Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 02:46:38 PMThere you go Squeeze.  The left playing the bad economy card.
Eh?

Quote from: Sheilbh on Today at 02:37:58 PM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 02:36:28 PMThough I'd probably lean against an outright ban and rather just have extremely strict licensing such that tobacco isn't available from every other shop in town but maybe half a dozen places per region.
Though given the expense, logistics and lack of political pazaz I get that wouldn't really be doable in practice.
Tobacco is pretty strictly licensed already.

And you say that but in the last 10 years alone we've got the plain packaging, not allowed to display etc.
It may have strengthened but it's nowhere near strong enough. It just shouldn't be available from every supermarket and paper shop. At the very least we should be looking at alcohol in Sweden levels of control - only without the market to support such a setup.
Vapes in particular piss me off. Clearly marketed at and used by kids.

QuoteAlso come out that the advance for her book was £1,500. For context the advance for Sturgeon's memoir was reported to be about £300k and Johnson's £500k. 
Better context I think is that's got to be a good months work at least to write such a book?
£1500 won't even cover her expenses. She wrote the book for free.
Did you miss a 0 or two? :p
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Yeah - I tend to be more on the pot should also be available in every supermarket and corner shops (but also plain packaging, no advertising, not on display, need ID/18+) side of things :lol:

Vapes I'm mixed on - I think the ones with nicotine play a really important role on helping people quit (speaking form exeperience - also many friends who've done the same). But they're regulated as tobacco products.

I find the nicotine free vapes that lots of kids use a bit weird - partly because I don't understand why :lol: But also littering etc.

Edit: Although it is mad as someone who remembers Tory attacks on New Labour's "nanny state" to see them banning sugar in soft drinks, regulating what types of deals shops can do, banning the high fat, salt or sugar advertising, banning smoking, trying to bring in mandatory calorie counts for restaurants etc. I broadly sympathised with their criticism of those types of laws too. But I suppose they're doing "something" and they're free so pretty appealing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on Today at 02:36:28 PM
Quote from: Jacob on Today at 02:27:10 PM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 02:19:11 PMI would fall into the overlap point of that Venn.

If you really want to grow tobacco in your garden to smoke then you have my respect.

So ban commercial tobacco product, but allow commercial marijuana products?

Or allow homegrown tobacco and weed, but not commercial products?

I lean mostly towards 2.
Though there are medicinal uses for cannabis that there aren't for tobacco which suggests there actually is a better case there.

HIstorically tobacco/nicotine was seen as having numerous medicinal uses.  We now realize that is completely wrong.

I suspect that our current notions about "medicinal marijuana" will be seen in the same way in the future.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on Today at 02:57:48 PM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 02:36:28 PM
Quote from: Jacob on Today at 02:27:10 PM
Quote from: Josquius on Today at 02:19:11 PMI would fall into the overlap point of that Venn.

If you really want to grow tobacco in your garden to smoke then you have my respect.

So ban commercial tobacco product, but allow commercial marijuana products?

Or allow homegrown tobacco and weed, but not commercial products?

I lean mostly towards 2.
Though there are medicinal uses for cannabis that there aren't for tobacco which suggests there actually is a better case there.

HIstorically tobacco/nicotine was seen as having numerous medicinal uses.  We now realize that is completely wrong.

I suspect that our current notions about "medicinal marijuana" will be seen in the same way in the future.

I'm no doctor so I really can't comment.

But I will note the current view on weed is coming DESPITE intense opposition from conservatives and with a much better understanding of biology than we had back when we had the same views on tobacco - which were pushed by big money interests.
Science should be left to do its thing but logically it certainly seems there's a better chance there's utility in weed and the analogue doesn't really hold.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on Today at 02:50:29 PMEh?

We were talking earlier about Biden getting blamed for inflation and I said the left does the same thing.

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on Today at 03:03:19 PMI'm no doctor so I really can't comment.

But I will note the current view on weed is coming DESPITE intense opposition from conservatives and with a much better understanding of biology than we had back when we had the same views on tobacco - which were pushed by big money interests.
Science should be left to do its thing but logically it certainly seems there's a better chance there's utility in weed and the analogue doesn't really hold.

I swear man - so many of your views come right out of 30-40 years ago and have no bearing on modern reality.

Cannabis is being pushed by big money interests.  Cannabis is a multi-billion dollar legal industry.  It's not just a bunch of hippies growing cannabis in their back yard.

On the other hand tobacco in the 17th-19th century was just a plant you could grow.  There was no "big tobacco" like there was by the 20th century.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

A lot of the lobbying for Marijuana os actually from big tobacco. Phillip Morris invested a lot in growing pot
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Gups

Banning tobacco or tax it to the point of an effective ban simply hands money to criminals just as the war on drugs does and prohibition did.