News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on December 15, 2021, 05:23:07 AM
Black Anne Boleyn was 100% just for the outrage.

The Great seems honest in not giving a shit in its casting.

Interesting this topic just keeps appearing.

I can get past it in The Great because it doesn't pretend to be a biopic and is purely satire.

Boleyn on the other hand ...
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on December 15, 2021, 05:07:01 AM
It is my impression that in these movies/TV shows/plays it is usually one actor with a non-matching skin colour. It's hard not to think they are being included as a token black person to generate some outrage from the usual retards and thus generate some free marketing.
It may shock you to hear that a new play at the Young Vic has somehow not generated any outrage anywhere :lol:

As I say neutral casting is very much the norm in theatre for race, gender, age etc (I think because part of theatre is that it's artificial and we all know it's artificial). It just struck me as an interesting example especially given that it's to play an American conservative icon.

QuoteThanks for this, Sheilbh. <_<
Sorry - but the reviews are great.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: Syt on December 16, 2021, 11:55:25 AM
Villeneuve to direct Rendezvous With Rama, produced by the same company as Blade Runner 2049.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/denis-villeneuve-rendezvous-with-rama-movie-1235062337/

WOW...he must have heard me...I brought that up like a month ago  :) (And you guys all said it was unfilmable ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Villeneuve to direct Rendezvous With Rama, produced by the same company as Blade Runner 2049.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/denis-villeneuve-rendezvous-with-rama-movie-1235062337/

I want to encourage Hollywood to keep making science fiction movies.

But Rendezvous with Rama never really struck me as being very adaptable to being a motion picture.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Habbaku

I have faith in St. Denis.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Josephus

Quote from: Josephus on November 10, 2021, 06:39:00 AM
Quote from: celedhring on November 09, 2021, 08:52:23 AM
Oh, and if we're talking Arthur C. Clarke I'd much rather have somebody adapt Childhood's End (I refuse to acknowledge the SyFy version).

Yeah, that was terrible.

And let's also do Rendezvous with Rama once we're at it.

Denis? Denis? Are you on this forum  :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Barrister on December 16, 2021, 12:00:31 PM

But Rendezvous with Rama never really struck me as being very adaptable to being a motion picture.
I want to encourage Hollywood to keep giving unfilmable sci-fi adaptations to Villeneuve.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 16, 2021, 12:20:14 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 16, 2021, 12:00:31 PM

I want to encourage Hollywood to keep giving unfilmable sci-fi adaptations to Villeneuve.

That book doesn't even have an actual plot  :lol:

Visually it should be breath-taking, though.

Maladict

Josquius

It'll be just like Dune (part 1) with people being lost and confused when it suddenly ends with a whimper ... Only it is the actual end of the book.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on December 16, 2021, 03:17:03 PM
It'll be just like Dune (part 1) with people being lost and confused when it suddenly ends with a whimper ... Only it is the actual end of the book.

Yeah...but there are three sequels, I believe
Civis Romanus Sum

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on December 16, 2021, 07:17:47 PM
Quote from: Tyr on December 16, 2021, 03:17:03 PM

Yeah...but there are three sequels, I believe

Yeah, and the ending is... well lets just say the books are more about the journey than the destination - literally.