TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on September 26, 2019, 08:54:52 AM
Quote from: Josephus on September 26, 2019, 07:58:25 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 25, 2019, 03:35:02 PM
Some of my favorite Halloween viewing:

1. The Changeling. A classic haunted house ghost story.

Amen to that. Low budget Canuck film with George C. Scott. Probably my favourite horror film. The wet ball dropping down the stairs gets me all the time.

The vision of the little boy rising from the well did it for me.

The Haunting (1963) is the best horror movie I've ever seen.    Really great cinematography and writing obviated the need for guys in rubber suits to create terror.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on September 27, 2019, 09:34:01 AM
The Haunting (1963) is the best horror movie I've ever seen.    Really great cinematography and writing obviated the need for guys in rubber suits to create terror.

I haven't seen that one.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely try to hunt it down.  :)

I love horror movies that don't rely on jump scares and gore. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2019, 09:43:32 AM
Quote from: grumbler on September 27, 2019, 09:34:01 AM

I haven't seen that one.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll definitely try to hunt it down.  :)

I love horror movies that don't rely on jump scares and gore.

That's what I miss about Blockbuster and video stores. Trying to track down old movies these days is tough. Netflix is great if you want stuff released five weeks ago... but otherwise ...
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Sheilbh

Nightmare on Elm Street. Weird how iconically scary this and Hellraiser were (meant to be) when I was a kid. Solid, with some lovely visual moments of horror. But actually not a patch on the other classic horrors I've watched recently.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 27, 2019, 02:29:14 PM
Nightmare on Elm Street. Weird how iconically scary this and Hellraiser were (meant to be) when I was a kid. Solid, with some lovely visual moments of horror. But actually not a patch on the other classic horrors I've watched recently.

Which other classics horrors? Hard to judge without the other films being compared.

Incidentally, I was watching the other night the Nightmare on Elm Street since I could not sleep.
Have not watched in a long while the Hellraiser movies.

Sheilbh

Friday the 13th, Halloween, Don't Look Now.
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 27, 2019, 02:52:10 PM
Friday the 13th, Halloween, Don't Look Now.

Well, Friday the 13th, as a Halloween rip-off can't even compare to Nightmare on Elm Street. Sequels made Jason a boogeyman teenager idol but still way below Freddy Krueger. Jason can't talk for starters.
Halloween, now that's a seminal movie but it has aged more than I thought the last time I saw it in a Carpenter movie marathon. Unlike, say, the later Thing.
Don't look Now, I did not watch so I cannot comment.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2019, 08:58:14 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2019, 08:11:59 PM
So I'm watching Trailer Park Boys.  Not as clever as I remember it

Takes backs.  Ep 3 is pretty funny.

Holy shit.  That's 13 year old Ellen Page.

Eddie Teach

The I-Land. It's like Lost, but only 7 episodes long and has an explanation.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Watching The Untold History of the United States on Netflix. Wow America you suck :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

Quote from: HVC on September 28, 2019, 07:51:57 AM
Watching The Untold History of the United States on Netflix. Wow America you suck :P

Well, Oliver Stone certainly thinks so.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.