News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

If a shows not trying to sell itself as a historically accurate show then the stuff like that doesn't bother me.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on September 17, 2019, 11:05:57 AM
If a shows not trying to sell itself as a historically accurate show then the stuff like that doesn't bother me.

You have low standards.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on September 17, 2019, 10:56:15 AM
I guess it gave them a chance to introduce a new male character?

No, he was quickly killed off.

Quote from: Tamas on September 17, 2019, 10:56:15 AM
Point is, in that scene, there was ZERO reason to say the Brits were at Verdun. Churchill listed like 3 or 4 battles, probably the result of a quick Google search of "great battles of WW1". As Atomic Ant said above, it's just a pointless dump on the viewer.

Okay but at your work do you say complete all tasks perfectly? Do you research every potential thing or are you ultimately working in a business and sometimes have to settle for good enough?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

I've only watched the first 2 episodes of the show but I'm with Tamas.

Adding Brits to Verdun is frankly insulting.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

HVC

Quote from: Tamas on September 17, 2019, 11:10:04 AM
Quote from: HVC on September 17, 2019, 11:05:57 AM

You have low standards.

Do you sit there watching sci fi shows and complaining warp drive would never work? I see it in the same light. Its a way to build a world or a scene. They're not trying to trick me.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2019, 11:11:54 AM

Okay but at your work do you say complete all tasks perfectly? Do you research every potential thing or are you ultimately working in a business and sometimes have to settle for good enough?

Adding the Brits to Verdun is not a minor detail, especially as it wasn't some side remark in some meaningless scene. It was Churchill invoking war veteran comradeship to push his point and IIRC save the protagonist's ass.

I am just going to ignore the warp drive bit, talk about apples and oranges.

Tamas

I tried to find this scene, I couldn't but you'll be happy to know there are fans taking the series seriously:

https://peaky-blinders.fandom.com/wiki/Winston_Churchill

QuoteWinston Churchill was the Secretary of State for the Colonies between 1921 and 1922. He was also a soldier, having fought at the battle of Verdun

:lol:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 17, 2019, 11:12:12 AM

Ffs, you're not even French.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Sounds like there's a market for a TV series featuring a rugged group of Russians, veterans of Iwo Jima.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 17, 2019, 07:08:55 AM
They messed up a detail that 99% of their viewers won't notice. Relax.

Why? Are people compelled to like stuff just because other people do?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2019, 12:06:42 PM

No but they don't need to make mountains out of molehills
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on September 17, 2019, 11:50:37 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 17, 2019, 11:12:12 AM

Ffs, you're not even French.

You don't have to be French to have a brain and dislike stupid bullshit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on September 17, 2019, 12:07:53 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 17, 2019, 12:06:42 PM

No but they don't need to make mountains out of molehills

Is posting about it on an obscure message board that like 90 people read really making mountains?