And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: grumbler on March 13, 2011, 09:44:13 AM
Quote from: Mr.Penguin on March 12, 2011, 04:03:05 PM
Yeah, the though of a bunch light armed and loosely organized rebels* beating and defeating Gaddafi's regime, seems to have been wet dream for many journalists, how disappointed they must be right now... 

* read: young and progressive.
:huh:  You've been drinking the wrong kool-aid, son.  The wet dream of journalists is to see Wacky Gaddafi stay in power and give journos more antics to write about.  Journalists already have the "light[sic] armed and loosely organized rebels" overthrowing the regime story right next door.

Now, admittedly, they would like to see France send in troops to prop up the rebel regime it has created, so they seem doomed to disappointment there.   I share that disappointment; I think Libya is one of the few countries France has not surrendered to as yet.

0/10

Oyoyoy. That was terrible. Just terrible. At least show some effort.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 12, 2011, 02:02:45 PM
Look at that fucking hipster. Fucker likely has some Trader Joe's beer.

Fuck them.
Those are boot cut jeans.  Not hipster.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Queequeg on March 13, 2011, 03:06:05 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 12, 2011, 02:02:45 PM
Look at that fucking hipster. Fucker likely has some Trader Joe's beer.

Fuck them.
Those are boot cut jeans.  Not hipster.

Only a fucking hipster would know that. Are you a fucking hipster?

Admiral Yi

I thought he was wearing gaucho skirt/shorts and stockings.  Either way dressing up as the collaborator chick from The Last Empire during a civil war does not send the right message.

Queequeg

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 13, 2011, 04:19:59 PM
One of my hipster friends has informed me that they aren't boot cut.  So, no, I guess I am not.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Kleves on March 13, 2011, 09:20:53 AM
Arab League votes to back no-fly zone (http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/03/12/libya.civil.war/index.html?hpt=T2). Apparently some still think jumping on the rebel bandwagon is a good idea.

Those bolded bits make the whole thing nonsensical. What's the point?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 13, 2011, 07:56:03 PM
Arab League votes to back no-fly zone (http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/03/12/libya.civil.war/index.html?hpt=T2). Apparently some still think jumping on the rebel bandwagon is a good idea.

They can look like they care while making it clear that they don't?
PDH!

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 13, 2011, 07:56:03 PM

As I read it, they want any involvement(the no-fly zone) to be a UN effort, not a full-scale NATO intervention.

As I don't recall the UN ever using "no-fly zones" in the past (iirc, they've all been NATO or US/UK/etc unilateral action...even if we used UN resolutions as a handy excuse), and as UN military-related efforts have pretty much been a failure since the Korean War...

I think it's too late for no-fly zones anyway.

Neil

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 13, 2011, 08:39:49 PM
as UN military-related efforts have pretty much been a failure since the Korean War...
Gulf War?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Neil on March 13, 2011, 09:41:48 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on March 13, 2011, 08:39:49 PM
as UN military-related efforts have pretty much been a failure since the Korean War...
Gulf War?

Well, the Gulf War and Korea are actually quite alike.  Under the UN name, but primarily a US show with the nominal inclusion of our favorite allies, and the notable exclusion/disinterest of most every other UN member that either doesn't really give a damn, or doesn't like us.

I suppose I was thinking of the UN military actions that involve a more widespread involvement from membership...like Lebanon, Rwanda, Congo, and Somalia.

And even without the UN, we'd probably have gone after Iraq for Gulf War I anyway.  Papa Bush had the pull to make it look good.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Queequeg on March 13, 2011, 06:48:49 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 13, 2011, 04:19:59 PM
One of my hipster friends has informed me that they aren't boot cut.  So, no, I guess I am not.

I don't believe you. I think you are a fucking hipster.

Valmy

Yeah, the though of a bunch light armed and loosely organized rebels* beating and defeating Gaddafi's regime, seems to have been wet dream for many journalists, how disappointed they must be right now... 

I thought the rebels were tribal enemies of Ghadafi...hardly progressive...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on March 14, 2011, 08:11:34 AM

I thought the rebels were tribal enemies of Ghadafi...hardly progressive...
Hard not to be more progressive than Qadafi.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 14, 2011, 09:17:24 AM
Hard not to be more progressive than Qadafi.

If 'progressive' means not evil then maybe.  If 'progressive' means more in touch with the modern world probably not.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."