News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on March 08, 2011, 04:23:41 PM
Participating in wars that are not our own is the morally right thing to do?  Why?  Just because it is there?
Berkut is terrified of the idea of doing nothing, so he just wants the US to do something.

He will criticize whatever is done, of course.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Kleves on March 09, 2011, 10:09:35 AM
Why can't the Euro handle this no-fly zone bullshit? It's in their backyard.
Europe would be divided as to which side to take.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2011, 10:31:34 AM
Quote from: Valmy on March 08, 2011, 04:23:41 PM
Participating in wars that are not our own is the morally right thing to do?  Why?  Just because it is there?
Berkut is terrified of the idea of doing nothing, so he just wants the US to do something.

He will criticize whatever is done, of course.

grumbler is correct - the idea of doing nothing has me waking in cold sweats at night.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 09, 2011, 10:27:38 AM
I assume Germany would wet their pants at the mere thought of dropping a bomb on somebody. Goddamn pussies.
When you face General Patton, you are scarred FOR ALL ETERNITY as a result. :menace:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Legbiter

Well, if you impose an effective no-fly zone then you'll have to destroy Gadaffi's anti-aircraft missiles and air force. Gadaffi will then cut off oil and gas to the West and take hostage any Westerners stupid enough to remain in Libya. And then the whole thing escalates to the point where you have no choice but to invade, fight your way through to Tripoli and depose Gadaffi.  :hmm:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Maximus

grumbler

Quote from: Legbiter on March 09, 2011, 11:36:56 AM
Well, if you impose an effective no-fly zone then you'll have to destroy Gadaffi's anti-aircraft missiles and air force. Gadaffi will then cut off oil and gas to the West and take hostage any Westerners stupid enough to remain in Libya. And then the whole thing escalates to the point where you have no choice but to invade, fight your way through to Tripoli and depose Gadaffi.  :hmm:
That's terrifying!

Bayraktar!

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on March 09, 2011, 10:31:34 AM

It's his inner McCainiac bubbling through. 

As much as I criticized the administration for how it handled Egypt, I generally approve with how they've handled Libya.  I'd like to see Gadhafi gone, but I don't see how our national interest is served by getting directly involved.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

It's not.  It will just generate more terrorism directed at us IMO.

I felt the same way about Egypt FWIW.  I have a very cynical view of all of these protest movements. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2011, 12:36:01 PM

I felt the same way about Egypt FWIW.  I have a very cynical view of all of these protest movements. :hmm:

I'm conflicted.  Generally I'd prefer a secular autocrat over most other likely forms of gov't. in that region, but it was time for Mubarak & Gadhafi to go-- their continued rule would only further embolden radical islamist elements.  I say let them get their revolutionary fervor out of their systems, let (or help) a new secular strongman emerge, and then buy him off like we did with Mubarak.

One thing that strikes me about Gadhafi btw is that he turned out to be even crazier than we thought he was in the 80s.

As far as policy is concerned, I don't see many likely immediate scenarios where it would be wise to intervene.  Most likely it will backfire, and bombs cost money.  If we could figure a clean way to get our hands on all that oil, then I might change my mind  ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

Quote from: Caliga on March 09, 2011, 12:36:01 PM

What could possibly go wrong?    <_<

Cecil

Quote from: derspiess on March 09, 2011, 12:42:37 PM

As far as policy is concerned, I don't see many likely immediate scenarios where it would be wise to intervene.  Most likely it will backfire, and bombs cost money.  If we could figure a clean way to get our hands on all that oil, then I might change my mind  ;)

Bombs cost money. Use up the arabs. The dead cost nothing.

JonasSalk

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/09/us-libya-idUSTRE7270JP20110309

QuoteForces loyal to Muammar Gaddafi regained control of the center of Zawiyah on Wednesday, after using tanks and snipers to drive rebels out of their stronghold in the western city's main square, residents said.

Is Gaddafi bi-winning?
Yuman

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 08, 2011, 10:07:29 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 08, 2011, 09:51:58 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 08, 2011, 09:41:36 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 08, 2011, 09:21:23 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 08, 2011, 08:56:55 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on March 08, 2011, 07:35:07 PM
The moment we get involved, even with a no fly zone, we take on some responsibility for events as they unfold, and thus risk getting drawn into things further.  Fuck that.

Meh, I live in America and we are burdened with responsibility whether we act or don't act. Hardly a compelling reason to do nothing.
Indeed.  We'll be blamed for it somehow.
If Gaddaffi wins we'll be blamed for not taking him down. If we take him down we'll be bashed for being evil imperialists. If we're going to be bashed either way I'd rather do something that has the possibility of a positive outcome. Therefore, I'm in favor of a no-fly zone and perhaps some airstrikes.
On who?  The rebels, as have been pointed out, are a mob.  Will you be in favor of airstrikes on them if a bunch of crazies take over and nuke DC?

I haven't seen the news story about Gadhafi dispersing crowds with nuclear weapons.

You are obviously a slave to the Lamestream media then.
PDH!

The Brain

How the fuck do you disperse a crowd that has scored nukes?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.