England - the least patriotic country in Europe

Started by Palisadoes, April 20, 2010, 05:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Brazen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 21, 2010, 03:59:26 AM
Quote from: Gups on April 21, 2010, 03:06:36 AM
I also think that most English pepole consider themselves just that and not British.
A sad development. :(
Why? Would you say the same about the Welsh, Scottish and Irish who are far more guilty of this (arguably because they have a stronger national identity*)?

* funny accents

Brazen

Quote from: Agelastus on April 20, 2010, 05:24:18 PM
My primary identity is British, not English; I'd guess that is true for a large number of the English. English patriotism only comes out at the occasional sporting event, and I'd be quite willing to cheer Scotland in a competition where England had been knocked out. Whereas I think that Scots, Welsh and Irish consider themselves to be that before they think of themselves as British, so the reverse is not true.

It's very obvious that you are not a football fan. No England football fan would dream of suporting Scotland against anyone other than Germany of Argentina. 30 years ago maybe, not now. I also think that most English pepole consider themselves just that and not British.
There is also a Celtic cabal - the Welsh, Irish and Scots will always support each other in a rugby or fotball match against England. In fact, they will genrally support whoever we're playing against!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 20, 2010, 08:14:01 PM
Okay... Tim: The type of guy who spends two hours to write a five word sentence.

:lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: dps on April 20, 2010, 07:28:33 PM
QuoteOnly a third are aware that 23 April is St George's Day and four out of 10 have no idea why he is England's patron saint

Lack of patriotism, or just lack of education?
Lack of a calender.
Increasingly people don't bother with them these days
██████
██████
██████

Palisadoes

Quote from: Brazen on April 21, 2010, 04:07:07 AM
There is also a Celtic cabal - the Welsh, Irish and Scots will always support each other in a rugby or fotball match against England. In fact, they will genrally support whoever we're playing against![/quote]
Their entire nationalism and identity is based upon hating and being different from the English! :rolleyes:

Josquius

Quote from: Palisadoes on April 21, 2010, 05:49:46 AM
Their entire nationalism and identity is based upon hating and being different from the English! :rolleyes:
Quite.

Football is a HUGE contributer to Scotish nationalism.
I always wondered what the state of the SNP would be if back in the early 20th century a British team had been formed instead of English, Scottish, etc...
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

Quote from: Tyr on April 21, 2010, 05:56:29 AM
Let's not forget fuelling the internal Catholic/Proddy conflicts.

Alatriste

Quite.

I always wondered what the state of the SNP would be if back in the early 20th century a British team had been formed instead of English.

And that's probably the reason nutty separatists want their own 'national' teams... oddly enough, when told the plain truth, that having four teams has led to England having got no titles in the last 45 years (and the 1966 World Cup is the only first class title England ever got) and to Scotland, Wales and North Ireland being mere stooges, they go ballistic!

Grey Fox

I have a George Cross Flag. I'm gooing to hang it in my office for the World Cup :cool:

Go England!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

Quote from: Alatriste on April 21, 2010, 06:34:45 AM
Quite.

I always wondered what the state of the SNP would be if back in the early 20th century a British team had been formed instead of English.

And that's probably the reason nutty separatists want their own 'national' teams... oddly enough, when told the plain truth, that having four teams has led to England having got no titles in the last 45 years (and the 1966 World Cup is the only first class title England ever got) and to Scotland, Wales and North Ireland being mere stooges, they go ballistic!

I just think every time a castillian looks at british football he shudders to think that first of all, "we have only one first class title" and second of alll "if the catalans, basques, gallegos and andalucians only go their act together spain never will win a second first class title"
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Gups

Do "they" really go ballistic? I'm surprised - a look of incredulity would be more apropriate.  The fact is it's made no difference at all.  How many Scottish players would get into the England team right now? Can you even name any without googling? We'd have to go back to the late 70s to find a time when more than one non-English player could get into the team and Giggs wouldn't have made all that much difference.

Agelastus

It's very obvious that you are not a football fan. No England football fan would dream of suporting Scotland against anyone other than Germany of Argentina. 30 years ago maybe, not now. I also think that most English pepole consider themselves just that and not British.

Obviously, I disagree with you; and although I would not consider myself a fanatic, my long term support of Liverpool and loathing of Arsenal indicates I am not entirely dispassionate about football.

Nevertheless, were Arsenal still in a European competition with Liverpool knocked out, I would support Arsenal over their opponents; the same principal applies to the "national" teams of Great Britain.

Of course, in its own way, my attitude is as narrow-minded as that of the people you are referring to. It does, however, reinforce the point that my patriotism is British, not English, and I think that attitude is more prevalent in England than you believe.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Gups

I know a lot of Liverpool fans. Not a single one of them would support Man Utd in any European match. I'd be surprised if they weren't in the overwhelming majority. The reverse is also true.

I know even more England fans and not one of them would support Scotland, except against Germany and Argentina. I think this is a relatively new development (i.e since the 80s) as I do recall people supporting Scotland in the 78 World Cup.

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on April 21, 2010, 06:55:17 AM

Do "they" really go ballistic? I'm surprised - a look of incredulity would be more apropriate.  The fact is it's made no difference at all.  How many Scottish players would get into the England team right now? Can you even name any without googling? We'd have to go back to the late 70s to find a time when more than one non-English player could get into the team and Giggs wouldn't have made all that much difference.
Craig Gordon
██████
██████
██████