What items of militaria/military antiques do you own?

Started by Caliga, April 10, 2009, 03:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tamas on April 11, 2009, 10:31:39 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2009, 05:10:27 PM
I own a Walther P-38 from WW2, complete with the Reich's QA markings. 
Did some research on the armament markings, the slide and barrel were constructed at Spandau in '43 or '44, and the grip and magazine where constructed at a labor camp in Czechslovakia.  Not at home right now, so I don't have the precise info in front of me.

lol dude you have a pistol made by captured jews?

Pretty much, yeah.

Caliga

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 11, 2009, 03:11:04 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 10, 2009, 03:03:29 PM
FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR:  A French silver epaulette

I am a bit skeptical of this one. IIRC, épaulettes were slowly introduced in the French Armée de Terre from 1759: Armée de Terre troops in N. America at the time would have had their old uniforms - if any. Troupes de la Marine who served in the colonies didn't have épaulettes.

For my part, I own a WWI trench clock.

Well, I 'inherited' this from my dad, who got it from a restaurant safe--his company bought the restaurant to turn it into an Olive Garden and the owner sold them everything, including all contents.  He and a partner found all this military shit in the safe and the guy told them he didn't want it.  That's also where I got the Japanese flags from.  The label on it said "F & I War, French".  I suppose it could be British.  There's a little picture of a crown stamped onto the silver.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Oexmelin

Well, it could be French - just not from the French and Indian War. Do you have a picture ? 
Que le grand cric me croque !

Caliga

Quote from: Oexmelin on April 14, 2009, 02:00:04 PM
Well, it could be French - just not from the French and Indian War. Do you have a picture ?

No, and in fact it's currently at my parents' house in Pennsylvania.  As soon as I can get my hands on it I'll take a pic and post it.

C.C.R.

Used to have a fallschirmjäger helmet back in the day, but I sold it for beer & cigarette money...

jimmy olsen

Quote from: C.C.R. on April 14, 2009, 04:21:30 PM
Used to have a fallschirmjäger helmet back in the day, but I sold it for beer & cigarette money...
:o That makes me sad.  :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

ulmont

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2009, 08:09:48 PM
:o That makes me sad.  :(

But why?  Think of the lucky guy who got a fallschirmjäger helmet for a pittance!

Caliga

You better be lying. *shakes fist*  :mad:

vinraith

The only things I have that would qualify are my grandfather's WW2 stuff, specifically his service dagger, pocket knife (blasted to hell by a german round), and prayer book (with the bullet hole straight through to the back cover, where it stopped). Incidentally, the knife and prayer book were in his left breast pocket at the time...

derspiess

Quote from: Tamas on April 11, 2009, 10:29:04 AM
Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2009, 03:29:00 PM
Also have an Austro-Hungarian straight-pull bolt action Steyr M95 rifle that was manufactured in Budapest. 

:mmm:

Those are a dime a dozen on the collector's market here (or at least they were going for about $80 apiece when I bought mine).  Interesting thing is the only ammo I could find for it (7.92x56R) is Third Reich era production, and wasn't horribly expensive when I bought it.  I loved shooting that ammo at the range & watching people's reaction when they saw the brass :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: vinraith on April 14, 2009, 09:06:01 PM
The only things I have that would qualify are my grandfather's WW2 stuff, specifically his service dagger, pocket knife (blasted to hell by a german round), and prayer book (with the bullet hole straight through to the back cover, where it stopped). Incidentally, the knife and prayer book were in his left breast pocket at the time...

I guess that this proves that Christianity can contribute to evolutionary fitness  :cool:

Josquius

I used to have a WW2 US army tent. Used to joke it was haunted as one side was stained redish (likely not blood though).
Then some mice got to it apparently and my parents chucked it out :(
██████
██████
██████

Ape

Quote from: syk on April 10, 2009, 04:28:39 PM

From what he told me the worst bit was the 1st march to the east where he got beaten up badly for not getting his pants back up quick enough. The rest apparently wasn't pleasant but at least he had it a tad easier as he was the only guy there able to properly whet scythes. Other than that he only told me he was able to keep his wedding ring and photos of his wife and his brother in a false bottom cigarette box. The picture of my granduncle could have got him in severe trouble as he was sporting his Leibstandarte uniform on that.
Out of pure curiosity, what unit was he with?

syk

Quote from: Ape on April 15, 2009, 07:07:02 AM
Quote from: syk on April 10, 2009, 04:28:39 PM

From what he told me the worst bit was the 1st march to the east where he got beaten up badly for not getting his pants back up quick enough. The rest apparently wasn't pleasant but at least he had it a tad easier as he was the only guy there able to properly whet scythes. Other than that he only told me he was able to keep his wedding ring and photos of his wife and his brother in a false bottom cigarette box. The picture of my granduncle could have got him in severe trouble as he was sporting his Leibstandarte uniform on that.
Out of pure curiosity, what unit was he with?
14. Kompanie of Grenadier Regiment 12. After restructuring it was the "Sturmkompanie" of the 12th Grenadier Regiment. 31. Infanterie-Division (later 31. Volksgrenadier-Division).