News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

I've started watching "Bojack Horseman."  Thus far the description of J.D. Salinger as: "A man whose inspired millions of English teachers, eighth graders and the occasional assassin" is my favorite line.  Who knew John Hinckley and Mark David Chapman could inspire such joy?  :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on September 25, 2019, 03:18:43 PM
I like to have Christopher Lee reading Edgar Allen Poe on loop during October :P
It is nice to embrace the season.

Honestly I wish we properly got into Halloween and weren't so fucking snobbish about it :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Lilyhammer.  Steve van Zandt is a wise guy who asks for witness protection in Norway.  He listens to language tapes on the train and is able to understand the language (but not speak it).  He beats up a punk on the train and wins the semi-hottie love interest's admiration.  He shoots a wolf with a 32.

This is pretty clearly a vanity project by Steverino.  He's got a producer credit.

Lot's of opportunities for laughs but none get exploited.  All the scenes are just Steve being awesome and winning the day.

Only one episode, so I'm guessing a pilot that didn't get picked up.

Liep

Lilyhammer has 3 seasons on Netflix, I got 6 episodes in before quitting.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sophie Scholl

Three episodes in and I am thoroughly enjoying Carnival Row.  I know a lot of people here have said it was "meh", but I'm digging the story, the aesthetic, and the performers so far.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Tamas

Quote from: Savonarola on September 25, 2019, 04:06:34 PM
I've started watching "Bojack Horseman."  Thus far the description of J.D. Salinger as: "A man whose inspired millions of English teachers, eighth graders and the occasional assassin" is my favorite line.  Who knew John Hinckley and Mark David Chapman could inspire such joy?  :)

The indulgent self-pity really gets tiresome in that series.

frunk

I love the show, but I can understand it not being to everyone's taste.

The Larch

Community turns 10 this month. Damn how time flies...

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on September 25, 2019, 03:35:02 PM
Some of my favorite Halloween viewing:

1. The Changeling. A classic haunted house ghost story.

Amen to that. Low budget Canuck film with George C. Scott. Probably my favourite horror film. The wet ball dropping down the stairs gets me all the time.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on September 26, 2019, 07:58:25 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 25, 2019, 03:35:02 PM
Some of my favorite Halloween viewing:

1. The Changeling. A classic haunted house ghost story.

Amen to that. Low budget Canuck film with George C. Scott. Probably my favourite horror film. The wet ball dropping down the stairs gets me all the time.

The vision of the little boy rising from the well did it for me.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Really interesting BBC documentary on the anti-vax movement.

Interesting how current it is to see Andrew Wakefield, struck off, humiliated, discredited in the UK in mid 2000s. Rather than disappearing he saw it as proof there was a conspiracy and move to the US to spread the message.

Also very striking how locally inflected the movements are: the US speakers all seem to be largely worried about a government conspiracy/coverup; the French speakers are suspicious that drug companies are making dangerous products, to make more profits and scientists are in their pay.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

I watched "They shall not grow old".  I've never seen anything like it before.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Finished all the available Peaky Blinders.  Just can't work up the mojo for Stranger Things.  So I'm watching Trailer Park Boys.  Not as clever as I remember it, but I do enjoy the skinny blonde hottie.

Can one of the Kebeckers tell me how common the family name Tremblay is?  I noticed one of the actors had that last name (I'm guessing Julian) as did a stripper I talked to in Montreal.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2019, 08:11:59 PM
So I'm watching Trailer Park Boys.  Not as clever as I remember it

Takes backs.  Ep 3 is pretty funny.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2019, 08:11:59 PMCan one of the Kebeckers tell me how common the family name Tremblay is?  I noticed one of the actors had that last name (I'm guessing Julian) as did a stripper I talked to in Montreal.

#1 most common name in Quebec.

It made it to the US, in addition to varieties such as Shaker or Twombly. 
Que le grand cric me croque !