News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

This season of Dr. Who was terrible.  I really really wanted to like it.  But it never got better and if anything got worse.  They tried to go with way too many plot lines, plot twists, and twists within twists - and never really pulled any of it off.  I stopped caring if anyone would survive.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 07, 2021, 03:20:58 PM
This season of Dr. Who was terrible.  I really really wanted to like it.  But it never got better and if anything got worse.  They tried to go with way too many plot lines, plot twists, and twists within twists - and never really pulled any of it off.  I stopped caring if anyone would survive.
Yes, it was quite a mess. Too much thrown into the mix and a lot of it just undeveloped and forgotten.
I like what they tried to do. A 6 part serial. But it wasn't great.
My big question is are vin and his girlfriend meant to be super human looking aliens or future humans as they just isn't made clear.
They've interestingly screwed up the universe out of it too. Which I guess makes a nice realistic change from Dr who's constant worst threat ever one upmanship and reset switch
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 07, 2021, 03:20:58 PM
I feel like that's been a growing problem since Moffat took over - which is probably why everyone's very excited about Russell T Davies coming back.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Thrilled someone's written this article so I'm not just an old man with an inexplicable beef against something modern:
https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/heres-why-movie-dialogue-has-gotten-more-difficult-to-understand-and-three-ways-to-fix-it/
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

I tried watching Rocky 1 & 2 in its original english version a few years ago.  I had to switch to the French dubbed version because I couldn't understand Stallone.

I also remember one of the first movies I saw in its original english version: Judge Dredd.  I only remember "I am the law" from Stallone.

It ain't a new phenomena.  Lots of acors had unclear pronounciation back in the days.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I like these click bait articles.
20 movies you probably didn't realize were propaganda

First picture:

Really?  That was propaganda?  Never noticed a thing! :D :P

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on December 07, 2021, 10:55:53 PM

First picture:

I mean, the list includes Triumph of the Will. :lmfao:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on December 07, 2021, 11:33:50 PM
yeah, the "Never suspected part" was a bit too much, once I started looking at the list :P

Syt

Re-watching The Good Place. Still great. :)

I watched TGP before Parks & Rec last year. So having Adam Scott who was the nicest guy in the world in P&C and be a complete jerk is far more hilarious this time. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on December 09, 2021, 01:35:02 PM

I watched TGP before Parks & Rec last year. So having Adam Scott who was the nicest guy in the world in P&C and be a complete jerk is far more hilarious this time. :lol:

I've watched The Good Place 2 and a half times now.  Great show.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on December 09, 2021, 01:35:02 PM

I assume that the point of having Adam Scott doing that jerk role in TGP was precisely the contrast with his P&R character, and yes, it is hillarious.  :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 07, 2021, 06:23:22 PM
Thrilled someone's written this article so I'm not just an old man with an inexplicable beef against something modern:
https://www.slashfilm.com/673162/heres-why-movie-dialogue-has-gotten-more-difficult-to-understand-and-three-ways-to-fix-it/

So it's mostly Nolan, crappy cinemas, crappè compression on streaming services plus not so good TV speakers and/or sound system, non-classically trained actors who cannot articulate (happens in French cinema too).

I guess reverting to post-sync, Italian-style, is out of the question.  :D
Alternatively, one could watch other movies.  :P

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Syt on December 07, 2021, 11:33:50 PM
Quote from: viper37 on December 07, 2021, 10:55:53 PM

First picture:

Yeah, list is hilarious. Nearly all of those are well-known propaganda movies. Birth of a Nation, Red Dawn, Top Gun, Battleship Potemkin, The Green Berets or even Casablanca in a way. Of course, there are some very significant movies with a propaganda aspect.

The notable exception would be Star Wars, unless paying tribute to a well-done shot in Triumph of the Will, without any nod to the nazi ideology, counts.

Eddie Teach

Apocalypse Now Redux. I think this may be the perfect Vietnam war movie.   :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

FunkMonk

Succession talk: The season finale was fantastic all around but I will say that Cousin Greg continuing to fail upward is a personal favorite thread in the show for me  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.