News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2018, 09:18:22 PM
That is the original meaning yes? Animal husbandry and all that?

OK, then how did it come to mean male spouse?  :hmm:

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2018, 09:26:29 PM

Husband is Old English, husbandry is probably medieval.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

A virtuous woman husbands away her favors rather than scattering them to every pretty boy who smiles at her.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

dps

Quote from: PDH on January 19, 2018, 08:58:32 PM
The reason there are only 3 Spitfires is easy - there were only 3 of the right look to fly for the movie.

How many Hurricanes still in flyable condition?  There would have been more of them than Spitfires, anyway.

celedhring

Quote from: KRonn on January 19, 2018, 09:11:00 PM
I'm sure the Spitfires were real, at least in certain scenes. But I wonder about the ME109s and the battle scenes - how much was computer generated or green screened and how much was vintage planes kept restored and flying.

I think it's really cool when movies can use vintage planes, tanks,etc. The Commerative Air Force restores and flies many old planes, takes them to air shows. My town's small air port hosts their planes every few years. The CAF even gives rides on some planes, especially B-17 and maybe the B-24, and even a P-51 converted to 2 seats. It's awesome to see and hear these planes flying over my neighborhood on their take off and landing runs.

Google says that an HA-1112 stood in for the BF-109s - the 1112 is the Spanish version of the 109 built under license, so it's close enough. The Heinkels were represented using an RC model.

Interestingly some of the Spitfire cockpit shots were done in a Yak-52.

It seems they also used RC models for some of the dogfighting scenes. Very little CGI.

Some articles for those interested: https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/dogfighting-over-dunkirk-180964136/
http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/dunkirk.html

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2018, 05:22:02 AM

Google says that an HA-1112 stood in for the BF-109s - the 1112 is the Spanish version of the 109 built under license, so it's close enough. The Heinkels were represented using an RC model.

So, as in the Battle of Britain which has the best air combat scenes ever, without the homoeroticism of Top Gun.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Britain_(film)

QuoteThey also located 27 Hispano Aviación HA-1112 M1L 'Buchon' single-engined fighters, a Spanish version of the German Messerschmitt Bf 109. The Buchons were altered to look more like correct Bf 109Es, adding mock machine guns and cannon, and redundant tailplane struts, and removing the rounded wingtips.[16] The Spanish aircraft were powered by British Rolls-Royce Merlin engines, and thus almost all the aircraft used, British and German alike, were Merlin-powered. [Note 2] After the film, one HA-1112 was donated to the German Luftwaffenmuseum der Bundeswehr, and converted to a Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-2 variant, depicting the insignias of German ace Gustav Rödel.

Two Heinkels and the 17 flyable Messerschmitts (including one dual-controlled HA-1112-M4L two-seater, used for conversion training and as a camera ship), were flown to England to complete the shoot.[10] In the scene where the Polish training squadron breaks off to attack, ("Repeat, please"), the three most distant Hurricanes were Buchons marked as Hurricanes, as there were not enough flyable Hurricanes. In addition to the combat aircraft, two Spanish-built Junkers Ju 52 transports were used.

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on January 19, 2018, 09:36:18 PM

In Swedish "husbonde" means head of a household (which includes real estate like a farm or similar). These days the term is archaic and only used when talking about the olden days. Rumor in Sweden has it that the Russian "gospodin" (sp?) comes from "husbonde", but I've never looked it up.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: The Brain on January 20, 2018, 06:15:37 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 19, 2018, 09:36:18 PM

In Swedish "husbonde" means head of a household (which includes real estate like a farm or similar). These days the term is archaic and only used when talking about the olden days. Rumor in Sweden has it that the Russian "gospodin" (sp?) comes from "husbonde", but I've never looked it up.

"Gospodin" is what we had to call our male teachers back in school (though even that was somewhat old-fashioned).  It seems to be more akin to "master", and is also nearly identical to a word they'll use when referring to Jesus.

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on January 20, 2018, 05:22:02 AM
Quote from: KRonn on January 19, 2018, 09:11:00 PM
I'm sure the Spitfires were real, at least in certain scenes. But I wonder about the ME109s and the battle scenes - how much was computer generated or green screened and how much was vintage planes kept restored and flying.

I think it's really cool when movies can use vintage planes, tanks,etc. The Commerative Air Force restores and flies many old planes, takes them to air shows. My town's small air port hosts their planes every few years. The CAF even gives rides on some planes, especially B-17 and maybe the B-24, and even a P-51 converted to 2 seats. It's awesome to see and hear these planes flying over my neighborhood on their take off and landing runs.

Interestingly some of the Spitfire cockpit shots were done in a Yak-52.

It seems they also used RC models for some of the dogfighting scenes. Very little CGI.

Some articles for those interested: https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/dogfighting-over-dunkirk-180964136/
http://warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/dunkirk.html

Interesting info, thanks.  :)

mongers

Finally caught the last episode of Ken Burns 'The Vietnam War', whilst interesting and moving, it seemed too optimistic as an ending; Three million lives lost is still a huge loss of human capital, what might have some of those have achieved, where might we be now?

In the ending credits I saw this buried towards the end:
"Some archival materials contain scenes that may have been staged by their original creators."
Speaks to a certain thoroughness in the research.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Wow...Season Six of Sons of Anarchy. One of the best full seasons of any series
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on January 23, 2018, 06:28:52 AM

Welcome to 2013!  :P

I believe I left the show in season 5, can't remember for sure. Worthy of being picked again?

Josephus

Quote from: The Larch on January 23, 2018, 07:43:42 AM
Quote from: Josephus on January 23, 2018, 06:28:52 AM

Welcome to 2013!  :P

I believe I left the show in season 5, can't remember for sure. Worthy of being picked again?

Yeah, that's why I'm behind too. I got bored with it at some point. But picked up Season Six. And yeah. A lot happens in Season Six.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Larch

IIRC they're actually producing a spin off show about the Mexican bikers that should come out soon.

Eddie Teach

Was Chris Hemsworth in that?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?