British Undeservedly Snotty about American Cuisine

Started by Queequeg, April 18, 2010, 02:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2010, 05:43:42 PM
I would argue that Chicago is known for offering a wide diversity of foods from around the world. The little neighborhoods offer amazing food as they've come from their homelands, since the restaurants are geared for the immigrants. If one avoids the kitschy tourist restaurants or the mass-market restaurants, one can find a vast array of amazing international cuisine made by immigrants for immigrants.

All of this being said, I think that with the superfluous amounts of mass-market restaurants around the world, there is quickly coming a homogeneous style of preparing food no matter where you are. Sure, McDonald's in Hong Kong is different from the MickyDs in Chicago in many ways, but the essence is still pretty much the same. If I really wanted to, I could travel the world over twice and never stray from that which I've known my entire life.

And so far as I'm concerned, having the top cuisine from any country will probably be magnificent. It's the day-to-day fare that is what is questioned, I think, and that will be what people are most likely to defend. Who wants to be told that they have no taste?

Meri, I didn't get across what I was trying to say well. Chicago has fantastic places to eat, and fantastic food, but I don't think there have been many foods born in Chicago that I'd be proud of as far as cuisine goes. Chicago is still one of the best places to eat in the world.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

When I eat locally I eat thai, sushi, chinese, italian, middle eastern, and mexican regularly. Those options are out there even in small towns now. In 50 years local tastes may be homogenized away.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

I'm hungry now.

How different is Chinese cuisine from Hong Kong to Urumqi?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Don't they mix yak blood and butter in with their tea in that part of China as well? :x
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Gups

Quote from: Iormlund on April 18, 2010, 06:12:29 PM
Well I didn't meant to imply that. Just to point out that the view you can get from the outside is quite flat and distorted. Many foreigners only see sevillanas, flamenco, paella and sangrĂ­a. Those are actually fairly localized phenomena (from southern coastal areas). Personally I prefer the north, due to lower tourist density, milder climate and mountains. Food is excellent no matter where you go - though Larchie has a point and you should eat where the locals do.

I dunno. From my experience, food in the Basque country and Cantabria is superb the best I've had anywhere. Catalan food is very good too.  Andalucian cuisine is much more hit and miss.

MadImmortalMan

Chicago is one of the best places to eat in the world. Anyway, I don't think I can come up with anything that is so pervasive in the whole country that I can put my finger on it as "American" food. Even hamburgers are more a world-food than an American one. Invented by Germans and popularized by immigrants, IIRC. Hot dogs too. The only thing that came from the US are the names.

All our food is either regional or foreign. There is no US-cuisine.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on April 18, 2010, 05:43:42 PM
I would argue that Chicago is known for offering a wide diversity of foods from around the world. The little neighborhoods offer amazing food as they've come from their homelands, since the restaurants are geared for the immigrants. If one avoids the kitschy tourist restaurants or the mass-market restaurants, one can find a vast array of amazing international cuisine made by immigrants for immigrants.

I'm not sure that is really a unique feature of Chicago...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Yeah.  It's certainly true in Boston as well.  You all will laugh, but it's even true to a certain extent here.  We have a large Cuban exile community, which means we have a number of outstanding Cuban restaurants.  We also have a relatively large Indian community, so the Indian food scene is great as well.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2010, 04:55:39 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 18, 2010, 04:11:05 PM
Really?  I am astonished.  Is the area where you find this to be true (I assume your own home area) closely associated with Oz, somehow?  That's the only explanation for such an unusual concept that I can think of.  Barbecue has been a style of cooking in the Americas (and known by that name) since long before Australia was even discovered.
I think he's right for the UK in general.  'Throw another shrimp on the barbie...' and so on.
Yeah, BBQs big rise back in the 80s/early 90s was as part of the Austraphilia going around at the time.

I think its more than just Britain too, many foreigners too seem to assosiate Australia with bbq.

And..I doubt Australia copied the US. BBQ is a fairly logical, basic way of cooking. When you're in a country with nice hot weather and plenty of meat...then its a given you'll want to BBQ and it'll become part of your culture.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on April 20, 2010, 06:09:15 AM
Yeah, BBQs big rise back in the 80s/early 90s was as part of the Austraphilia going around at the time.

I think its more than just Britain too, many foreigners too seem to assosiate Australia with bbq.

And..I doubt Australia copied the US. BBQ is a fairly logical, basic way of cooking. When you're in a country with nice hot weather and plenty of meat...then its a given you'll want to BBQ and it'll become part of your culture.
Given that Australian "barbecue" is nothing of the sort (just what Americans generally call "grilling"), you are almost certainly correct that the Australians simply took the name and applied it to a very un-original way of cooking.  In a way, that's a pity, because actual barbecue is wonderful stuff (though it takes forever to make), while grilling is very ordinary. Anyone thinking they are eating barbecue because the Australians convinced them that grilling is barbecue is losing out on the real thing.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on April 19, 2010, 11:07:58 PM

I'm not sure that is really a unique feature of Chicago...

I don't consider it unique. It's just what Chicago is most known for on the food front. At the same time, I think I remember a food critic article that claimed that only New York City has as many different cuisine styles as Chicago.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Quote from: merithyn on April 20, 2010, 06:21:12 AM
I don't consider it unique. It's just what Chicago is most known for on the food front. At the same time, I think I remember a food critic article that claimed that only New York City has as many different cuisine styles as Chicago.
:huh: Los Angeles?

I know you didn't say it--some food critic did--but it seems like it would go NYC-LA-Chicago to me.

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on April 20, 2010, 06:15:08 AM
Given that Australian "barbecue" is nothing of the sort (just what Americans generally call "grilling"), you are almost certainly correct that the Australians simply took the name and applied it to a very un-original way of cooking.  In a way, that's a pity, because actual barbecue is wonderful stuff (though it takes forever to make), while grilling is very ordinary. Anyone thinking they are eating barbecue because the Australians convinced them that grilling is barbecue is losing out on the real thing.

hmm, my Finnish flatmate always refers to BBQing as grilling.I thought this was just him getting confused and not a actual British/American English difference.
██████
██████
██████