News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

New It. Though I'm always annoyed at the big bad's real nature, this is a pretty solid film and gets the fact that this is basically a coming of age film with horror right.

But as someone who was horrified at the age of 8 by accidentally watching Tim Curry's version, I wasn't a massive fan of this Pennywise.
Let's bomb Russia!

Savonarola

Superbad (2007)

High school is ending!  Desperate virgins Michael Cera and Jonah Hill have one last chance to get with the girls they like before summer at the big blowout party Emma Stone is hosting.  Their nerdy friend, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, is getting a fake ID in order to buy booze for the party.  Hilarity ensues.

While, yes, this does share the same plot with many of the worst of teenage movies; it does have its moment.  George Michael Bluth's goofy charm serves him well as he gets into ever more awkward scrapes: his rendition of "These Eyes" to the attendees of a cocaine party has to be one of the funniest moments in a boner film.  I also enjoyed Bill Hader's and Seth Rogen's takes on thoroughly irresponsible authority figures.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 22, 2019, 08:24:28 AM
Been binge watching some classic Dragnet. 

Man, they recycled secondary actors so much you'd think it was using an ensemble cast.

The girl's performance in the first part might be my favorite by a one-shot character...especially how she manhandles Friday's partner. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps-MCog3eCE

"WHEELS!"

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on September 23, 2019, 01:38:40 PM
Quote from: Berkut on September 23, 2019, 08:50:46 AM
Saw Ad Astra yesterday.

I commend them for what they were trying to accomplish.
?
That means it feels incomplete?  The plot is twisted and convoluted with no end on sight?  Or it's so shallow you see it from a thousand miles away?

Please expand.

No, the plot isn't twisted. It is almost boringly linear in fact. Almost weirdly so given that the framework of the story is a son going to track down his fathers failed mission. [spoiler]You expect there to be some interesting ploy constructs as he learns WHAT REALLY HAPPENED, and it seems to be setting that up, with a mysterious figure who dies leaving a cryptic warning and everything.

But then the movie kind of is about his trip out there. He goes to the moon! Shooty shooty time! Whew, he made it!

On to Mars! OH NOES THERE IS A PROBLEM ON THE TRIP! But our hero fixes it! (Neither of these things that come up have *anything* to do with the story, btw).

OK, he made it to Mars! Whew! Now he must talk to dad! They shall send a message! (Why didn't they send a message before? Why did he have to go to Mars to record the message to be sent to Neptune? STOP ASKING QUESTIONS!).

Message sent! Is the problemsolved? Of course not! But the Vaguely Evil Sorta Military won't let him go! So he shall go anyway! hijiks ensue! And of course he makes it to Neptune and only goes a little bit crazy on the way?

No matter, here is dear old dad!

Why did the mission fail? Oh, thats why...ok. Boring.

etc., etc., etc.
[/spoiler]
Its trying very hard to be this serious character study of a character who isn't that interesting, with a dad that isn't that interesting, and they give you a story to carry that character study that is really, really, really not that interesting, and with gigantic plot holes and irrelevant diversion all over the place.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

viper37

Ah.  I predict an Oscar for best scenario then! :D

Thank you, I wanted to see this, now I'll skip it for now :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

OK. I watched Borat in The Spy. He was pretty good. Show was excellent.
The only thing I didn't get is how easy the Israelis were able to place him in South America as a very successful textile factory owner. I didn't get how that worked. Wouldn't the Syrians in Argentina wonder how they'd never heard of this successful entrepreneur before, and all of a sudden he's all over the place. Wouldn't that Syrian security guy who was suspicious from the get-go have done a better background check.

Once I got past that, though, it was very intense. I like the Osama Bin Laden cameo :lol:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Berkut

Quote from: viper37 on September 24, 2019, 11:29:18 PM
Ah.  I predict an Oscar for best scenario then! :D

Thank you, I wanted to see this, now I'll skip it for now :)

probably worth watching when it comes out on some streaming service.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

Have been watching the original series of James Burke's 'Connections' - thoroughly enjoying it, some of the featured modern technology is outdated, but content, humour and ideas have aged very well.  :bowler:

Helps that it's a very decent transfer to DVD, much better than watching on youtube.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on September 25, 2019, 06:55:30 AM
The only thing I didn't get is how easy the Israelis were able to place him in South America as a very successful textile factory owner. I didn't get how that worked. Wouldn't the Syrians in Argentina wonder how they'd never heard of this successful entrepreneur before, and all of a sudden he's all over the place. Wouldn't that Syrian security guy who was suspicious from the get-go have done a better background check.

Once I got past that, though, it was very intense. I like the Osama Bin Laden cameo :lol:

Business based in Switzerland as import export.  They did devote a couple of scenes to his story getting checked out.  But I agree that could have been better developed.  The real story of how they pulled it off would be a great read.

Josquius

Watching Carnival Row I had a similar brief 'huh?' moment in one part where a character illegally breaks into a museum...but of course it's set in a world with 19th century technology so there's no CCTV or cameras or anything.
In the mid 20th century it wasn't beyond belief that there could be a successful person in another town in your own country that you hadn't heard of and it would be difficult to check up on them. Pre-internet that shit was hard.
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on September 25, 2019, 10:27:06 AM

Watching Carnival Row I had a similar brief 'huh?' moment in one part where a character illegally breaks into a museum...but of course it's set in a world with 19th century technology so there's no CCTV or cameras or anything.
In the mid 20th century it wasn't beyond belief that there could be a successful person in another town in your own country that you hadn't heard of and it would be difficult to check up on them. Pre-internet that shit was hard.

Not so sure. I mean it wouldn't be that hard to figure out that no one heard of this very successful businessman before.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Decided to watch some more horror to get in the mood for Halloween.

Watch the 70s classics first, I thought. They won't be as actually scary as modern horror, I thought.

And yet here I am in a flat. On my own with all the lights on.

Don't Look Now and Halloween were the latest instalments :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

I like to have Christopher Lee reading Edgar Allen Poe on loop during October :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Some of my favorite Halloween viewing:

1. The Changeling. A classic haunted house ghost story.

2. Over the Garden Wall. A mini-series, basically movie length. Ostensibly for children, but really well done modern animation and genuinely creepy without being at all gory.

3. The Nightmare Before Christmas. Silly fun. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

The flick with Naomi Watts and that girl crawling out of the  well is pretty creepy if that's what you're going for.