News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Fucking fuck traveling for work fuck

Started by CountDeMoney, April 15, 2010, 05:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on April 16, 2010, 11:18:07 AM
Hospitality is a big thing there, and while it's not necessarily about you but about face and local status, you still get to benefit.  Whatever other problems China has, visiting there as a guest of anyone who is remotely anybody is, in fact, awesome even if you're not particularly important.  I imagine it might be even nice if you are some sort of big shot, but even as a fairly average foreigner you get taken care of really well.

You know what else is big there? Industrial espionage.  Leave your Crackberries and laptops at home.  Your shit will be scanned and USB'd before you've had time to check out the hotel bar.

Monoriu

I've been dragged to Wellington, NZ, Kuala Lumpar, Perth, Australia, and Beijing. 

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 17, 2010, 06:42:46 AMYou know what else is big there? Industrial espionage.  Leave your Crackberries and laptops at home.  Your shit will be scanned and USB'd before you've had time to check out the hotel bar.

Heh.  Very possibly.  But that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the 1.5 hour massage in your hotel room, paid by your host :)

Eochaid

I've been living in Dublin for 3 years and I hate this place. The one and only reason I ever moved was work

Kevin
It's been a while

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Eochaid on April 18, 2010, 08:28:13 AM
I've been living in Dublin for 3 years and I hate this place.

Tell us why you hate it.  I mean, I know you've got Frenchy in you, so you'd hate anyplace that isn't French, but please expound on Dublin.

Eochaid

It expensive as hell (use to be 3rd most expensive city in the world to live in, now down to 7), ugly as fuck, shitty weather, provincial, boring, swamped by stag nights every weekend... oh and the half Dublin's population seems to be afflicted at the same time by delusions of grandeur and an inferiority complex (always compating themselves to the UK)

Kevin

PS: also, massive chav city...
It's been a while

Iormlund

There was talk about sending one of us to Iran last year, but nobody wanted to, so nobody did. Someone will have to go to Morocco and southern Italy this year, but that won't be that much of a problem.

Ed Anger

I've been to:

London (crap)
Paris (nice)
Milan (okay)
Copenhagen (BORING)
Dublin (meh)
I don't count the canadian cities, as it is America lite. Except Windsor, which reminded me of Back to the Future II, the part about the town run by Biff.

My American list is longer and full of profanity aimed at Chicago.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eochaid

It's been a while

Ed Anger

Quote from: Eochaid on April 18, 2010, 03:14:23 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 18, 2010, 02:20:37 PMLondon (crap)

Care to elaborate?

Kevin

The place felt dirty and the people were surly. Made quite a negative first impression to me. A bunch of fat, poorly dressed goobers. Plus I got the feeling that if they had the chance, I'd have a knife in my back if I didn't stay fully alert. I think my suit attracted the scum of England.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 18, 2010, 03:22:41 PM
The place felt dirty and the people were surly. Made quite a negative first impression to me. A bunch of fat, poorly dressed goobers. Plus I got the feeling that if they had the chance, I'd have a knife in my back if I didn't stay fully alert. I think my suit attracted the scum of England.

Try wearing a suit in downtown Cincy.  Every 5 seconds some bum will ask you for money. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on April 20, 2010, 03:37:18 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 18, 2010, 03:22:41 PM

Try wearing a suit in downtown Cincy.  Every 5 seconds some bum will ask you for money.

I avoid that shithole too. One day, I'm going to go nuts on I-75.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on April 20, 2010, 03:37:18 PM
Every 5 seconds some bum will ask you for money. 

In San Francisco, that happens no matter what you are wearing. You learn to tune them out. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 20, 2010, 03:43:47 PM
In San Francisco, that happens no matter what you are wearing. You learn to tune them out. :)

Now that I get to wear jeans to work, I never get hassled.  My "leave me the f*ck alone" scowl tends to help with that as well, I guess.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall