News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

I wake up and there was a B-2 strike and Marine harriers in action. The war boner returns.  :)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 20, 2011, 07:25:06 AM
I wake up and there was a B-2 strike and Marine harriers in action. The war boner returns.  :)

Maybe you just have to pee.

KRonn

Quote from: Martinus on March 20, 2011, 06:50:00 AM
QuoteAgreed. What are the UN's plans if the no-fly zone doesn't work? Or if Ghadaffi remains in power, whether he stops attacking or not? And if Ghadaffi leaves, and/or the the Rebels take over, who are they? Are they fighting for democracy or their version of what ever authoritarian rule they have in mind?

Well I would assume NATO forces have a battle plan even if they have not broadcasted it to your and Gaddafi's benefit.

As for the rebel's goals pretty much all analytical media (such as the Economist) are plastered with reports on the political situation there but I guess we will continue following the Kronn's Principle - if information has not been posted on Languish it does not exist.
Don't be so smarmy. I don't understand why you feel this will be so doable without a long, protracted committment and all that goes with that. What kind of government, etc. That's what I'm looking at, and hence my questions. And I'm sure that you will certainly begin to bash the US and others for being involved, at some point. It's easy to get in, not so easy to play the middle and end game. Other nations may very well need to put troops in to safe guard civivilansl, that safe guarding which is UN goal.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on March 20, 2011, 06:50:00 AM
QuoteAgreed. What are the UN's plans if the no-fly zone doesn't work? Or if Ghadaffi remains in power, whether he stops attacking or not? And if Ghadaffi leaves, and/or the the Rebels take over, who are they? Are they fighting for democracy or their version of what ever authoritarian rule they have in mind?
Well I would assume NATO forces have a battle plan even if they have not broadcasted it to your and Gaddafi's benefit.

As for the rebel's goals pretty much all analytical media (such as the Economist) are plastered with reports on the political situation there but I guess we will continue following the Kronn's Principle - if information has not been posted on Languish it does not exist.
But we're not talking about a battle plan here.  We're talking about political considerations and victory conditions, which are only useful if they are broadcasted to the world at large.  If the West is going to be called upon for a long-term occupation of Libya, they'll have to sell that.  Right now, it's smooth sailing, but what are they going to do when the opposition turns on each other?  Those are the sorts of things that people want to know.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

I suppose the Arkestras of the world would always prefer us to sit on our hands seeing as how they critique all of the West's major operations in the last few decades.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Mr.Penguin

The result of the first French air strikes south of Benghazi...

Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

sbr

Ed Anger

Quote#
1536: The Arab League's secretary general, Amr Moussa, has announced an emergency meeting of the grouping, saying that the current situation isn't what Arabs had envisaged. "What is happening in Libya differs from the aim of imposing a no-fly zone, and what we want is the protection of civilians and not the bombardment of more civilians," he said.

Arabs.  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Tamas

:rolleyes: Jeebus, arab politicans make European politicans look like bastions of moral integrity and paladins of truth and goodness.

Razgovory

I wonder what kind of tank that is in the first picture.  Doesn't look Soviet.  Looks kind of like one of those Vicker exports from the '60's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on March 20, 2011, 02:07:29 PM
I wonder what kind of tank that is in the first picture.  Doesn't look Soviet.  Looks kind of like one of those Vicker exports from the '60's.
Wop SPA.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Mr.Penguin

Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers