News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Why 'Gen Y' should cry

Started by FunkMonk, April 24, 2010, 11:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2010, 03:22:22 PM
Fuck you all. I was smart and chose grandparents who were rich.

Best option by far.   :Embarrass:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Martinus

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 25, 2010, 02:20:51 PM
Quote from: garbon on April 25, 2010, 11:16:30 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 25, 2010, 05:43:11 AM
he probably banked a year's worth of base pay and combat pay while he was on tour

I wonder what that looks like.

$3,500 a month into my pocket tax free.  :)

Just banked out on Intel last week, +52% profit on $26,000.   :bowler:

Still have some invested though, but if we're including assets, depending on how much marty's flat is ( although it is Poland so probably cheaper than an RV in the US) he may come out ahead despite my car and new motorcycle.

This is really gauche, but my flat is worth about $170-200k (it's rather smallish, I admit). And obviously I have savings (I dislike investing).

Btw, considering your pay - a junior fresh-out-of-college lawyer in Poland earns this in my firm  (I understand, the pay in our London and US offices is considerably higher due to higher costs of living)  :)

Alcibiades

Going off assets alone you have me beat, but then again you are 10 years older than me as well.  I'm around 100- 115k.  Which you guys can think what ever you want, that's damn good for only being 22 and in school supporting myself and a child.   :showoff:

P.s. Most of my assets are liquid for better or worse at this point.  :unsure:
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2010, 01:02:17 PM
Not necessarily.  When the economy shit the bed, the most affected were those within 5 years of retirement;  a ton of them have found themselves working and putting off retirement to make up for the 401K market losses.

That's exactly what I'm seeing.  I'm looking for an alternative right now myself.  My career path here appears to involve being stuck in the same spot for 5 - 10 more years, followed by either being thrust into a position I'm not ready for or passed over for someone from the outside.  The economy is just making the situation worse; the developmental middle management positions that should be held by people with 8 - 12 years of experience are held by people with twice that, and the positions those people should have are held by people with 35+.  Also, as a result, there's no talent pipeline to speak of.

Alcibiades

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 25, 2010, 01:02:17 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 25, 2010, 12:29:54 PM
Bah.  Baby boomers are in full-fledged retirement mode.  Lots of openings coming available.  It's a great time to be a Gen Xer.

Not necessarily.  When the economy shit the bed, the most affected were those within 5 years of retirement;  a ton of them have found themselves working and putting off retirement to make up for the 401K market losses.

Exactly where I'm kind of unsure right now... I don't really know what I should do with my money any more, can't afford to take a hit like many did during this last bubble...  Any real alternatives that you guys are checking out?

garbon

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 25, 2010, 03:25:58 PM
Did they teach you how to use commas at Standford? :D

And that's obviously only because you're black.   :lol:

My art history professor recommended The Elements of Style. :(

No, it's actually called having parents with money. Kinda fun actually.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 25, 2010, 03:29:13 PM
Going off assets alone you have me beat, but then again you are 10 years older than me as well.  I'm around 100- 115k.  Which you guys can think what ever you want, that's damn good for only being 22 and in school supporting myself and a child.   :showoff:

P.s. Most of my assets are liquid for better or worse at this point.  :unsure:

About half of my assets are liquid. I'm also the only heir to my parents' estate which is about 1 mil (but sadly mostly illiquid at this point - that's what having an expensive collecting hobby does to you  :rolleyes:).

Alcibiades

Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2010, 03:34:39 PM
About half of my assets are liquid. I'm also the only heir to my parents' estate which is about 1 mil (but sadly most illiquid).

Lucky  :o

Your parents sound nice though, so hopefully they out live you. :p

Martinus

For the record, the child-rearing costs will sky-rocket when you hit school age and will continue to raise until college.

Enjoy your ride, breeder.  :nelson:

Alcibiades

Quote from: garbon on April 25, 2010, 03:32:37 PM

My art history professor recommended The Elements of Style. :(

Spoiled brat.   :glare:

Alcibiades

Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2010, 03:37:59 PM
For the record, the child-rearing costs will sky-rocket when you hit school age and will continue to raise until college.

Enjoy your ride, breeder.  :nelson:

Make the little bastards get a job, I did.   :P

Martinus

Quote from: Alcibiades on April 25, 2010, 03:37:31 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 25, 2010, 03:34:39 PM
About half of my assets are liquid. I'm also the only heir to my parents' estate which is about 1 mil (but sadly most illiquid).

Lucky  :o

Your parents sound nice though, so hopefully they out live you. :p

Unlikely, unless I get gaybashed or catch AIDS within the next year or so. Dad is 75, mom is 65.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 25, 2010, 03:32:37 PM

I know. I'm surprised more people do not try it.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points