News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

House Passes Puerto Rican Statehood Plebiscite

Started by jimmy olsen, April 29, 2010, 07:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

It's shame he didn't take up my offer to send him to South Africa.  Of course I would probably get in trouble for abetting terrorism or something.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Minsky Moment

I don't agree with this -- the patricians should be allowed to vote as well.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 30, 2010, 08:02:31 AM
The territory designation is antiquated and left over from the frontier/colonial days

:ultra:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 30, 2010, 09:56:53 AM
The territory designation is antiquated and left over from the frontier/colonial days

Are you saying the Yukon is not a frontier area?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Quote from: The Larch on April 30, 2010, 07:07:18 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 30, 2010, 07:01:13 AM
Are the poor parts of Spain near Portugal?

Yup, the poorest parts of Spain, Andalucía and Extremadura, both border Portugal. Galicia and Castilla y León, the other two regions that border Portugal, are not that well off either.

Did Andalucía's CoT stagnate?

Ed Anger

My plan for Puerto Rico would be to convert the population into helots, and cull them every year.

The rest will service us, the equals of the republic.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 30, 2010, 10:13:41 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 30, 2010, 09:56:53 AM

Are you saying the Yukon is not a frontier area?

I'm saying that territories are not antiquated or left-overs. 

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 30, 2010, 11:15:17 AM

I was only talking about the United States Beeb.  The only area we have comparable to your territories is Alaska and it is already a state.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on April 30, 2010, 11:39:25 AM

I was only talking about the United States Beeb.  The only area we have comparable to your territories is Alaska and it is already a state.

Don't try and talk me down from my feigned internet rage! :ultra:

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on April 30, 2010, 11:40:33 AM

Sorry :blush:

You know sometimes it is annoying having a serious opinion about something nobody else on the forum takes seriously :P

Heck this issue is so huge Glenn Beck went out of his way to make up a huge conspiracy about it.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on April 30, 2010, 11:40:33 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 30, 2010, 11:39:25 AM

Soothing image #254
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 30, 2010, 03:12:17 AM
"more spanish speaking" is written so that it refers to individuals.

You heard wrong, every Puerto Rican born in the states that I know speaks English well enough to function in society.

I hardly see how Puerto Rico's example is going to sway people in other mainland states. There are obvious historical differences and reasons for Spanish to be one of the official languages of Puerto Rico and they're not transferable.
Puerto Ricans aren't the only Spanish speakers. Don't they tend to live in the north east and generally pretty English states?
I was of course speaking of the southern states where they've lots of Spanish speakers of other origins.
The reason it could sway is it would rubbish the argument that having a state speaking a utterly different language would mess with the way the country works. Who gives a crap about the reasons for Puerto Rico being Spanish speaking, that it is is enough.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on April 30, 2010, 12:54:52 PM
I was of course speaking of the southern states where they've lots of Spanish speakers of other origins.
The reason it could sway is it would rubbish the argument that having a state speaking a utterly different language would mess with the way the country works. Who gives a crap about the reasons for Puerto Rico being Spanish speaking, that it is is enough.
I'm not aware of that particular argument being put worth.

dps

If Puerto Rico ever becomes a state, I think that the result in the long run would be that it eventually becomes a primarily English-speaking area.  Actually, that may happen anyway, but statehood would speed up the process IMO.