News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Just watched Jersey Boys, the Franky Valli story.  Were OK, nothing special.

A departure from Clint's usual work to say the least.

Martinus

So, feeling like another Wes Anderson comedy today. What should I watch (already seen Grand Budapest, Life Aquatic and Royal Tannenbaums).

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Martinus

celedhring

King Arthur (the one with Clive Owen). So, they take the Arthurian legends and take out the part that makes them fun - all the magic and mystical stuff. And that's supposed to be a good idea for a movie?

Anyway, it's boring and drawn-out.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

Quote from: viper37 on April 05, 2015, 12:08:57 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 04, 2015, 10:50:24 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 04, 2015, 02:20:38 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2015, 12:43:04 PM
I went to see it in the cinema. It's the only time I've seen a film get a standing ovation (possibly just for the credits sequence which is outstanding).

I was happy when it ended, too.

Harumph.

I've been watching Community at the instigation of my girlfriend.  My disdain for the Russo Bros. has largely faded, although I still think Winter Soldier is the weakest Marvel movie of all of them and it's weak that they're going to be taking over the Avengers movies instead of, I dunno, James fucking Gunn.
Rotten Tomatoes gives the movie 89% average positive review.  I personally quite liked the movie.
What is it you thought was wrong?

I didn't like the way they shot--or, really, the way they cut--the action, mostly, but also the movie didn't focus enough on the Winter Soldier's deal, and the allegory is fundamentally broken (we shouldn't have a surveillance state or be paranoid, because there is literally a hundred thousand-strong secret society of Nazis who will infiltrate it? isn't that just an argument for more paranoia and a better surveillance state?).

Oh, and I forgot to mention re: Community, I was only familiar with Alison Brie via The LEGO Movie, where she's wonderfully hilarious.  I had no idea she was, also, one of the most beautiful women on Earth.  Golly. :wub:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on April 05, 2015, 01:13:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 05, 2015, 12:08:57 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on April 04, 2015, 10:50:24 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 04, 2015, 02:20:38 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 04, 2015, 12:43:04 PM
I went to see it in the cinema. It's the only time I've seen a film get a standing ovation (possibly just for the credits sequence which is outstanding).

I was happy when it ended, too.

Harumph.

I've been watching Community at the instigation of my girlfriend.  My disdain for the Russo Bros. has largely faded, although I still think Winter Soldier is the weakest Marvel movie of all of them and it's weak that they're going to be taking over the Avengers movies instead of, I dunno, James fucking Gunn.
Rotten Tomatoes gives the movie 89% average positive review.  I personally quite liked the movie.
What is it you thought was wrong?

I didn't like the way they shot--or, really, the way they cut--the action, mostly, but also the movie didn't focus enough on the Winter Soldier's deal, and the allegory is fundamentally broken (we shouldn't have a surveillance state or be paranoid, because there is literally a hundred thousand-strong secret society of Nazis who will infiltrate it? isn't that just an argument for more paranoia and a better surveillance state?).

Oh, and I forgot to mention re: Community, I was only familiar with Alison Brie via The LEGO Movie, where she's wonderfully hilarious.  I had no idea she was, also, one of the most beautiful women on Earth.  Golly. :wub:

If you haven't see this episode yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpCc_86yf6s

Ideologue

I'll be back in a while.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

So, Divergent. Is it watchable?

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on April 05, 2015, 03:01:06 PM
So, Divergent. Is it watchable?

I liked it. It's about a dystopian society and people opposing it. It did well enough to warrant a sequel called Insurgent which came out recently.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: KRonn on April 05, 2015, 03:03:30 PMIt's about a dystopian society and people opposing it.

This and post-apocalyptica sure make up a large portion of new stuff these days. Maybe people really like zombies, but I think it taps into something.

The rest of course are all cop shows.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

Yeah, how come the most popular YA films are all about dystopian future societies? There must be some zeitgeist-related explanation for this.  :hmm:

EDIT: I suppose they appeal to their feeling of rebelliousness? "Oh, this world is so oppressive and I am special and I'm going to change it for the better".