News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Arabs make me want to join Grallon's nuke the living fuck out the camel jackeys side.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: citizen k on March 16, 2011, 08:36:03 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 16, 2011, 07:37:01 PM
camel jackey

Sounds disgusting.

Not as bad as camel jerky woudl be.  But the idea of Mb jerking a camel is probably worse in the grand scheme of things.
PDH!

Zoupa

What's all this tribal talk? Whoever wins, no "tribe" is getting butchered afterwards. The fighting is not going down tribal lines.

Tamas

Quote from: Zoupa on March 17, 2011, 02:21:10 AM
What's all this tribal talk? Whoever wins, no "tribe" is getting butchered afterwards. The fighting is not going down tribal lines.

:yeahright:

I forgot. It is forces of evil vs. forces of DEMOCRACY!

Queequeg

Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2011, 02:52:48 AM

Yes.  There are many shades of grey in a conflict between a mad dictator and his legion of mercenaries against 6 million people who have seen their nation's great wealth wasted on palaces and mercenaries.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Tamas

Quote from: Queequeg on March 17, 2011, 03:29:13 AM
Quote from: Tamas on March 17, 2011, 02:52:48 AM

Yes.  There are many shades of grey in a conflict between a mad dictator and his legion of mercenaries against 6 million people who have seen their nation's great wealth wasted on palaces and mercenaries.

To state this is not a tribal-based conflict, goes against everything I have read about this conflict and Libya in general. It is supposedly a tribal society, with tribal identity being more important than the national one. Even the army units are organized among tribal lines, and this alone is a pretty good hint that lines must be mostly drawn along tribal loyalties.

CountDeMoney

Too funny.  Yes to a no-fly zone, no to American or NATO involvement.

What are they going to do? Bus in some Costa Rican air crews?  Who the fuck do you think has all the planes?

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 16, 2011, 08:38:22 PM
Quote from: citizen k on March 16, 2011, 08:36:03 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 16, 2011, 07:37:01 PM
camel jackey

Sounds disgusting.

Not as bad as camel jerky woudl be.  But the idea of Mb jerking a camel is probably worse in the grand scheme of things.

Mr. Hands, the empire strikes back
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Warspite

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 17, 2011, 06:37:20 AM

What are they going to do? Bus in some Costa Rican air crews?  Who the fuck do you think has all the planes?

I hear Malta has a pretty strong air force these days.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Warspite on March 17, 2011, 07:02:04 AM

Maybe the USS Wasp can make another run.

derspiess

I'm trying my best to support the Obama administration on this and I think non-intervention is the way to go, but FFS shit or get off the pot.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/42124342

QuoteThe United States, previously cool on the idea of a foreign military intervention, said the U.N. Security Council should consider tougher action than a no-fly zone over Libya.

"We are discussing very seriously and leading efforts in the Council around a range of actions that we believe could be effective in protecting civilians," U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice said in New York. "The U.S. view is that we need to be prepared to contemplate steps that include but perhaps go beyond a no-fly zone."

Yes, let's fling around escalated but still meaningless rhetoric, hoping for the clock to run out before we'd be able to do anything.  Obama needs to man up & simply state that as horrible as it is that people are getting killed, intervention does not serve our national interests.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Josephus

Quote from: Warspite on March 17, 2011, 07:02:04 AM

A thorn in Gadaffi's side.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Drakken

Quote from: Queequeg on March 17, 2011, 03:29:13 AM

Got the polls to back that? Nothing shows that the revolt in Lybia has a strong support of the population.

In all intrastate conflicts, only a minority, usually elites and those they coopt, either fights or support a side. Most of the population want to be left alone. They are fine with whoever is capable to defend them, they'll even use them to settle personal scores on the local level, by branding a rival an informant for the other side.

Furthermore, remaining neutral has the marginal advantage of preventing any retaliation if their territory is controled by the wrong side.