News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on September 17, 2019, 03:00:41 PM
Pff, a few years ago I watched the Clint Eastwood movie Firefox which I liked as a kid. Imagine my surprise when I noticed that the scenes taking place in Moscow were all filmed in Vienna. :P

Prague is usually a stand in for films supposedly taking place in some other European City. It has the advantage of being frozen in time by the Soviets and not being destroyed in WWII. A rare combo.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2019, 03:05:18 PM
Pff, a few years ago I watched the Clint Eastwood movie Firefox which I liked as a kid. Imagine my surprise when I noticed that the scenes taking place in Moscow were all filmed in Vienna. :P

Prague is usually a stand in for films supposedly taking place in some other European City. It has the advantage of being frozen in time by the Soviets and not being destroyed in WWII. A rare combo.
I also feel sorry for Ireland. Spends 800 years fighting for freedom then Dublin spends half the time dressed up as London :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

There are countless films and television shows set in Seattle, but alas filmed in that squalid backwater nearby known as Vancouver.  :(

Duque de Bragança

Better than a Steven Seagal DTV shot in Romania with BTRs and Kalashnikov rifles equipping what was trying to pass as French Army or Gendarmes.  :P Or dialog such as " we'll got to Bastia, just outside of Bordeaux". That's Attack Farce if you really want to check.  :P
The MTK Budapest stadium made a fine Colombes stadium though in Escape to Victory. Frozen in time by the Soviets but Budapest was damaged during WWII.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2019, 01:27:59 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 17, 2019, 12:51:52 PM
You guys don't seem to understand Tamas' point. It's not the scale of the inaccuracy, it's the stupidity of it, and the laziness behind it. It taints the rest of the period piece.

I understand it, I just happen to disagree with it.

It's like a gun buff complaining that the gun used by a gangster is the wrong make for the year it was supposed to be filmed in - and that's why he refuses to watch The Godfather. Or that the manufacturing process for making meth was wrong in Breaking Bad

Taste is individual and all, but if you reject something for such a minor reason, one that makes zero difference to the plot, it seems like you are losing out if it is otherwise a good thing.
hmm.
Let's see.
Having Romans use stirrups in tv shows / movies because they are required by the insurer and because it's really hard to find people trained in the use of horses without styrrups nowadays is a minor issue.

Having Russians invade America from the Rockies in the Seven Years War is the equivalent to showing Churchill at Verdun and it's not a minor detail, and given that it's only mentionned in passing, it is not only distracting, but a sign of lazyness and makes you wonder about all the inacuracies you did not spot.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2019, 02:37:55 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 17, 2019, 02:29:58 PM
Somme, Ypres, Paschendale. Maybe Gallipoli. We are a *dreadful* ally.

If you polled 100 people on the street, how many do you think would be familiar with Ypres and Pashendale?

Special bonus added question: how did the British soldiers pronounce Ypres?
most of those 100 would not even know who was WW1 fought against.  Not really a reference :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Having Russians invade America from the Rockies in the Seven Years War is the equivalent to showing Churchill at Verdun and it's not a minor detail, and given that it's only mentionned in passing, it is not only distracting, but a sign of lazyness and makes you wonder about all the inacuracies you did not spot.

These analogies just keep getting worse.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on September 17, 2019, 03:40:40 PM

Having Russians invade America from the Rockies in the Seven Years War is the equivalent to showing Churchill at Verdun

This has to be the most absurd thing I've heard yet.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2019, 03:52:36 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 17, 2019, 03:40:40 PM

Having Russians invade America from the Rockies in the Seven Years War is the equivalent to showing Churchill at Verdun

This has to be the most absurd thing I've heard yet.  :lol:

Absurd? Was it absurd when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Geez veep.  :lol:

I propose Australians at Guadalcanal or Midway.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 17, 2019, 03:51:17 PM

Especially since Red Dawn isn't history.  :P

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2019, 03:57:27 PM

I propose the Giant Ants of Guadalupe Hidalgo.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2019, 03:57:27 PM

Or Americans at El Alamein.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 17, 2019, 04:00:33 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 17, 2019, 03:51:17 PM

Especially since Red Dawn isn't history.  :P

So Russia would need support from Spanish-held Mexico and Cuba to invade?  :hmm: Did Spain sell Florida to the US in this reality btw? Or they could sell it to Russia... :tinfoil:

Razgovory

Maybe they were talking about that one time that Churchill got in a punch-up with a French farmer.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017