News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

You know, the undeniable fact that John Carter and Tron: Legacy are two of the best movies of the 21st century makes me wonder if Prince of Persia doesn't actually suck. :hmm:

Then again, The Lone Ranger.

Also Pirates of the Caribbean, at least the first one and the parts of the others that I've seen (if memory serves, they're more than a little dull--but what do the bad Disney Let's-Do-Pulp! movies have in common? only the same director).
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Just watched a long-ass documentary about the West Memphis Three.

They got out.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on December 02, 2013, 01:46:40 AM
That got decent review over here. The consensus was American critics had gone a bit over the top.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 02, 2013, 01:56:58 AM
That got decent review over here. The consensus was American critics had gone a bit over the top.

They did not.  It features the worst protagonist an action movie has ever seen.

It's also an hour too long and boring.

It does have two great train sequences, which I would include in my ideal 80 minute cut, but even that would probably only get like a B.
Kinemalogue

Sophie Scholl

Garbon:  (And anyone else interested)  I've actually found Dracula has grown on me.  It's certainly an interesting spin the the mythos.  If you can get ahold of it via ondemand or the internet, I suggest giving a shot if you have some free time.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Tonitrus

Walking Dead...

[spoiler]I'm a bit surprised, as I thought they would have dragged the Governor out a little longer, but instead they *almost* wound his plot back together with the graphic novel, with the tank and all...except for his new band of henchmen and decapitating Hershel instead of Tyreese.  The only real cliffhanger left is where all the scattered characters will end up (I am hoping they keep/don't kill the Governor's ex-fiance's kid sister, she is a cutie. :wub: )

If they do still try to, at least roughly, follow the graphic novels, the next step would be for them to drift around a bit towards the Alexandria safe-zone.  Though I wonder if that plot-device might push the show's budget out of reach.  I imagine they're doing pretty well sticking to rural Georgia.
[/spoiler]

katmai

Well introducing three characters in 2nd half of season that are leading towards heading north in GN.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Minsky Moment

You know, the undeniable fact that John Carter and Tron: Legacy are two of the best movies of the 21st century makes me wonder if Prince of Persia doesn't actually suck. :hmm:

Is there any point responding to this?
katmai, you're in this thread, can't you do anything?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

Joan Robinson's favorite movie is probably Howard's End.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on December 02, 2013, 05:14:49 AM
Garbon:  (And anyone else interested)  I've actually found Dracula has grown on me.  It's certainly an interesting spin the the mythos.  If you can get ahold of it via ondemand or the internet, I suggest giving a shot if you have some free time.

All the eps are still on hulu so I could give it another go. When would you say was your tipping point? Like is ep 2 still a bit painful? :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on December 02, 2013, 06:23:50 PM

Is there any point responding to this?
katmai, you're in this thread, can't you do anything?

I just chalked it up to Ide being well...Ide.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Neil

John Carter was good.  Anyone who says differently is wrong.  Not necessarily evil, but mistaken.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Listen to Neil. John Carter suffers from badly title movie syndrome.

Princess of Mars was a much better idea.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.