What items of militaria/military antiques do you own?

Started by Caliga, April 10, 2009, 03:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: syk on April 10, 2009, 04:15:52 PM
He was captured during the fall of Königsberg and released in May 1948.

Must have been brutal.  At least he wasn't captured earlier in the war.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

syk

Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2009, 04:19:30 PM
Quote from: syk on April 10, 2009, 04:15:52 PM
He was captured during the fall of Königsberg and released in May 1948.

Must have been brutal.  At least he wasn't captured earlier in the war.
From what he told me the worst bit was the 1st march to the east where he got beaten up badly for not getting his pants back up quick enough. The rest apparently wasn't pleasant but at least he had it a tad easier as he was the only guy there able to properly whet scythes. Other than that he only told me he was able to keep his wedding ring and photos of his wife and his brother in a false bottom cigarette box. The picture of my granduncle could have got him in severe trouble as he was sporting his Leibstandarte uniform on that.

Ed Anger

Luftwaffe Dagger taken off a dead officer. 70 Reich marks. No, I will not take a picture of it.

Supposedly somebody in the family had the wallet with the dude's I.D. and other documents. But, I never cared since I'm not returning the dagger to his family. Fucking kraut.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

A sword, one table and a large rock; all heavily used.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Nothing that I own, but I once held in my hands an old-as-fuck Russian bolt-action rifle that we confiscated off some insurgents in Iraq.  :cool:

Also, this may not count, but I have a small golden necklace with a cross that an Iraqi Army soldier gave to me in solidarity. I intend to make it a family heirloom, or bury it with me, or something cool like that.

I wonder if that dude is still alive...  :(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

I own a Walther P-38 from WW2, complete with the Reich's QA markings. 
Did some research on the armament markings, the slide and barrel were constructed at Spandau in '43 or '44, and the grip and magazine where constructed at a labor camp in Czechslovakia.  Not at home right now, so I don't have the precise info in front of me.

My grandfather bought it off a German sailor he knew from his merchant marine days in Baltimore in 1947, gave it to my Dad as a wedding present in 1968, and Dad gave it to me about 10 years ago.  Excellent action, in excellent condition.

I also have a surplus Soviet Navy cap.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

syk

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 10, 2009, 04:40:29 PM
Luftwaffe Dagger taken off a dead officer. 70 Reich marks. No, I will not take a picture of it.

Supposedly somebody in the family had the wallet with the dude's I.D. and other documents. But, I never cared since I'm not returning the dagger to his family. Fucking kraut.
If the name is Bredtmeyer, I'll buy it off you.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2009, 03:29:00 PMBrand spanking new Yugoslavian 59/66 SKS rifle

Brand new?  That's pretty cool.  My Yugo SKS came at least somewhat used and with various markings carved into it by some soldier or another in addition to the numbers stamped on/burned into all the parts.

Jos Theelen

Tamas

Quote from: derspiess on April 10, 2009, 03:29:00 PM
Also have an Austro-Hungarian straight-pull bolt action Steyr M95 rifle that was manufactured in Budapest. 

:mmm:

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 10, 2009, 05:10:27 PM
I own a Walther P-38 from WW2, complete with the Reich's QA markings. 
Did some research on the armament markings, the slide and barrel were constructed at Spandau in '43 or '44, and the grip and magazine where constructed at a labor camp in Czechslovakia.  Not at home right now, so I don't have the precise info in front of me.

lol dude you have a pistol made by captured jews?

Lettow77

I have a button taken from a colonel in the 9th TX cavalry regiment, passed down to one of my ancestors when the regiment surrendered, some confederate currency, a few minie balls, and a U.S beltbuckle a predecessor of mine wore. (He fought for the confederacy, naturally- U.S was turned upside down to do service as 'Southern Nation in a pinch.)
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Oexmelin

Quote from: Caliga on April 10, 2009, 03:03:29 PM
FRENCH AND INDIAN WAR:  A French silver epaulette

I am a bit skeptical of this one. IIRC, épaulettes were slowly introduced in the French Armée de Terre from 1759: Armée de Terre troops in N. America at the time would have had their old uniforms - if any. Troupes de la Marine who served in the colonies didn't have épaulettes.

For my part, I own a WWI trench clock.
Que le grand cric me croque !