And we're back!

Main Menu

Why 'Gen Y' should cry

Started by FunkMonk, April 24, 2010, 11:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Monoriu on April 25, 2010, 05:08:52 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2010, 03:29:58 AM
Quote from: Alcibiades on April 24, 2010, 09:06:05 PMOn a side note, have 1 credit card and 0 debt. I probably have more in the bank right now than that faggot Martinus has ever had.   :nelson:

I doubt it, but bring it. Let's compare our financial dicks.

Yeah, I think Martinus, being a lawyer in his 30s, should be able to win this one.
Given that Alcibiades is getting a free ride at college, and he probably banked a year's worth of base pay and combat pay while he was on tour, it's probably closer than you think, but yeah, I still gotta give the edge to Martinus.  Although Alcibiades could be keeping a goofy amount of money in a savings or checking account and win on a technicality.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on April 25, 2010, 05:38:54 AM
Yeah, I don't remember anybody thinking they would be any of those things, but then again my high school was mostly Jews  :(
I figure Marty misread it as "60% of students *dream* of being X, Y, or Z."

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 25, 2010, 05:43:11 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 25, 2010, 05:08:52 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2010, 03:29:58 AM
Quote from: Alcibiades on April 24, 2010, 09:06:05 PMOn a side note, have 1 credit card and 0 debt. I probably have more in the bank right now than that faggot Martinus has ever had.   :nelson:

I doubt it, but bring it. Let's compare our financial dicks.

Yeah, I think Martinus, being a lawyer in his 30s, should be able to win this one.
Given that Alcibiades is getting a free ride at college, and he probably banked a year's worth of base pay and combat pay while he was on tour, it's probably closer than you think, but yeah, I still gotta give the edge to Martinus.  Although Alcibiades could be keeping a goofy amount of money in a savings or checking account and win on a technicality.

Well, I never had a college loan since we have free education here. My mortgage on my city flat is paid off, I have savings and I assume when we compare dicks it means assets minus liabilities and not just cash. Now, I spend a lot of money on clothes, entertainment, trips and boyfriends, but still I believe I'd come ahead.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 25, 2010, 05:44:20 AM
Yeah, I don't remember anybody thinking they would be any of those things, but then again my high school was mostly Jews  :(
I figure Marty misread it as "60% of students *dream* of being X, Y, or Z."

I suspect the opposite was true for you reading about the survey, for journalists writing about the survey, for people organizing the survey or for the students taking the survey, tbh. ;)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2010, 05:55:46 AM
I suspect the opposite was true for you reading about the survey, for journalists writing about the survey, for people organizing the survey or for the students taking the survey, tbh. ;)
Uh, what now?  Do you mean you suspect the opposite is not true?

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 25, 2010, 05:59:02 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2010, 05:55:46 AM
Uh, what now?  Do you mean you suspect the opposite is not true?

I meant that at least one of the groups/individuals mentioned misunderstood the results as reading what you are saying they read, rather than saying "I wish I was an artist etc."

I think it is a much more likely explanation than the one saying "60% of students think they will be artists etc." 

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

On the jobs issue, here is an article from the Wall Street Journal.

An excerpt:

If there is one overriding perception of the millennial generation, it's that these young people have great -- and sometimes outlandish -- expectations. Employers realize the millennials are their future work force, but they are concerned about this generation's desire to shape their jobs to fit their lives rather than adapt their lives to the workplace.
[The Millennials] Alison Seiffer

Although members of other generations were considered somewhat spoiled in their youth, millennials feel an unusually strong sense of entitlement. Older adults criticize the high-maintenance rookies for demanding too much too soon. "They want to be CEO tomorrow," is a common refrain from corporate recruiters.

More than 85% of hiring managers and human-resource executives said they feel that millennials have a stronger sense of entitlement than older workers, according to a survey by CareerBuilder.com. The generation's greatest expectations: higher pay (74% of respondents); flexible work schedules (61%); a promotion within a year (56%); and more vacation or personal time (50%).

"They really do seem to want everything, and I can't decide if it's an inability or an unwillingness to make trade-offs," says Derrick Bolton, assistant dean and M.B.A. admissions director at Stanford University's Graduate School of Business. "They want to be CEO, for example, but they say they don't want to give up time with their families."

Millennials, of course, will have to temper their expectations as they seek employment during this deep economic slump. But their sense of entitlement is an ingrained trait that will likely resurface in a stronger job market. Some research studies indicate that the millennial generation's great expectations stem from feelings of superiority. Michigan State University's Collegiate Employment Research Institute and MonsterTrak, an online careers site, conducted a research study of 18- to 28-year-olds and found that nearly half had moderate to high superiority beliefs about themselves. The superiority factor was measured by responses to such statements as "I deserve favors from others" and "I know that I have more natural talents than most."

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Lest we GenXers feel left out, the Wall Street Journal has something for us, too.

CHICAGO — They're antsy and edgy, tired of waiting for promotion opportunities at work as their elders put off retirement. A good number of them are just waiting for the economy to pick up so they can hop to the next job, find something more fulfilling and get what they think they deserve. Oh, and they want work-life balance, too.

Sounds like Gen Y, the so-called "entitlement generation," right?

Not necessarily, say people who track the generations. In these hard times, they're also hearing strong rumblings of discontent from Generation X. They're the 32- to 44-year-olds who are wedged between baby boomers and their children, often feeling like forgotten middle siblings — and increasingly restless at work as a result.

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2010, 03:32:27 AM
Quote from: DGuller on April 24, 2010, 10:36:37 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 24, 2010, 05:23:49 PM
Recall for those latter two that Marti went to arts & crafts school.
He did?  That explains a lot.

No.  :lol:

I was in a maths/physics class in high school.
Did you have to choose between math/physics and humanities concentrations as well once you got into higher grades?  That's how it was in Ukraine.

Martinus

Well, not sure what "concentrations" are, but I guess it's something that was called "profiles" in my high school. You've got classes with different profiles (when I was in high school, these were: general, math-physics, bio-chem, humanities and informatics - now they have more choices, like focusing on languages or economy). The difference was the focus / extra hours of a given profile each week (for example we had 6 hours of mathematics and 3 hours of physics, instead of 4 and 2, respectively, per week, but only two hours of history, and no third foreign language classes). I ended up in math-physics mainly because it was a profile rumored to have best teachers and best students (the humanities one was mainly potheads :P).

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 24, 2010, 05:18:15 PM
Huh?  In my graduating class zero percent thought they would be pro athletes, musicians, or actors.

Secretly ruling the world leaves little time to be a pro athlete, musician or actor.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

How many thought they'd be movie producers or write scripts?  ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 25, 2010, 05:43:11 AM
he probably banked a year's worth of base pay and combat pay while he was on tour

I wonder what that looks like.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on April 25, 2010, 08:50:44 AM
Lest we GenXers feel left out, the Wall Street Journal has something for us, too.

CHICAGO — They're antsy and edgy, tired of waiting for promotion opportunities at work as their elders put off retirement. A good number of them are just waiting for the economy to pick up so they can hop to the next job, find something more fulfilling and get what they think they deserve. Oh, and they want work-life balance, too.

Sounds like Gen Y, the so-called "entitlement generation," right?

Not necessarily, say people who track the generations. In these hard times, they're also hearing strong rumblings of discontent from Generation X. They're the 32- to 44-year-olds who are wedged between baby boomers and their children, often feeling like forgotten middle siblings — and increasingly restless at work as a result.

Bah.  Baby boomers are in full-fledged retirement mode.  Lots of openings coming available.  It's a great time to be a Gen Xer.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2010, 12:29:54 PM
Bah.  Baby boomers are in full-fledged retirement mode.  Lots of openings coming available.  It's a great time to be a Gen Xer.

Not necessarily.  When the economy shit the bed, the most affected were those within 5 years of retirement;  a ton of them have found themselves working and putting off retirement to make up for the 401K market losses.