News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Looks like the House didn't pass a bill supporting the Libyan adventure.  Almost all republicans were against it, Democrats were split with a slight majority favoring it.  I wonder if he GOP would have supported it if the President was one of theirs.  I remember them going on about a "Muscular Presidency" not so long ago.  Oh well, I think they were right to do it even if they did it for the wrong reasons.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2011, 12:15:42 PM
Looks like the House didn't pass a bill supporting the Libyan adventure.  Almost all republicans were against it, Democrats were split with a slight majority favoring it.  I wonder if he GOP would have supported it if the President was one of theirs.  I remember them going on about a "Muscular Presidency" not so long ago.  Oh well, I think they were right to do it even if they did it for the wrong reasons.

Pretty much agree.  There is some hypocrisy on the GOP side.  I opposed the Libyan thing from the beginning, but I'm a little dubious on the constitutionality of the WPA so I wouldn't have used that as my argument.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Caliga

I can't wait for Money to show up and tell spiess he opposed the Libyan intervention because he hates TEH BLACKS. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on June 24, 2011, 12:15:42 PM

As opposed to the adventure as I am, this is stupid. The most humane and sensible thing to do at this point is actually commit to getting rid of Qaddafi and ending this. I can't imagine we would let him win the civil war and stay in power at this point.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on June 24, 2011, 12:44:42 PM
So what does this mean?

Probably nothing. The lawyers here would know a lot better than me, but I don't think there is a way to bring a case on this. I think the check on presidential power in this case is impeachment, which obviously won't happen.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Habbaku

Quote from: alfred russel on June 24, 2011, 12:48:11 PM
As opposed to the adventure as I am, this is stupid. The most humane and sensible thing to do at this point is actually commit to getting rid of Qaddafi and ending this. I can't imagine we would let him win the civil war and stay in power at this point.

It isn't at all obvious that the most humane and sensible thing to do is to topple Gaddafi.  You have no idea if the regime that will pop up after him will be worse or not.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on June 24, 2011, 01:01:41 PM

It isn't at all obvious that the most humane and sensible thing to do is to topple Gaddafi.  You have no idea if the regime that will pop up after him will be worse or not.

It isn't obvious, but it is a pretty decent play.

Getting rid of dictators doesn't always turn out better, but dictators are usually bad enough that it is worth taking the chance.

And since the cost here is pretty low (we are talking about supporting others fighting, not fighting ourselves) it seems worth the shot, IMO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

I agree.  However, we know Gadhafi is a cruel dictator, and we don't know for sure that's what he will be replaced with.

I never would have gotten involved in that mess in the first place, but since we're in, we might as well deep-six the regime that we know is hostile to the ROTW and its own people, since there's a chance it might be followed by a friendly one.

alfred russel

Quote from: Habbaku on June 24, 2011, 01:01:41 PM

I can't imagine we would let a guy with a terrorist history survive after we overtly support a war to overthrow him. So if it is predetermined that he has to go, lets do what it takes to end the war, whether or not the next regime is better or worse. At least that way this conflict will be over.

Habbaku

Quote from: Caliga on June 24, 2011, 01:05:18 PM
I agree.  However, we know Gadhafi is a cruel dictator, and we don't know for sure that's what he will be replaced with.

I never would have gotten involved in that mess in the first place, but since we're in, we might as well deep-six the regime that we know is hostile to the ROTW and its own people, since there's a chance it might be followed by a friendly one.

And if it isn't followed by a friendly one?  Do we just wash our hands of the matter if it turns out to be worse than Gaddafi?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

Yes. :sleep: Like I said, the intervention was a mistake in the first place.

Habbaku

That's the problem, though.  If it does turn out to be even worse than Gaddafi, I think we're setting ourselves up to be obligated to make sure that they're deep-sixed, too.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Caliga

I know... therein lies the quandry and why I would never have gotten involved.  Then again, I'm not a deluded self-important egomaniac that thinks I can single-handedly remold the world... which is why I'd never be POTUS. :cool:

alfred russel

As Berkut said, "Getting rid of dictators doesn't always turn out better, but dictators are usually bad enough that it is worth taking the chance." So there will at least be some people who want to get involved again, so we will have another war and messy situation. Finally, well down the road, Libya will be a mess and we will be able to say, "we tried, Libya is just too poor with too much of a tradition of fighting, we can't make anything work there."