And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on March 09, 2016, 04:17:09 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 09, 2016, 04:07:08 PM
Religion should evolve together with our understanding of the world - else it withers and dies, like something we do not need any more.

Well I couldn't agree with you more on that point. Hence why I got my religion. But it also speaks to my annoyance with the emphasis on the superstitious parts of Christianity in those movies. See? It all comes back on topic!

Yeah, I think Unitarianism is pretty close to what I consider a good modern religion. I am not sure, by the way, where this discussion started - the post I originally quoted was the first one I read so I may have been out of context. :P

Edit: I just realised I didn't originally quote any post - so I guess I read maybe 2 or 3 posts before the one I made. :P

Admiral Yi

Caught a little bit of Billy Jack t'other night.  An hour and a half of pure hippy nonsense combined with 2 minutes of total badassery.  It's unwatchable.

garbon

Yes that film is terrible. i got to watch it as my mother had teen nostalgia and had not recalled how bad it was.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 09, 2016, 05:56:25 PM
Caught a little bit of Billy Jack t'other night.  An hour and a half of pure hippy nonsense combined with 2 minutes of total badassery.  It's unwatchable.

Bong Soo Han & Hapkido FTW.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on March 09, 2016, 04:00:06 PM
Christianity won because it explained the world better and offered a connection to divinity that was more in tune with the times. It has since faltered in that task. Time to replace it with something more modern. Like Thelema.  ;)
Christianity spread to the poor because it spoke to them.  It did not differentiate between a slave, a Jew or a Roman.  At a time when there was a, sort of, stratified system of classes, with slaves at the bottom, telling people they'll all be "free" and "equal" in Christ brought a message of hope.
As it spread through the populace, the government eventually had to embrace it to gain the population's support.
And it went downhill from there.  Religion and politics shouldn't mix.
From this moment on, Christianity waged a war on non Christians, and later on any teachings that diverted from the orthodoxy of Rome.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on March 09, 2016, 11:37:11 PM
From this moment on, Christianity waged a war on non Christians, and later on any teachings that diverted from the orthodoxy of Rome.

Well to be fair they started attacking each other over dogma well before they went after the non-Christians. That was the key to Julian's whole strategy for the resurgence of traditional religions.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on March 09, 2016, 04:07:08 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 09, 2016, 04:01:54 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 09, 2016, 04:00:06 PM
Christianity won because it explained the world better. It has since faltered in that task. Time to replace it with something more modern. Like Thelema.  ;)

Instead of 'Gods did it' they went with 'God did it' and everybody was like: wow it all is so clear now.

Nah, it's not just that.

Early paganism was about the Earth. She was the life giver and the source of the mystery of life. The woman gave birth - and nobody knew why. She was divine!

Then people realised that it was the male that impregnated the female. Without it, she was barren. Hence the religion moved towards the solar, because Earth revolved around Sun, and her cycles depended on his rays - Osiris, Sol Invictus, Mithra, and ultimately Christ - all male solar deities that die and are reborn, like sun, in its is daily and annual cycle.

We now know that neither is true. Stars are countless and they are suns in their own right, there is nothing uniquely special about our own sun. Nor does the Sun actually die or is reborn - it is eternal and death and resurrection is just an illusion. So it doesn't make sense to worship only one god. We all are gods. Hence the outburst of new religions that one way or another acknowledge that - even in such a perverted and stunted form as Mormonism or Scientology do.

Religion should evolve together with our understanding of the world - else it withers and dies, like something we do not need any more.

You know what should also evolve?  The study of comparative religions.  It's 2016 not 1906.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Bill Hickok was the one holding the dead man's hand when he got shot, wasn't he?

Wonder why Deadwood doesn't dwell on that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 09, 2016, 12:04:59 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 09, 2016, 09:41:07 AM
I really dislike those show's reliance on the supernatural bullshit. I mean Christianity did not win in the West because of its magical powers.

Disagree.  From Constantine's victory at the Milvian Bridge, to the miracles of saints and the worship of relics, the history of the Church was very much about "magical powers".

Sure, it adapted the mysticism of the existing mystery cults, but Valmy's point still holds - that is not why it became the dominant religion. 

Savonarola

I saw the preview for "London has Fallen" and started imagining Morgan Freeman narrating:

And so, the penguins have laid waste and wanton destruction to the city of London.  Why do the penguins do this?  Nobody knows, but its up to me, Morgan Freeman, to save civilization from the menace of the penguins.

Unfortunately it seems that it is terrorist, rather than penguins, that are the villains in the film.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Cinderella (2015)

Simply a wonderful bit of storytelling; something that Walt would be proud of.   :)

Lily James's waist is so thin in the ball dress (with the aid of a corset) that the film would almost certainly merit an A+ from Ide.   ;)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

The Martian- Not what I expected. Quite a light fun film. Given the subject matter I expected something much grittier and darker.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on March 10, 2016, 12:12:01 AM
You know what should also evolve?  The study of comparative religions.  It's 2016 not 1906.

Yeah pretty confident the Egyptians understood impregnation long before the rise of the solar cults.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 10, 2016, 02:43:39 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on March 10, 2016, 12:12:01 AM

Yeah pretty confident the Egyptians understood impregnation long before the rise of the solar cults.

Not a lot of rain in Egypt.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josephus

Quote from: Tyr on March 10, 2016, 02:22:56 PM
The Martian- Not what I expected. Quite a light fun film. Given the subject matter I expected something much grittier and darker.

Didn't it win best comedy or somehting at some awards show?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011