News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libyan Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, March 05, 2011, 09:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on March 08, 2011, 08:07:03 PM
However, I have read elsewhere that Gadaffi was planning a Francoesque retirement- return of the monarchy, creation of a democracy, etc... which would be nice. But thats assuming it was true to begin with let alone now...
The guy is a lunatic.  There's no way to predict his behavior, even when based on what he may or may not have said at some point in the past.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on March 08, 2011, 08:00:06 PM
Probably the biggest problem with not getting involved, is Gadhafi winning.

With all the Western denouncements, once back in complete control, he'd be absolutely insufferable after that.
What's wrong with Gadhafi?  He's a hoot.

Tonitrus

We'd never be able to take the sanctions off* again without looking like dumbasses, and he'd probably go right back into terrorist shenanigans.  There could be no incentive not to.  And he'd have no reason not to supply them with all sorts of annoying/deadly (for us) crap.

*The Euros would probably buy his oil again eventually, however.

garbon

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on March 08, 2011, 07:35:07 PM
The moment we get involved, even with a no fly zone, we take on some responsibility for events as they unfold, and thus risk getting drawn into things further.  Fuck that.

Meh, I live in America and we are burdened with responsibility whether we act or don't act. Hardly a compelling reason to do nothing.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: garbon on March 08, 2011, 08:56:55 PM
The moment we get involved, even with a no fly zone, we take on some responsibility for events as they unfold, and thus risk getting drawn into things further.  Fuck that.

Meh, I live in America and we are burdened with responsibility whether we act or don't act. Hardly a compelling reason to do nothing.
Indeed.  We'll be blamed for it somehow.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 08, 2011, 09:21:23 PM

If Gaddaffi wins we'll be blamed for not taking him down. If we take him down we'll be bashed for being evil imperialists. If we're going to be bashed either way I'd rather do something that has the possibility of a positive outcome. Therefore, I'm in favor of a no-fly zone and perhaps some airstrikes.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 08, 2011, 09:41:36 PM

If Gaddaffi wins we'll be blamed for not taking him down. If we take him down we'll be bashed for being evil imperialists. If we're going to be bashed either way I'd rather do something that has the possibility of a positive outcome. Therefore, I'm in favor of a no-fly zone and perhaps some airstrikes.
On who?  The rebels, as have been pointed out, are a mob.  Will you be in favor of airstrikes on them if a bunch of crazies take over and nuke DC?
PDH!

Tonitrus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 08, 2011, 09:51:58 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 08, 2011, 09:41:36 PM

On who?  The rebels, as have been pointed out, are a mob.  Will you be in favor of airstrikes on them if a bunch of crazies take over and nuke DC?

I haven't seen the news story about Gadhafi dispersing crowds with nuclear weapons.

Mr.Penguin

I highly doubt that a No Fly zone with UN backing will take effect. Mainly becourse the reason for setting up such a No Fly zone isnt humanitarian, but rather some member states wish for a regime change. To many member states fear that they could be the next target of such a regime change, China and Russia doesnt believe this kind of regime change either, especially as many of their friends could be next...   
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Kleves

Why can't the Euro handle this no-fly zone bullshit? It's in their backyard.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Kleves on March 09, 2011, 10:09:35 AM

They need big daddy to hold their widdle hands.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Kleves on March 09, 2011, 10:09:35 AM

With out the UN, no way. We are talking about nations that couldnt fire back at Bosnian Serbs in self defense without first calling UN HQ in New York...

Berkut

Do any of the Euroes have an air force that could take on Libya?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Mr.Penguin

Quote from: Berkut on March 09, 2011, 10:20:15 AM
Do any of the Euroes have an air force that could take on Libya?

France  seems to be the only one, not sure about the UK with all their cutbacks...

Ed Anger

According to wiki, the UK has 130 Tornadoes and 64 Eurofighters. The Wops should have a sizable air force too.

I assume Germany would wet their pants at the mere thought of dropping a bomb on somebody. Goddamn pussies.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive