT season 5 has been The Witcher.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

Syt

Loved the latest episode of Lower Decks.

I feel the "we just want to study quasars" shout from Boimler may have been a reference to SF Debris's review of First Contact where he raised the point that there's probably a lot of people aboard the Enterprise who only signed up to be scientists, voice acting one unlucky crew member saying, "I just wanted to study quasars!" :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Stop trapping people inside of games :D

Syt

That was great too. As were the Conspiracy Truthers. :D

Trek Culture raised an interesting bit: in the flashback, the shady figure overseeing Rutherford's cybernatic implants procedure wears a TNG era com badge, which would put this in the timeline somewhere between season 3 TNG (uniform) and season 3 DS9 (change of com badge). Which rightfully raises the question - how long has he been an ensign? Longer than Harry Kim? :o
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.