British Undeservedly Snotty about American Cuisine

Started by Queequeg, April 18, 2010, 02:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on April 18, 2010, 02:50:29 AM

Fuck Britain.  Simon Schama shouldn't have to apologize for America's culinary culture.  We are fucking China rolled in India served in France compared to Britain's array of boiled-beef pies filled with vegetables whose texture would not be different if the cook had let them stew in his own stomach for a few hours before vomiting them into the the tasteless, fatty crust.

You don't disappoint. :lol:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: Queequeg on April 18, 2010, 04:36:37 AM
Isn't British food kind of the original terrible fast food? Stuff like Meat Pies and Soda Bread came out of the Industrial Revolution, when meat was increasing in quantity, dramatically decreasing in quality and rapid urbanization and the industrialization of agriculture resulted in really rapid change of the cuisine, damaging it in ways it never really recovered from.
Don't forget fish and chips (originally brought by Jewish immigrants).

American food isn't bad, neither is British, you just have to pay for it.  Though you can pay very little if you want a dirty fry up, which is a joy.  Whereas American food, in my limited experience, can be good at any price range.

Also quality of meat and ingredients don't necessarily matter, especially not for tradition peasant/earthy food.  The great stews, for example, come from cheap cuts of meat because they're peasant food, most Chinese food is also focused on pretty cheap cuts.
Let's bomb Russia!

Iormlund

CountDeMoney

Sheilbh

Quote from: Iormlund on April 18, 2010, 06:16:32 AM
Ah, culinary cripple fight.
:lol:  Fair.  Still it's not as bad as (from my experience) Eastern European food.
Let's bomb Russia!

Monoriu

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2010, 06:32:22 AM
:lol:  Fair.  Still it's not as bad as (from my experience) Eastern European food.
I find that to be quite surprisingly good. If a bit too....porky. In a sort of cheapish way.
Slovakian is awesome. Czechoslovakian dumplings and goulash is one of the best things ever.
██████
██████
██████

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Monoriu on April 18, 2010, 06:35:10 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2010, 06:12:27 AM
most Chinese food is also focused on pretty cheap cuts.

I vehemently disagree :contract:

There is no better cut than chicken feet

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on April 18, 2010, 04:37:04 AM
Slightly related note: Do Europeans make pies? When I was in Germany, I couldn't for the life of me find a pie crust, or frozen fruit pie. Is it just a German thing, or pan-European thing?
Koreans also don't seem to make pies, either. Maybe its exclusively American.

By this I'm assuming you mean fruit pies?

We do have them here in the UK, but I would estimate that about 95% of the fruit pies I've ever eaten have been home made. Most common would be apple pie, but blackberry and rhubarb pies are also common. Of course a lot of people have virtually zero cooking skills nowadays; their pie situation must be fraught indeed.

The Larch

Sheilbh

Maybe it's a national price difference (and my personal taste), I associate Chinese food with feet, kidneys, belly pork.  All of which, in the UK, are very cheap cuts.  Similarly, in my experience, the beef is frying steak which is the cheapest cut of beef.
Let's bomb Russia!

Warspite

British food, if done properly, is great.

Of course, visitors to the country in Central London who have no idea where they're going are going to find the tourist holes where everything is stodgy and bland. What they are not going to find are the side-street gems or the clusters of outstanding, experimental and reasonably priced eateries in the outer areas.

I am fine with this: it keeps the hordes of overweight yanks in their bursting chinos and tucked in polo shirts out of the restaurants I go to.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Monoriu

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 18, 2010, 07:00:02 AM
Maybe it's a national price difference (and my personal taste), I associate Chinese food with feet, kidneys, belly pork.  All of which, in the UK, are very cheap cuts.  Similarly, in my experience, the beef is frying steak which is the cheapest cut of beef.

Try: Cantonese BBQ pork, Peking Duck, whole chicken dishes, steamed whole fish :mmm:

Josquius

I think with Chinese food is its not so much they go just for the cheap cuts but they make the best of everything they get.
There is of course rich meaty Chinese food (especially in China :P) but generally it seems to be about stretching out a small amount of crappy meat and making it appear to be more. Which they're rather good at.
Though I must say I've gone off Chinese quite a bit in recent years.
██████
██████
██████

Queequeg

We are a really diverse place, and I'd say that our Cajun tradition has some of the greatest dishes native to the Americas.   :)
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."