Vatican’s No. 2 Says Celibacy Not ‘Untouchable,’

Started by jimmy olsen, April 28, 2010, 01:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on April 28, 2010, 04:30:07 AM
WTF surely Maryland hookers don't demand that you meet their friends? If so MD = FIAL. :bleeding:

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 28, 2010, 04:24:49 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 28, 2010, 04:18:24 AM
Why not.  I do.

Because your condition is not critical. Besides, having recently started an attempt at a sincere relationship, I don't really see what the big deal is. Do it if you want, drop it if you don't.

ZOMG TBR SANKTITTY VIOLATR

CountDeMoney

Camerus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 28, 2010, 04:15:15 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 28, 2010, 04:01:59 AM
What kind of person would want to live a life of perpetual celibacy?

Why not?  Think of all the bullshit you avoid what with the dinner and a movie nonsense wondering when she's finally going to be ready to put out only to have to leverage whatever possible ass you can score into having to go to arts and crafts shows during the wild card weekend and that's only if you're not trapped in the Friend Zone and that's not the Friend Zone with her but her own friends who silently judge and conspire against you.

Priests just can't sleep in on Sundays, and Mass is over by kickoff anyway.

Fags are right.  Being a cuntslave sucks.

And yet for all that, you still wouldn't want a life of celibacy.   ;)

Grallon

Took you long enough.  However you're getting old for the endless hot sex that is our prerogative.  On the other hand you're wealthy enough to find a compliant boy toy, one that will welcome the cuffs and anal ramming. :contract:

Welcome into the welcoming embrace of our Faith(TM).  :hug:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on April 28, 2010, 02:05:48 AM
QuoteCelibacy is not "untouchable"

Just like little children!

I wanted to say the same when I saw the thread title!

Josquius

In a world of declining religosity having your most religious of people not breed is silly.
██████
██████
██████

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Alatriste on April 28, 2010, 02:07:28 AM
It would be quite revolutionary

Not at all - for much of Late Antiquity it was quite common for priests to be ordained later in life after they had a family.  The expectation and ideal was that marital relations would cease but that was not always enforced strictly.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on April 28, 2010, 10:03:24 AM
It would be quite revolutionary

Not at all - for much of Late Antiquity it was quite common for priests to be ordained later in life after they had a family.  The expectation and ideal was that marital relations would cease but that was not always enforced strictly.

It wouldn't be unprecedented, but it would be a tremendous change--if you think of the three vows of celibacy, obediance, and poverty that many priests make--once you remove chastity it becomes hard to make the other two (you can't tell a potential father he needs to stay in poverty, and must follow the directions which may move him to a dangerous place or job). There is also probably something to the idea that the Catholic Church is less open to change than mainstream protestant sects because its clergy is has to make much more extreme lifestyle changes due to celibacy and thus keeps out more secular individuals--ending celibacy could open the floodgates to change.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2010, 10:39:09 AM
It wouldn't be unprecedented, but it would be a tremendous change--if you think of the three vows of celibacy, obediance, and poverty that many priests make--once you remove chastity it becomes hard to make the other two (you can't tell a potential father he needs to stay in poverty, and must follow the directions which may move him to a dangerous place or job). There is also probably something to the idea that the Catholic Church is less open to change than mainstream protestant sects because its clergy is has to make much more extreme lifestyle changes due to celibacy and thus keeps out more secular individuals--ending celibacy could open the floodgates to change.

The Church has been around for almost 2000 years; it has had to be open to change and will need to be in the future to survive.

The strict enforcement of celibacy and marriage bans was the product of a particular social environment, not some irrevocable and inevitable dogmatic truth.  In a feudal era where status was inherited, the Church needed to have some mechanism to keep control over its property and to maintain authority over its people.  That era has long past and the Church now faces a radically altered social reality that requires a different approach.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Don't be. Even today there is a non insignificant - and growing - number of married Catholic priests, because the Catholic Church does accept Anglican and Orthodox Greek priests in the 'true faith' ranks with their wives and sons. Also, supposedly some Catholic priests in Eastern Europe did marry during the Cold War; Rome granted them exemptions from celibacy due to the secret or semi-secret nature of their missions.
they accept any married man as priest, they just don't allow priests to marry after they take their vows.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on April 28, 2010, 07:11:05 AM

Took you long enough.  However you're getting old for the endless hot sex that is our prerogative.  On the other hand you're wealthy enough to find a compliant boy toy, one that will welcome the cuffs and anal ramming. :contract:

Welcome into the welcoming embrace of our Faith(TM).  :hug:

G.
sounds like you are volunteering for Cdm...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

You can't take away celibacy. Celibacy is what makes Catholic priests special. Well that and organized pedophilia.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.