What items of militaria/military antiques do you own?

Started by Caliga, April 10, 2009, 03:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I'm talking about authentic antiques (or at least items you believe to be authentic, not repros):

My list:

FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR:  A French silver epaulette

US CIVIL WAR:  a cannonball fragment my grandfather dug up at Gettysburg, a Confederate minie round from Antietam, my great-great-great-etc. grandfather's Honorable Discharge certificate from the USMC, signed by Jacob Zeilin

WORLD WAR I: a German Mauser bayonet

WORLD WAR II: all of my great uncle's medals, an Arisaka 98 bayonet (my dad has the rifle itself  :( ), about a half dozen original American propaganda posters, about the same number of Japanese signed tank and regimental silk flags, a US Army jungle warfare/Japanese adversary manual, an Iron Cross second class, my grandfather's discharge papers and dog tags, some random guy's full USMC service uniform
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Let's see...

SWEDISH ARMY 1990s: My old badges etc from the Army. A couple of t-shirts.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DisturbedPervert

I have a Selous Scouts pin from the Rhodesian war.

Valmy

I have my Grandfather's medals from World War II.

The certificate for the Congressional Medal of Honor for the brother of my Great-Great Grandfather and the Great-Great Grandfather's sewing kit from the Civil War.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2009, 03:16:19 PMThe certificate for the Congressional Medal of Honor for the brother of my Great-Great Grandfather

Nice. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

WWI: A couple iron crosses (1st & 2nd class) & an ancient-looking Russian M91 mosin nagant rifle that was made in 1914 but had the imperial markings ground off by some Bolshevik shithead.  Also have an Austro-Hungarian straight-pull bolt action Steyr M95 rifle that was manufactured in Budapest.  Also have a Russian M95 Nagant pistol.

WWII: German War Merit Cross, Iron Cross 2nd class, and some miscellaneous insignia.  Also have some Russian stuff-- the Capture of Berlin medal with presentation document is the most interesting.  Russian M44 rifles dated 1944 & 1945, an unissued (refurbed) Russian M91/30 mosin nagant w/ bayonet.  Superb quality Finn M39 rifle dated 1944.  WWII-dated Turkish Mausers I bought for $39 apiece :)  I used to have a Russian SVT-40. 

Also used to have an interesting K98k rifle that was originally produced in 1942, but rebarrelled after the war for 7.62NATO.  What's really interesting about it is the intact WWII German waffenampt markings right next to the IDF coat of arms on the receiver :D

Cold War: A bunch of East German militaria.  Brand spanking new Yugoslavian 59/66 SKS rifle & equally new Yugo M48 mauser (looks like K98).  Really nice quality Polish M44 rifle, as well as M44's from Romania & Hungary.  Czech CZ52 pistol & East German "Pistole M" Makarov.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

I have a US ammo box from WWII.  Other than that, nothing.
and the horse you rode in on

syk

I got my grandpa's medals with papers, his 1st aid kit and his belt. There's no swastika or Gott mit uns on the belt anymore, he scratched that off. The 1st aid kit is a nice leather box that can be worn on a belt, big enough to keep a a purse, camera and ciggies in it when it's too hot to wear clothes with enough pockets to carry all the usual stuff.

Valmy

Quote from: syk on April 10, 2009, 03:45:26 PM
There's no swastika or Gott mit uns on the belt anymore, he scratched that off.

During or after the war?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

syk

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2009, 03:47:39 PM
Quote from: syk on April 10, 2009, 03:45:26 PM
There's no swastika or Gott mit uns on the belt anymore, he scratched that off.

During or after the war?
I never asked, I'd imagine he did that in Sibiria.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2009, 03:55:40 PM:ultra:

What?  It is just the citation I have no idea what happened to the actual medal.

Here he is: http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/752/kephart-james.php

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2009, 03:58:56 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2009, 03:55:40 PM:ultra:

What?  It is just the commendation I have no idea what happened to the actual medal.
There is no "Congressional" Medal of Honor.  There is a military Medal of Honor, and a naval Medal of Honor, but none for Congressmen.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

syk

Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2009, 04:11:49 PM
Quote from: syk on April 10, 2009, 03:50:29 PM
I never asked, I'd imagine he did that in Sibiria.

How long was he in Siberia?
He was captured during the fall of Königsberg and released in May 1948.