British Undeservedly Snotty about American Cuisine

Started by Queequeg, April 18, 2010, 02:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2010, 01:34:48 PM
How does your $200 smoker work Cal?

I tried 'smoking' something over indirect heat on my propane grill, but while it cooked, it really didn't taste smoked.
There are planks you can cook on that apparently work pretty well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

...or, there's that.  Never tried the plank thing myself.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2010, 03:14:43 PM

I tried 'smoking' something over indirect heat on my propane grill, but while it cooked, it really didn't taste smoked.
You need to be burning wood to get the smoked flavor brah.

I've done burgers, chicken, brats, and ribs with the smoker.  They all came out nice and smoky... too smoky in the case of the ribs, given that I used juniper wood to smoke them (by mistake), which made them taste like gasoline. :(

I was using wood chips. :rolleyes:

I read somewhere that water vapour from the combustion of propane interferes with absorbing the smoke.  But what do I know.

Yeah, I wouldn't have thought juniper smoke wood taste very good...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

katmai

Been my friend uses a propane smoker just fine. Smoked halibut and smoked pork chops are what he makes most often.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on April 20, 2010, 03:36:03 PM
Been my friend uses a propane smoker just fine. Smoked halibut and smoked pork chops are what he makes most often.

But he has a specific propane smoker?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2010, 03:14:43 PM

You need to be burning wood to get the smoked flavor brah.

I've done burgers, chicken, brats, and ribs with the smoker.  They all came out nice and smoky... too smoky in the case of the ribs, given that I used juniper wood to smoke them (by mistake), which made them taste like gasoline. :(

Most conifers have nasty resin in 'em - cooking over them is not recommended, as they gum up your pots (and your food, if you grill directly over them).

If you can, use hardwoods.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

katmai

Quote from: Barrister on April 20, 2010, 03:40:05 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 20, 2010, 03:36:03 PM

But he has a specific propane smoker?
Aye he does.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2010, 03:04:15 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 20, 2010, 11:22:11 AM
It is like the "champagne" issue; those who drink California sparkling wine and call it "Champagne" are not wrong, but they should also not confuse what they are drinking with the product of the Champagne region.

Supporting France? Supporting California? Which will I choose? :hmm:

A significant portion of California sparkling wine production is controlled and distributed by the big Champagne marques: Moet (Chandon), Roederer (Roederer Estate), Mumm (Mumm Napa), Taittinger (Carneros).

So either way you will be supporting both.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on April 20, 2010, 04:24:40 PM
Most conifers have nasty resin in 'em - cooking over them is not recommended, as they gum up your pots (and your food, if you grill directly over them).

Yeah, I know, like I said it was accidental.  I had a pile of hickory wood Princesca's uncle gave me from when they cleared the woods to build their cabin.  But for some reason my brain mixed that pile up with the pile of mostly juniper wood which came from trees on my property.

Now I use hickory chunks I bought at Lowe's, just to be sure, even though I could easily get more cheap hickory around here.

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2010, 07:05:20 AM
:huh: Los Angeles?

I know you didn't say it--some food critic did--but it seems like it would go NYC-LA-Chicago to me.

Having never been to LA, I don't have an answer for you. However, I've never heard of LA as being a hot-bed of international cuisine outside of Asian- and Mexican-style foods. Maybe that's my ignorant Iowan roots showing, I don't know.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

I'm just guessing here too, Meri (having never been to LA myself).

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: Caliga on April 20, 2010, 05:14:07 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 20, 2010, 04:24:40 PM

Yeah, I know, like I said it was accidental.  I had a pile of hickory wood Princesca's uncle gave me from when they cleared the woods to build their cabin.  But for some reason my brain mixed that pile up with the pile of mostly juniper wood which came from trees on my property.

Now I use hickory chunks I bought at Lowe's, just to be sure, even though I could easily get more cheap hickory around here.

I was going to ask if when you said "by mistake" you meant that you thought it was some other kind of wood, or if you meant that you though juniper would be good to smoke food over.  The former I can see happening, but the latter is in "WTF were you thinking" territory.

Caliga

Yes, I know that conifers are generally bad for smoking.  I usually use applewood, hickory, and mesquite (though Princesca dislikes mesquite, so the latter is very rare now).