Vatican’s No. 2 Says Celibacy Not ‘Untouchable,’

Started by jimmy olsen, April 28, 2010, 01:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I'd be surprised if they changed this after all these years, even given the current scandals.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-04-27/vatican-s-no-2-says-celibacy-not-untouchable-tv3-reports.html
QuoteVatican's No. 2 Says Celibacy Not 'Untouchable,' TV3 Reports
April 27, 2010, 11:22 AM EDT

By Jeffrey Donovan

April 27 (Bloomberg) -- The Roman Catholic Church is open to discussing whether priests must remain celibate, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, the Vatican's second-in-command, told Spain's channel TV3 in an interview.

Celibacy is not "untouchable" and some Catholic priests in the church's Greek-rite tradition lead married lives, the Vatican secretary of state told the Catalan-language station in an interview posted on its Web site today. Still, the centuries- old celibacy rule remains "a positive and fruitful tradition."

The Vatican is struggling to respond to a wave of child sex-abuse allegations against priests in several countries, including Pope Benedict XVI's native Germany. Austrian Cardinal Christoph Schonborn wrote in March that there may be a link between celibacy and pedophilia by priests. Bertone said there's no direct connection between celibacy and "the deviant behavior of certain priests," according to an April 25 interview he gave to Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia.

The Vatican on March 12 denied it's secretly planning to scrap the rule of priestly celibacy within 50 years. The denial came after Italian newspaper la Repubblica reported the Church is studying ways to loosen the requirement that priests abstain from sexual activity in an effort to rebuild its image in the wake of the sex-abuse scandals.

--Editors: Andrew Davis, Kevin Costelloe

To contact the reporter on this story: Jeffrey Donovan at [email protected]
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

QuoteCelibacy is not "untouchable"

Just like little children!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Alatriste

Don't be. Even today there is a non insignificant - and growing - number of married Catholic priests, because the Catholic Church does accept Anglican and Orthodox Greek priests in the 'true faith' ranks with their wives and sons. Also, supposedly some Catholic priests in Eastern Europe did marry during the Cold War; Rome granted them exemptions from celibacy due to the secret or semi-secret nature of their missions.

It would be quite revolutionary, true, but it's not only the recent scandals. Empty seminaries have been deeply troubling Rome for a long time too. Actually I would be tempted to say that their very serious difficulties getting new recruits are one of the reasons the Church accepted so many rotten apples...

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HisMajestyBOB

Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

CountDeMoney

Celibacy niether addresses or solves kiddiefucking.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on April 28, 2010, 03:16:40 AM
It would stop nocturnal emissions though.

I was a celibate teenager as a virgin;  didn't stop mine.

Camerus

What kind of person would want to live a life of perpetual celibacy?

The Brain

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on April 28, 2010, 04:01:59 AM
What kind of person would want to live a life of perpetual celibacy?

Why not?  Think of all the bullshit you avoid what with the dinner and a movie nonsense wondering when she's finally going to be ready to put out only to have to leverage whatever possible ass you can score into having to go to arts and crafts shows during the wild card weekend and that's only if you're not trapped in the Friend Zone and that's not the Friend Zone with her but her own friends who silently judge and conspire against you.

Priests just can't sleep in on Sundays, and Mass is over by kickoff anyway.

Fags are right.  Being a cuntslave sucks.

garbon

Pardon me if I can't weep tears for you, Seed, at this juncture.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 28, 2010, 04:18:24 AM
Why not.  I do.

Because your condition is not critical. Besides, having recently started an attempt at a sincere relationship, I don't really see what the big deal is. Do it if you want, drop it if you don't.

The Brain

WTF surely Maryland hookers don't demand that you meet their friends? If so MD = FIAL. :bleeding: