Congressman to Obama: Push immigration or I’ll tell Latino voters to stay home

Started by jimmy olsen, April 20, 2010, 08:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fate

Quote from: Berkut on April 27, 2010, 11:55:30 PM
What does "immigration reform" mean exactly?

Some combination of border security, a more sensible visa process, a guest worker program, a national ID card, and amnesty depending on your political affiliation.

KRonn

Quote from: Fate on April 27, 2010, 11:59:57 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 27, 2010, 11:55:30 PM
What does "immigration reform" mean exactly?

Some combination of border security, a more sensible visa process, a guest worker program, a national ID card, and amnesty depending on your political affiliation.
:D

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on April 27, 2010, 04:10:21 PM
Nope, not wrong, just flimsy evidence that illegal immigrants are less likely to commit crimes, given that 100% of them *are* committing crimes :lol:

Well we all commit some crime at some point in our life, no? I've jaywalked, for instance.

Obviously walking across the street isn't the same thing as crossing the border illegally, but I don't see how breaking a law to get into the US means you are more prone to being a violent criminal. And I suspect that if the statistics had shown that violent crimes had gone up in Arizona you would blame illegal immigrants.

Jaron

Most illegal immigrants are very poor. Very poor people need money and are desperate to get it. I can safely conclude then that poor people are more likely to commit crimes. Its not a color thing or an immigrant thing so much as economic. If we exported half of our ghetto blacks from Detroit and Chicago to Everyville, Canada I'm sure crime would increase too.

Winner of THE grumbler point.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Faeelin on April 28, 2010, 09:11:25 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 27, 2010, 04:10:21 PM
Nope, not wrong, just flimsy evidence that illegal immigrants are less likely to commit crimes, given that 100% of them *are* committing crimes :lol:

Well we all commit some crime at some point in our life, no? I've jaywalked, for instance.

Obviously walking across the street isn't the same thing as crossing the border illegally, but I don't see how breaking a law to get into the US means you are more prone to being a violent criminal. And I suspect that if the statistics had shown that violent crimes had gone up in Arizona you would blame illegal immigrants.

Regulatory offences aren't criminal offences.  You are not committing a crime by jaywalking.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

ulmont

Quote from: Barrister on April 29, 2010, 04:59:14 PM
Regulatory offences aren't criminal offences.  You are not committing a crime by jaywalking.

Beeb, you're talking Canadian again.  In Georgia, all traffic offenses not specifically otherwise defined - including jaywalking - are misdemeanors.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on April 29, 2010, 03:01:09 PM
Bill Clinton sez the answer to our federal budget problems is MOAR IMIGRUNTS :lol:

More people, working, consuming goods, paying taxes and contributing to the economy, would tend to help the federal budget.  You don't agree with that?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on April 29, 2010, 05:47:33 PM
Quote from: derspiess on April 29, 2010, 03:01:09 PM
Bill Clinton sez the answer to our federal budget problems is MOAR IMIGRUNTS :lol:

More people, working, consuming goods, paying taxes and contributing to the economy, would tend to help the federal budget.  You don't agree with that?

You have to balance it against government services consumed by more people.  More immigrants may help the economy, but it is not patently obvious that it would.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.