News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kleves

Watched Dexter Season 5, Boardwalk Empire (they only have six episodes on demand, but that can't be the whole season, can it?), and Futurama Season 5 over spring break. All enjoyable.

Recently I saw the first episode of the Borgias. I was: disappointed. The plot was goofy, the sense of place was not very well established, and the characters were wildly inconsistent (Rodrigo goes from power-hungry sleazeball, to sincere reform pope, and back again seemingly at random). It is too bad; I had been looking forward to this.

I also saw When Trumpets Fade, which also sucked. It was pretty much a Vietnam fantasy set during WWII. For all of its angst (it was set in the Hurtgen Forest) it had none of the emotion of Saving Private Ryan (which came out the same year).
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 25, 2011, 06:43:57 PM
LA Confidential.  Still one of the best cop flicks in decades.

Indeed.

You do have some few redeeming qualities...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Part 2.

It was excellent.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josquius

I watched the first episode of Magnificent Century. Basically a Turkish version of The Tudors. But watchable.
Its here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XCwGCIKD0Q

Quote from: Kleves on March 29, 2011, 01:06:54 PM
Watched Dexter Season 5, Boardwalk Empire (they only have six episodes on demand, but that can't be the whole season, can it?),

No, I'm up to...8 or so right now.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

The Social Network. No surprise to find out that Facebook is the result of rampant douchebaggery.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

I think there were 12 or 13 Boardwalks.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Slargos

London Boulevard

Felt like the story got lost somewhere during editing, but there's certainly a great piece in there somewhere.

Monahan follows the old tried and true, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" in his screenplays, and while it does the job I am still left feeling like I was jewed out of a great movie. Still, worth watching. Great cast, even considering the rampant typecasting. Visuals and acting passable-to-good.

Eddie Teach

The Tourist. Exactly the mindless but fun generic action/romance one expects.

CountDeMoney

Does anybody watch Perfect Couples?  I find it done rather well, without a whole lot of OTT humor.  Particularly last week, with the wedding party in Canada.

"They even left their door unlocked.  Canadians are so trusting.  They're like a nation of puppies."

katmai

Apparently you are the only one, as it's being pulled.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

It's between Community and The Office, so I watch it. Not heartbroken to see it go however.

Caliga

Saw Paul over the weekend.  It was pretty good.

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost were basically doing a Tim impression in this movie. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Larch

Quote from: Slargos on March 26, 2011, 04:07:51 PM
Carriers

Doomsday-virus scenario.

Good shit. Sure, it doesn't provide a lot of surprises and we've certainly seen the "OMG we must gets to the docs they have the cure OMG they're all dead all hope is lost!" before, but I liked the grittier-than-usual take on inter-personal relations during the apocalypse.

Think The Road with more colour.  :hmm:

Sadly, as per ush, movies that don't beat you over the head with their message don't typically do very well financially speaking.

[Namedropping]I once had a couple of beers with one of the directors of that film.[/Namedropping]  ^_^

katmai

It's on my netflix list, was even before you had mentioned know the filmmakers.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

Uhh, Larch, I don't see a name in your post anywhere.  :lol: