News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Legbiter

Quote from: Kleves on March 19, 2011, 05:19:19 PM
So now we're bombing them... to enforce a no-fly zone? Seems that we're more or less committed to removing Q/K/Gadhafi by default now.

Yeah, no point in keeping him around, hoping he won't start torching oil installations as a last defiant gesture. Take him out much like the Taliban were the first time with the Benghazis acting as the Northern Alliance. If he stays in power, he'll be an implacable enemy of the West.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 19, 2011, 05:38:24 PM
More like a million a pop. A few were brit ones. They had the good sense to buy tomahawks years ago.

The newer ones are cheaper.

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/fact_display.asp?cid=2200&tid=1300&ct=2
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Viking

Quote from: Neil on March 19, 2011, 12:31:48 PM
This is very disappointing.  On the one hand, it's good that Europe is finally putting it's money where it's mouth is in terms of getting snookered by alleged 'liberal' oppositions.  On the other hand, the Libyan opposition is even worse than Qaddafi, so I'm annoyed that they're helping the wrong side.

This seems like one of those claims that require evidence.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on March 19, 2011, 09:05:41 PM
Quote from: Neil on March 19, 2011, 12:31:48 PM
This is very disappointing.  On the one hand, it's good that Europe is finally putting it's money where it's mouth is in terms of getting snookered by alleged 'liberal' oppositions.  On the other hand, the Libyan opposition is even worse than Qaddafi, so I'm annoyed that they're helping the wrong side.

This seems like one of those claims that require evidence.

Dude, it's Neil.  He has such a complex about being Canadian he'll say the sun will rise in the west tomorrow if it gives him the validation he craves.

Legbiter

Quote from: jamesww on March 19, 2011, 08:26:55 PMal-Arabiya are claiming NATO planes downed by libyians.  :hmm:

Meh, the Serbians on average shot down half a squadron a day for the entire Kosovo campaign back in the day.  ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

citizen k

is the sa-5 a real danger to modern NATO aircraft?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: citizen k on March 19, 2011, 09:36:27 PMis the sa-5 a real danger to modern NATO aircraft?

Ducks are a real danger to modern NATO aircraft.  Anything's possible with bad luck.

KRonn

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 19, 2011, 05:58:57 PM
Quote from: Kleves on March 19, 2011, 05:19:19 PM
So now we're bombing them... to enforce a no-fly zone? Seems that we're more or less committed to removing Q/K/Gadhafi by default now.
There's nothing about a no-fly zone that's just what was talked about prior to the resolution.  The UN authorised all necessary measures short of occupation to stop attacks on the civilian population.  That's something else that concerns me, that we've gone from a no-fly zone to a full scale intervention with barely any time for public debate or consensus building on the subject

Of course knocking out air defence is necessary in a no-fly zone.
Agreed. What are the UN's plans if the no-fly zone doesn't work? Or if Ghadaffi remains in power, whether he stops attacking or not? And if Ghadaffi leaves, and/or the the Rebels take over, who are they? Are they fighting for democracy or their version of what ever authoritarian rule they have in mind?

It's a worthy goal to remove Ghadaffi, but we have to be wary of a power vacuum with different factions fighting for control. We, the West, may get sucked into this a  lot more heavily if we start stomething we don't know how to finish. Break it and we may own it.

Tough choices though. Sit back, do nothing, and wind up allowing a bloodbath to ensue as Ghadaffi's forces and goon squads take revenge upon the populace.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 19, 2011, 09:38:25 PM
Ducks are a real danger to modern NATO aircraft.  Anything's possible with bad luck.

Then the real threats to the NATO planes should be mirrors, stepladders, and black cats, right?
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 19, 2011, 10:06:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 19, 2011, 09:38:25 PM

Then the real threats to the NATO planes should be mirrors, stepladders, and black cats, right?

There's a reason we didn't invite the Poles.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Watching BBC world and there are reports that Qadaffi is razing Misurata to the ground with heavy shelling, and blaming it on the west.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

QuoteAgreed. What are the UN's plans if the no-fly zone doesn't work? Or if Ghadaffi remains in power, whether he stops attacking or not? And if Ghadaffi leaves, and/or the the Rebels take over, who are they? Are they fighting for democracy or their version of what ever authoritarian rule they have in mind?

Well I would assume NATO forces have a battle plan even if they have not broadcasted it to your and Gaddafi's benefit.

As for the rebel's goals pretty much all analytical media (such as the Economist) are plastered with reports on the political situation there but I guess we will continue following the Kronn's Principle - if information has not been posted on Languish it does not exist.

Warspite

Quote from: Martinus on March 20, 2011, 06:50:00 AM
QuoteAgreed. What are the UN's plans if the no-fly zone doesn't work? Or if Ghadaffi remains in power, whether he stops attacking or not? And if Ghadaffi leaves, and/or the the Rebels take over, who are they? Are they fighting for democracy or their version of what ever authoritarian rule they have in mind?

Well I would assume NATO forces have a battle plan even if they have not broadcasted it to your and Gaddafi's benefit.

As for the rebel's goals pretty much all analytical media (such as the Economist) are plastered with reports on the political situation there but I guess we will continue following the Kronn's Principle - if information has not been posted on Languish it does not exist.

Maybe the West will surprise us all but I come down on Kronn's side right now. This operation has all the hallmarks of the light-footprint, 'hoof it and hope' approach to intervention that is backed up by little in the way of political planning; even Kosovo, usually hailed as the great success of intervention, has nearly come a cropper on several occasions (and twelve years' on, no one still knows what to do with the northern Kosovo Serbs) for precisely this conspiracy of optimism. Do Something! and work out the problems later. This worked really well in: Somalia, ex-Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, Iraq, Congo ...

I very much doubt if any Western media outlet, even the Economist, actually has a real idea of what the rebel situation is in Libya. Foreign journalists parachuted in as a crisis begins do not suddenly become aware of decades-old currents of social division and interaction over the course of a month.

So yes, the Kronn principle of scepticism has been borne out a lot more in recent history than the Martinus position of 'The Economist leader said it should all be ok'.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA