News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Game Changing Weapons of the Third Reich

Started by jimmy olsen, April 10, 2009, 04:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What weapon, if introduced a year earlier, would have had the most positive effect on the German War effort.

Sturmgewehr 44
2 (6.1%)
Panzer V
3 (9.1%)
Me - 262
15 (45.5%)
Type XXI U-boats
6 (18.2%)
Panzerfaust
2 (6.1%)
Other (specify)
5 (15.2%)

Total Members Voted: 32

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on April 10, 2009, 08:15:37 PM
Ah the good old gumbler gambit :lol:
Ah, the good ol' "I will attack the questioner instead of answering the question" gambit  :lol:

EPIC  FAIL.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on April 10, 2009, 08:44:43 PM
You all know more about WWII than me, but to really turn things around for Germany, wouldn't there have had to be success on the Eastern Front? 300 jet fighters after Stalingrad seems unlikely to change the course of the war.

Had Germany defeated the Soviets quickly, they could have had the manpower to prevent a successful invasion of Europe. I don't know if jets could have turned the tide in the east, but fully mobilizing at the start of the war would have given Germany a better chance.
Agree, but we have to work within the confines of the OP, or the question becomes meaningless.

I think we al agree that Germany would lose WW2.  The question becomes how would they lose, and it is a non-trivial one.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

katmai

Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2009, 09:17:11 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 10, 2009, 08:15:37 PM
Ah the good old gumbler gambit :lol:
Ah, the good ol' "I will attack the questioner instead of answering the question" gambit  :lol:

EPIC  FAIL.

I'm glad you admit to failing, it's character building for you.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on April 10, 2009, 09:27:36 PM
[I'm glad you admit to failing, it's character building for you.
Lame, even by Languish standards.  I feel for ya, though.  You had no choice but to pretend your ass was not chapped.  :hug:

Bayraktar!

katmai

Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2009, 09:31:57 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 10, 2009, 09:27:36 PM
[I'm glad you admit to failing, it's character building for you.
Lame, even by Languish standards.  I feel for ya, though.  You had no choice but to pretend your ass was not chapped.  :hug:

:lol:

Now just feeling sorry for ya. I've already said when I thought there was enough interceptors to field a wing (started in Oct '44 with 40 Interceptors, fully operational in Jan '45), since you insist on changing the question, the only one waiting around looking foolish is you grumbs.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: katmai on April 10, 2009, 09:37:41 PM
Now just feeling sorry for ya. I've already said when I thought there was enough interceptors to field a wing (started in Oct '44 with 40 Interceptors, fully operational in Jan '45), since you insist on changing the question, the only one waiting around looking foolish is you grumbs.
You still haven't said anything relevant to the question.  Even the bomber variants of the Me-262 were effective interceptors.

Wanna try again and state a point that is not a personal attack?

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Introduced a year earlier? Type XXI and Me-262 go right out, the East was lost already. I suppose Panzer V.

Of course, we do not know when a German Bomb would have been available. No realistic estimate would put it at before May 8 1946 though. :nerd:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

dps

Quote from: Neil on April 10, 2009, 08:50:36 PM
Quote from: mongers on April 10, 2009, 08:40:33 PM
(why aren't there more threads along the lines of which Allied weapon if introduced earlier might have significantly shortened/affected the outcome of the war? )
Because that one is easy:  The atom bomb.

Yep, unlike the Axis, the Allies did manage to use a game-changing weapon in the War.

Incidentally, while it is true that if the ME-262 had been introduced earlier and in larger numbers, the Allies could have countered by stepping up their own jet fighter programs, the Meteor wouldn't have been the answer, as some here have stated--its performance was inferior to that of the ME-262.  The P-80, on the other hand, would have kicked ass.

MadBurgerMaker

Other.  A whole shitton of STuG III's (that's a shitton more than the shitton that were actually built), instead of whatever crazy super heavy tanks they were coming up with.  This is not actually my idea....there's some website that talks about how this would have won the war for the Nazis, etcetcetc.  Can't find it atm, but that's okay.  It's not that important.  "Other" obviously needed a vote.

Admiral Yi

Gotta figure Panthers available in decent numbers for Fall Blau would have made a world of difference.

At least they do in every tactical game I've ever played.

Tamas

Other: some German scientist dude not making the calculation mistake and assuming you need a ball of uranium the size of Neil's ego to build a single nucular bomb. Because the only thing that could save Germany was an early atomb bomb to scare off the West.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Viking

Quote from: mongers on April 10, 2009, 08:40:33 PM
Look who else is having this debate:

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47463

:bleeding:

(why aren't there more threads along the lines of which Allied weapon if introduced earlier might have significantly shortened/affected the outcome of the war? )

Centurions and Pershings arriving one year earlier would have made a significant difference. Both were shipped to germany in january 1945. Had they arrived in January 1944 they could have had equipped Armoured divisions in June 1944.

Flower Class Corvettes arriving one year earlier would have made a significant difference.

But to render the entire problem moot, Spitfire I's (and V's and VII's and IX's) arriving one year earlier would have made a significant difference. Same for Grants, Shermans, B-29s, Atom Bombs, Mosquitos etc.etc.

The really interesting question remains, had one of the german superweapons, assuming it worked as advertised, saved germany from losing or significantly shortened the war had it been introduced one year earlier.

From my wargaming experience the answer is clear. The Dornier Pfeil, the Do-335. I advance built all three of them in a World in Flames game and they provided the vital air cover for the Kriegsmarine (by reacting into the 3 box with the fleet) that allowed it to cut supply to the D-Day forces in northern france, allowing Mannstein to blitz the allies face down and out of supply into the shingle on the beaches.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Strix

Quote from: Neil on April 10, 2009, 09:07:41 PM
Fleet carriers were 40 to 11.  However, carriers lack the fleet-enhancing powers of dreadnoughts.

Well, it would have been interesting if Germany had more battleships than it did. The sub question would become moot if Germany had 25+ more Graf Spee ships to raid. Or, if they had something bigger which allowed them parity (or at least the ability sortie without having to sneak) with the Allies navy.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Neil

Quote from: Strix on April 11, 2009, 07:04:22 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 10, 2009, 09:07:41 PM
Fleet carriers were 40 to 11.  However, carriers lack the fleet-enhancing powers of dreadnoughts.

Well, it would have been interesting if Germany had more battleships than it did. The sub question would become moot if Germany had 25+ more Graf Spee ships to raid. Or, if they had something bigger which allowed them parity (or at least the ability sortie without having to sneak) with the Allies navy.
It certainly would have changed the way Britain was able to use their fleet.  The war in the Med would have been radically different.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.