News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

QuoteMisguided people may watch this movie instead of doing something about the carnage in Iraq

:lol:

Sheilbh

Incidentally the Sheilbh household has split again. Zulu v The Eagle has Landed.
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Syt on December 27, 2014, 10:44:44 AM
For some reason I thought they were goblins in the book.

iirc it was Humans, Dwarves, Elves, Goblins and Orcs.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

I thought it was humans, dwarves, elves, goblins and wargs. But it's been a while since I read the book.

And Wikipedia, lotr wikia and others are sometimes saying goblins, sometimes orcs. I'm going to assume a mixed contingent of goblins/orcs, plus wargs. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Tbf I got confused a lot between orcs and goblins back when I first read the whole saga. They are two words to represent the same thing - in the books at the very least.

Tonitrus

I always thought they were essentially two words for the same thing in ME.  And then you had the Uruk-hai, which were Sauraman's orc/elf mutation.

Berkut

Wasn't it that "goblin" was the generic term, and orc was more specific? IE, all orcs are goblins, but not all goblins were orcs?

At least in the Tolkien world? I forget...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

"Goblin" and "Orc" are words in different ME languages for the same creature IIRC.

Tonitrus

I read something that suggested it was more a shift by Tolkien himself from Hobbit to LotR (goblin to orc) to better fit his linguistic intentions and move away from using fairy-tale trope terminology.

Eddie Teach

The Master. Slow and unengaging.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on December 27, 2014, 04:13:46 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on December 26, 2014, 11:14:47 PM
This...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galavant

...could be good, or really bad.  Biggest potential downfall is leaning pretty heavily on big name guest stars.

So many TV shows stealing Fables' shtick and still no one will adapt Fables...

I believe there were attempts but they couldnt reach a deal.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 27, 2014, 02:20:24 PM
I always thought they were essentially two words for the same thing in ME.  And then you had the Uruk-hai, which were Sauraman's orc/elf mutation.

I believe plain vanilla orcs were also the result of Sauron fucking with elves.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 27, 2014, 04:37:47 PM

I thought that went all the way back to Morgoth.  :nerd:

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 27, 2014, 04:37:47 PM

It was Morgoth who did that  :nerd:

EDIT: Tonitrus'd

Admiral Yi