England - the least patriotic country in Europe

Started by Palisadoes, April 20, 2010, 05:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Palisadoes

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2010, 06:56:35 PM
And yet most of the top threads right now are about England...
Have you read the threads? We're just slagging ourselves off.

dps

QuoteOnly a third are aware that 23 April is St George's Day and four out of 10 have no idea why he is England's patron saint

Lack of patriotism, or just lack of education?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2010, 06:22:26 PM
dragons don't seem to be a severe problem in England.
That's because he killed them. :contract:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2010, 07:41:30 PM

Tim: Unafraid to make a joke two hours after someone else has.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2010, 07:54:08 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 20, 2010, 07:41:30 PM

Tim: Unafraid to make a joke two hours after someone else has.
I actually was in the middle of writing that 2 hours ago, but had to leave my computer. Once I got back I finished it up and posted it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Okay... Tim: The type of guy who spends two hours to write a five word sentence.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

MadImmortalMan

The Patriots were the ones who fought against England. Duh. Everyone left in Great Britain now is by definition a Tory. Even the Labour Tories.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 20, 2010, 05:45:53 PM
It's hard to imagine that the English are less patriotic than Belgians.

belgians don't exist.

Razgovory

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on April 21, 2010, 12:35:23 AM
Oh yeah, where to those waffles come from?

The gas station where Cal has his breakfast. We have GOT to list that place on Zagat or Yelp or something.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2010, 06:42:48 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2010, 06:35:34 PM
Well of course they're not anymore.  Thanks, St. George!  :bowler:

They probably left when St. Patrick banished the Snakes from Ireland.  Typical English, taking credit for the work of an Irishmen.

Ah, but St Patrick was Romano-British, though it is not clear which part of Britain he was from.

The Brain

Since England isn't a country comparing its "patriotism" to countries seems a bit silly.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 21, 2010, 01:01:54 AM
The gas station where Cal has his breakfast. We have GOT to list that place on Zagat or Yelp or something.

Indeed. If the SF pot truffle man has a yelp entry...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Gups

Quote from: Agelastus on April 20, 2010, 05:24:18 PM
My primary identity is British, not English; I'd guess that is true for a large number of the English. English patriotism only comes out at the occasional sporting event, and I'd be quite willing to cheer Scotland in a competition where England had been knocked out. Whereas I think that Scots, Welsh and Irish consider themselves to be that before they think of themselves as British, so the reverse is not true.

It's very obvious that you are not a football fan. No England football fan would dream of suporting Scotland against anyone other than Germany of Argentina. 30 years ago maybe, not now. I also think that most English pepole consider themselves just that and not British.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Gups on April 21, 2010, 03:06:36 AM
I also think that most English pepole consider themselves just that and not British.
A sad development. :(

1 Karma Chameleon point