News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Rewatched Finest Hour.  I don't get the criticism, I think it's wonderful.

In the final fight them on the beaches scene it's the Liberals are whooping up a storm and the Tories are sitting on their hands.  Is this accurate?  Was the Tory rank and file for a negotiated peace?

Gups

Apparently so  (at least according to Churchill's wife). BUt hard to know as no television or even a recording (the recording we all hear was in fact made in 1949). MPs would have been very despressed following Dunkirk.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 17, 2021, 06:44:46 AMRewatched Finest Hour.  I don't get the criticism, I think it's wonderful.
The train scene :lol: :bleeding:

QuoteIn the final fight them on the beaches scene it's the Liberals are whooping up a storm and the Tories are sitting on their hands.  Is this accurate?  Was the Tory rank and file for a negotiated peace?
The Labour benches, no? But broadly, yeah.

The film does Chamberlain down though - he was key as was Labour's support because they were committed to the war and fiercely anti-Nazi. So my understanding is that in the War Cabinet debates, Arthur Greenwood (Deputy Labour leader) is a very vocal supporter of Churchill's line and against approaching Mussolini. It understates the role of Labour - Attlee and Greenwood are barely characters. And I think the real challenge at that point was convincing Chamberlain in the War Cabinet - because he was still Tory leader and still popular with the Tories - to not align with Halifax, who was the Tory choice as PM.
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

That doesn't sound right Shelf. Chrurchill, Greenwood and Attlee formed a majority of the war cabinet so no need to persuade Chamberlain.

Earlier, Halifax had refused to be PM when asked by Chamberlain. Labour were crucial in getting Churchill the job because they refused to serve in a national government under Chamberlain.

Tamas

Say what you will, the Shermans vs. Tiger scene in Fury is pretty great. IDK how realistic it is, but it's pretty great.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tamas on December 17, 2021, 08:48:12 AM
Say what you will, the Shermans vs. Tiger scene in Fury is pretty great. IDK how realistic it is, but it's pretty great.

Agreed.  Loved that scene.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on December 17, 2021, 08:48:12 AM

Why were ze Shermans fighting a Tiger?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Gups on December 17, 2021, 08:45:25 AM
That doesn't sound right Shelf. Chrurchill, Greenwood and Attlee formed a majority of the war cabinet so no need to persuade Chamberlain.

Earlier, Halifax had refused to be PM when asked by Chamberlain. Labour were crucial in getting Churchill the job because they refused to serve in a national government under Chamberlain.
That's right - but my understanding was the Tories still didn't like Churchill, but did like Chamberlain (and wanted Halifax as PM) and Chamberlain was still party leader. So the votes were there, but it was all Churchill and Labour - I'm not sure if the coalition would have collapsed or anything like that but it would have caused huge issues if Tory backbenchers knew their current leader and preferred PM were being ignore. It might have just left Churchill, his supporters and Labour.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Really enjoyng Yellowjackets :blush:

It is right up my street in terms the genres they've chosen to mash together.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Vigil - so apparently half the navy are Scottish and its really diverse ethnically.
Lots of twists albeit many of them expected. Dumb in the extreme that the one cop they'd decide to send to solve the case on the submarine happens to be the one with the drowning trauma.
I dunno. It's very flashy and it isn't awful... But it does seem too dumb for how big it is. Shame they couldn't put the same budget towards something less basic.
And don't the navy have their own police? Why would they need a civilian cop? :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

Threviel

Quote from: Tyr on December 17, 2021, 04:14:48 PM
And don't the navy have their own police? Why would they need a civilian cop? :hmm:

I've only seen half and I agree with your assessment. I think the explanation was that since Vigil was inside British territorial waters it's under civil and not military jurisdiction.

[spoiler]The most stupid thing is that they imply that a nuclear reactor accident on a British submarine in a US port killing two US civilians would be hushed up with the help of the US navy. And that after that the US navy would shadow UK subs.[/spoiler]

Sheilbh

Well it's the Line of Duty team isn't it? I think their early Line of Duty stuff was good precisely because it was never particularly high stakes but they've just kept going so now you mass shoot-outs in Birmingham in Line of Duty, or the Bodyguard and it's all a little bit over the top but very flashy.
Let's bomb Russia!

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on December 16, 2021, 12:01:08 PM
I have faith in St. Denis.
I too, but only if Montjoie is with him. ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Incidentally - Tamas, did you ever watch Stath Lets Flats?

Just finished the third and, I think, last series. It's very good.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Finished S1 of Succession. I like it. Plan to keep watching. [spoiler]I hope they either scale back the "Ken makes unforced error just before something important", or go all in and make it a running joke throughout the seasons. Twice in a row was a bit much IMHO.[/spoiler]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.