And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on January 18, 2018, 10:40:58 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 17, 2018, 11:39:40 AM
Seinfeld is on the telly. The episode where Elaine asks her boyfriend who has the same name as a murderer to change his name to OJ.

That's such a great show. Great fit with the cast and writers.

Indeed, back in the day I watched that religiously, it was on at 11.15 or 11.30pm right after the main serious news programme and made a fitting wind down for the day.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on January 19, 2018, 08:28:22 AM
Seinfeld is on the telly. The episode where Elaine asks her boyfriend who has the same name as a murderer to change his name to OJ.

Indeed, back in the day I watched that religiously, it was on at 11.15 or 11.30pm right after the main serious news programme and made a fitting wind down for the day.
Seinfeld is on at 11pm and 11:30pm every week night. I was watching most of the time or recording to watch later. And I also
used to watch to wind down for bed. It's been on for at least a few years and is still on.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on January 19, 2018, 03:10:52 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 19, 2018, 08:28:22 AM

Seinfeld is on at 11pm and 11:30pm every week night. I was watching most of the time or recording to watch later. And I also
used to watch to wind down for bed. It's been on for at least a few years and is still on.

Moderately ok mind think alike. :cheers:

KRonn

Hehe, yeah, it's a good light comedy to relax the mind before bedtime.  :)

celedhring

Finally got around to watch Dunkirk. Liked it quite a bit. It's pretty straightforward in terms of story, and the characters are pretty much non-entities (which is a bit of the point I guess, random people we never learn much about, but still), but visually is gorgeous and the tension is thick throughout. Even though I knew that they rescued pretty much everybody, I was on the edge of my seat all movie long.

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on January 19, 2018, 04:57:11 PM
Finally got around to watch Dunkirk. Liked it quite a bit. It's pretty straightforward in terms of story, and the characters are pretty much non-entities (which is a bit of the point I guess, random people we never learn much about, but still), but visually is gorgeous and the tension is thick throughout. Even though I knew that they rescued pretty much everybody, I was on the edge of my seat all movie long.

I feel they did a good job, great scenery and battle scenes especially the air battles. The scenes of Spitfires flying low over the ships and boats was great. I assume they used vintage aircraft for those scenes. But I do feel the story was a bit lacking partly in that they showed relatively few people and didn't play up the part of the call going out to the boats. They showed the small boats heading into Dunkirk but it seemed a bit anti-climactic.

Valmy

I heard that that Canadian who performed so heroically as dock master was featured in the film. That makes me want to see it despite me being bummed about them leaving out the part played by les soldats de la Grande Nation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

celedhring

Quote from: KRonn on January 19, 2018, 07:51:08 PM
Quote from: celedhring on January 19, 2018, 04:57:11 PM

I feel they did a good job, great scenery and battle scenes especially the air battles. The scenes of Spitfires flying low over the ships and boats was great. I assume they used vintage aircraft for those scenes. But I do feel the story was a bit lacking partly in that they showed relatively few people and didn't play up the part of the call going out to the boats. They showed the small boats heading into Dunkirk but it seemed a bit anti-climactic.

I like that they don't play up the more emotional beats, but sometimes it does feel dry. It's so damn well shot though.

Any reason why the RAF only seems to have 3 Spitfires for the entire channel though?  :P

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on January 19, 2018, 08:08:38 PM
Any reason why the RAF only seems to have 3 Spitfires for the entire channel though?  :P

IIRC the commander of Fighter Command made the conscious decision not to maintain standing patrols over Dunkirk in order to husband planes  and pilots for the upcoming invasion battle, and because the short range of British fighters limited loiter time.

Valmy

There was a desperate air attack on the Meuse bridgehead a few days into the Battle of France that decimated allied air strength. The British decided to hold most of their limited air resources back after that.

IIRC anyway.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2018, 08:24:00 PM
There was a desperate air attack on the Meuse bridgehead a few days into the Battle of France that decimated allied air strength. The British decided to hold most of their limited air resources back after that.

IIRC anyway.

Not the case:

As the BEF retreated, the RAF was tasked with protecting the evacuation. Over the nine days of Operation Dynamo, the RAF flew 171 reconnaissance, 651 bombing and 2,739 fighter sorties. Fighter Command claimed 262 enemy aircraft, losing 106 of their own,.

http://www.brentbaxterbooks.com/the-role-of-the-raf-in-operation-dynamo-the-miracle-of-dunkirk/

PDH

The reason there are only 3 Spitfires is easy - there were only 3 of the right look to fly for the movie.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

KRonn

I'm sure the Spitfires were real, at least in certain scenes. But I wonder about the ME109s and the battle scenes - how much was computer generated or green screened and how much was vintage planes kept restored and flying.

I think it's really cool when movies can use vintage planes, tanks,etc. The Commerative Air Force restores and flies many old planes, takes them to air shows. My town's small air port hosts their planes every few years. The CAF even gives rides on some planes, especially B-17 and maybe the B-24, and even a P-51 converted to 2 seats. It's awesome to see and hear these planes flying over my neighborhood on their take off and landing runs.

Admiral Yi

BTW, how did husband become a synonym for conserve?

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2018, 09:12:25 PM
BTW, how did husband become a synonym for conserve?

That is the original meaning yes? Animal husbandry and all that?