News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2019, 02:26:00 PM
The better analogy would be using drum magazines when in reality only box magazines were ever used at that time: a detail a history buff would know, but no one else is likely to notice.

I guess I disagree that the first thing that pops up on google when entering something is really expert level knowledge. It is not like Tamas was an expert on exactly where Churchill was but he knew enough to know he wasn't French.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

I'm still mad that the German's in "Patton" were driving American tanks.

But at least the tank driver's themselves were fascists (even if Spanish ones).

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 17, 2019, 02:45:59 PM
I'm still mad that the German's in "Patton" were driving American tanks.

I liked how the otherwise very entertaining movie about the Battle of the Bulge had a tank fight in the middle of a desert. I mean isn't supposed to be snowing?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Tonitrus

As a Texan, you would appreciate the John Wayne classic "The Comencharos" depicting the terrain between Galveston and Louisiana appearing similar to Monument valley.  :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 17, 2019, 02:37:55 PM
If you polled 100 people on the street, how many do you think would be familiar with Ypres and Pashendale?
Maybe 4-5%. You gave a list of WW1 battles more people would recognise them.

Ypres has Menin Gate (the Commonwealth memorial), the battlefields round there are like the Normandy beaches for Americans. There's driving tours, loads of UK (and, I imagine, Commonwealth) focused tourism.

QuoteSpecial bonus added question: how did the British soldiers pronounce Ypres?
They used to pronounce it Wipers. There was a recent TV show about a paper done by soldiers on the front called the Wipers Times.

We are now more accustomed to French ways and would call it ee-pre, which is almost certainly still wrong :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Tonitrus on September 17, 2019, 02:48:44 PM
As a Texan, you would appreciate the John Wayne classic "The Comencharos" depicting the terrain between Galveston and Louisiana appearing similar to Monument valley.  :P

The Alamo had the same thing. I mean who knew San Antonio was so desolate?

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2019, 02:43:06 PM
The better analogy would be using drum magazines when in reality only box magazines were ever used at that time: a detail a history buff would know, but no one else is likely to notice.

I guess I disagree that the first thing that pops up on google when entering something is really expert level knowledge. It is not like Tamas was an expert on exactly where Churchill was but he knew enough to know he wasn't French.

This is a website that devolved from the comment board for Europa Universalis - everyone here is, to a certain amount, a history buff practically by definition.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

My favorite John Wayne classic is when he played that notable cowboy, Ghengis Khan.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2019, 02:51:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2019, 02:43:06 PM

This is a website that devolved from the comment board for Europa Universalis - everyone here is, to a certain amount, a history buff practically by definition.  :D

Well...that is true. And Tamas worked on a WWI strategy game once...but still  :P

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2019, 02:52:38 PM

My favorite John Wayne classic is when he played that notable cowboy, Ghengis Khan.  :lol:

Ah Hollywood back before it had to worry about exporting its films abroad.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2019, 02:53:42 PM
Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2019, 02:52:38 PM

Ah Hollywood back before it had to worry about exporting its films abroad.
Or history buffs.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 17, 2019, 02:55:28 PM

Or history buffs.

We didn't have wikipedia back then. "Wait...it says here Ghenhis Khan wasn't a cowboy!"

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2019, 02:57:41 PM

Or history buffs.

We didn't have wikipedia back then. "Wait...it says here Ghenhis Khan wasn't a cowboy!"

Actually - if you read the Secret History of the Mongols - he kinda was. In the sense that he was a guy who earned his living herding animals on horseback.

Before he became an all-conquering warlord, that is.  ;)

Syt

Pff, a few years ago I watched the Clint Eastwood movie Firefox which I liked as a kid. Imagine my surprise when I noticed that the scenes taking place in Moscow were all filmed in Vienna. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on September 17, 2019, 03:00:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2019, 02:57:41 PM

Or history buffs.

Actually - if you read the Secret History of the Mongols - he kinda was. In the sense that he was a guy who earned his living herding animals on horseback.
"I did not expect so much of this book to be about beans."
Let's bomb Russia!