Main Menu

Everyday Adventures

Started by The Brain, April 18, 2010, 03:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Plenty of time to polish the helmet.

Not a euphemism.

The Brain

On the way home from tonight's revelries I was propositioned by a prostitute. This is unusual for me. Of course I declined her services.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

During a work meeting today, there was suddenly the Soviet Russian notional anthem (yes, it's "national", but after noticing the typo I decided to leave it :P ) heard from outside, followed by the Austrian one.

Our office is near the Red Army memorial, and apparently Russian foreign minister Lavrov was in town and laid down a wreath there.

The music made our meeting slightly more somber and festive while we consumed sushi, rolls, and gyoza. -_-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

I still go WTF when I hear the Soviet anthem as a Russian anthem.  I know it's been 20 years since it was re-adopted, but it's still jarring, especially since I can't help but think of the Soviet lyrics that accompany it.

Syt

Yeah, it's a bit weird. To be fair, the old anthem is pretty good, as a piece of music. Compare with the lullaby that is the Austrian one:

https://youtu.be/BSJjNJYbhxc

(All the more distressing considering the number of great Austrian composers.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 25, 2021, 09:15:56 AM
the Austrian one:

Gott erhalte, Gott beschütze
Unsern Kaiser, unser Land!
Mächtig durch des Glaubens Stütze,
Führ' er uns mit weiser Hand!
Laßt uns seiner Väter Krone
Schirmen wider jeden Feind!

Innig bleibt mit Habsburgs Throne
Österreichs Geschick vereint!

Innig bleibt mit Habsburgs Throne
Österreichs Geschick vereint!

I don't know it is pretty catchy. Oh wait that is not the official anthem anymore?

Quotehttps://youtu.be/BSJjNJYbhxc

Huh. Well that doesn't make me want to die fighting Napoleon at all.

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

I've been seeing a lot of wildlife in my yard and in the neighborhood. Foxes, coyotes (a big one late at night nearly the size of a German Shepard), deer, hawks, lots of squirrels and rabbits. Though the number of rabbits seems to have dropped a bit - maybe the foxes and coyotes are taking a toll. I had to spray animal repellent around my Hosta plants as the rabbits were feasting on them. That has saved the plants.

Kind of surprising to see so many critters around as my town is pretty well built up. But then too, there are still areas of woods nearby, and about a half mile from me is a small river with woods along it. So the critters do have places to hide or hang out when not cruising among homes and businesses.  :) 

viper37

Yeah, it's a bit weird. To be fair, the old anthem is pretty good, as a piece of music. Compare with the lullaby that is the Austrian one:

Could be worst:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEIJrW_auCE
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Yeah - in football tournament's Russia's (old/new) anthem is top 5. It's also particularly good for a stadium to belt out.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

I needed the password reset so I am able to access all of our electronic files at work.  The usual person in our office who I ask IT-type questions is not around, so I just called the main GOA (Government of Alberta) help desk.  The guy spent 15 minutes with me on the phone, had no idea what to do.  At one point he was going to pass me off to the AHS (Alberta Health Services) help desk - I quickly protested that I'm not with Health.  He eventually just opened a ticket and said someone would call me back.

After lunch, and still unable to access my files, I went to the 'usual person's' office.  She had a sign giving a number for the JSG (Justice and Solicitor General) help desk.  I called them and they reset my password within two minutes.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Did you celebrate with coffee/tea? :)

Threviel

We took the camper to a small lake in the neighbourhood to fish, my boy has recently found a fishing interest. We spent Saturday evening and Sunday morning fishing which.

Now, I'm the son of a fisherman brought up in a fishing village by the sea, so sweet water fishing with rods is quite new to me, this trip was the family's first real attempt at fishing.

Late Saturday, after putting the kids to sleep I caught some tiny fish, too small to see what it was. And in the morning my boy woke up and ran out and started fishing. No luck.

After a while my 4-year old daughter started to be an annoyance so me and her walked a bit to the side and threw some throws together. I'm theowing and she's reeling and often we catch the bottom. Until one time we don't. It feels like the bottom and I'm hingry and tired so I lightly berate her for reeling too slow. But suddenly there's a splash, it's a fish. And a big one. The whole family gathers as we haul in a pike weighing 3 kg. Big one and the first real fish we've ever caught.

I made some fish burgers out of it and damn, it was delicious.

The Brain

Josquius

Fish burgers?
I've never heard of this being a thing let alone making it from scratch. Fascinating.
██████
██████
██████

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on August 26, 2011, 09:38:30 AM
The two young chicks manning my local Thai today would make the Languish yellow fever population mastrubtate fuirolsy.

Update?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?