News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on January 09, 2018, 06:15:17 PM
Also, I'm not that familiar with P.T. Barnum's life story but I'm sure as hell it isn't as presented in the film. It's over-sugared to the nth degree.

Oh, of course not. By all accounts he was a reprehensible fellow.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

The movie's plot has just a very superficial resemblance to his actual life, going off his wikipedia article. The vibe I get from the article is that he certainly was a bit of a cunt.

The movie depicts him as a wide-eyed romantic that loses his way a bit because he doesn't want his family to experience the poverty and rejection he experienced as a kid. Of course he's redeemed at the end. The movie moves so fast through stuff that very little drama takes hold, anyway.

Valmy

I mean he was a human being and business man and not a saintly figure or anything and all that but I don't see anything particularly reprehensible about him.

Certainly not 'by all accounts'. As if he was universally despised or some bullshit like that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2018, 10:54:57 PM
I mean he was a human being and business man and not a saintly figure or anything and all that but I don't see anything particularly reprehensible about him.

Certainly not 'by all accounts'. As if he was universally despised or some bullshit like that.

He's famous for saying "A sucker is born every minute". How is someone who has that has their signature quote not universally despised?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

America tends to have a soft spot for the roguish businessman/entrepreneur.
The real Barnum was a fascinating character, a man of fantastic energy and imagination, ahead of his times for good or ill.  A "celebrity" in the modern sense, a man famous for being famous, a keen sense of PR, self-promotion, "all news is good news".  He had a little remembered (outside CT) closing act as mayor of Bridgeport, the legend is that he was quite effective.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 09, 2018, 11:12:36 PM
He's famous for saying "A sucker is born every minute". How is someone who has that has their signature quote not universally despised?

Except he never actually said that.

But even if he did...hardly a big deal. He created several cultural institutions and as far as I know didn't do anything unconventionally villainous.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Re-watched Justice League:  The New Frontier for the first time in years.  It remains, in my opinion, the best DC movie.  I really wish they'd simply turned it into a live action film for the Justice League movie and the DCEU movie efforts.  It would be a great base in my opinion.  Heck, you could have even still had Superman and Wonder Woman movies to lead into it.  You could have set them during World War II, which would have been sweet.  I mean, who makes better enemies than Nazis?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

dps

Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2018, 10:54:57 PM

'Cause A) he's right (did you not learn anything from the 2016 Presidential election) but B) no one thinks of themselves as  sucker.

Savonarola

Darkest Hour (2017)

It's now the time of year for gimme an Oscar prestige pictures.  This Churchill biopic covers his first month as prime minister and is built around three of his most famous speeches; his first address to the House of Commons (Blood, toil, sweat and tears); his first radio address as PM (Arm yourself and be ye men of valor); and his post Dunkirk address to the House of Commons ("We shall fight them on the beaches.")  The movie is well worth seeing for Gary Oldman's Churchill, that is an amazing impersonation.  The soundtrack is well done; though I have mixed feelings about using a string section to "Punch up" Churchill's speeches.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

Universally despised is saved for things like secretly deflating footballs, or taping the other team's signals from their sidelines.  You know, sneaky, underhanded cheating kind of stuff. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on January 10, 2018, 11:30:31 AM
Darkest Hour (2017)

It's now the time of year for gimme an Oscar prestige pictures.  This Churchill biopic covers his first month as prime minister and is built around three of his most famous speeches; his first address to the House of Commons (Blood, toil, sweat and tears); his first radio address as PM (Arm yourself and be ye men of valor); and his post Dunkirk address to the House of Commons ("We shall fight them on the beaches.")  The movie is well worth seeing for Gary Oldman's Churchill, that is an amazing impersonation.  The soundtrack is well done; though I have mixed feelings about using a string section to "Punch up" Churchill's speeches.

I saw that. I thought Oldman made a wonderful Churchill.

I was hardly at all tempted to see him as the character he played in Leon: The Professional  :D 'Who are we going to get off the beach at Dunkirk? EVERYONE!'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BzSTQCl_c

I understand there are serious inaccuracies in the plot, and certainly that scene with him riding the tube is a complete invention ...

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on January 10, 2018, 11:43:02 AM

I was hardly at all tempted to see him as the character he played in Leon: The Professional  :D 'Who are we going to get off the beach at Dunkirk? EVERYONE!'

I understand there are serious inaccuracies in the plot, and certainly that scene with him riding the tube is a complete invention ...

New girl starts the day the boss is made PM, the tube ride, typist gets to go to the map room for exposition and Chamberlain softening to Churchill at the end really stuck out as pure Hollywood.  I'm not familiar enough with the period to know what else was wrong.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Berkut

Finished up season 2 of The Crown. I really hope its success spawns more history as drama like this, and less like that silly spy crap about the Revolutionary War.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on January 10, 2018, 12:08:19 PM
Finished up season 2 of The Crown. I really hope its success spawns more history as drama like this, and less like that silly spy crap about the Revolutionary War.

Try the one about the Medici on Netflix - Can't remember the name now.  Also the Netflix series on Commodus was pretty good.  Lastly the Gunpowder Plot on HBO.

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on January 10, 2018, 12:00:11 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 10, 2018, 11:43:02 AM

New girl starts the day the boss is made PM, the tube ride, typist gets to go to the map room for exposition and Chamberlain softening to Churchill at the end really stuck out as pure Hollywood.  I'm not familiar enough with the period to know what else was wrong.

Weirdly, iirc the first one might be true, I vaguely recall something like that. As you say there could well be a good dose of hollywood in it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"