And we're back!

Main Menu

Fucking fuck traveling for work fuck

Started by CountDeMoney, April 15, 2010, 05:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2010, 08:06:08 AM
Caliga, you are on drugs.

I lived in Tucson and Phoenix for a long time. 110 degrees is fucking HOT, and I don't give a shit how "dry" it is. It is fucking hot. Insanely hot. Don't go outside hot, and certainly don't get into a car hot.
:huh:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  Probably massive and arterial for me given my gluttony, but I digress.  :(

Anyway, maybe somehow Arizona is different than New Mexico.... dunno.  But it didn't really bother me and I remember being shocked to see the thermometer given how it felt outside to me.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Alcibiades

What's the big deal seedy?  You aren't 60 yet so you shouldn't die of heat stroke.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

sbr

I lived in Tucson and Phoenix for a long time. 110 degrees is fucking HOT, and I don't give a shit how "dry" it is. It is fucking hot. Insanely hot. Don't go outside hot, and certainly don't get into a car hot.

And yeah, it cools right off into the 90s at night in July.

I lived in Phoenix for a few years too.  One day it was 122.  The airport had to close because of the heat.

The good thing is that 120 feels exactly the same as 110.

Maximus

Quote from: Caliga on April 15, 2010, 09:19:57 AM:huh:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.  Probably massive and arterial for me given my gluttony, but I digress.  :(

Anyway, maybe somehow Arizona is different than New Mexico.... dunno.  But it didn't really bother me and I remember being shocked to see the thermometer given how it felt outside to me.
I think altitude may play a part. IIRC Phoenix is quite a bit lower than most of Arizona and New Mexico. CBA to look it up though.

MadImmortalMan

What's the difference? You can't go outside in Baltimore either without wearing a snorkel in the summer.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

You guys who lived in Arizona obviously know better than me--I was merely offering my own ancedotal experience.... and Max is probably right about altitude playing a role.

I can certainly report that Houston and New Orleans are often intolerable in the summer. :bleeding:

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 15, 2010, 05:36:17 AM
I have to fly to Phoenix in June.  Fucking fuck.

"But it's a dry heat, man."  Well, so's your fucking oven.  Fucking Arizona in summer.

Anybody else have to go someplace they don't want to go for work?

Yeah, but I generally don't blubber about it online.

Our traditional client base has been located in secondary (or worse) markets, but we're getting more in larger cities, Florida, and the Pacific northwest.  So my trips tend to alternate between places I like & places I hate.

So for every crappy little rust belt or Appalachian town I have to travel to, there is a trip to Fort Lauderdale, Sarasota, Miami, Seattle, or Grants Pass (Oregon).

I haven't been to Arizona (save for a quick jump across the state line) but I visited New Mexico 3 times back in 1997 and loved it.  No humidity and a cool arid landscape I had never seen before.  No desire to live there, but a nice place to visit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Syt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 15, 2010, 10:49:52 AM
What's the difference? You can't go outside in Baltimore either without wearing a snorkel in the summer.  :P

I bet you also really sweat a lot under those bullet proof wests.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

I'll take every single time and place mentined on this thread over travelling to Ross River, Yukon in January.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

Quote from: derspiess on April 15, 2010, 11:01:26 AM
So for every crappy little rust belt or Appalachian town I have to travel to, there is a trip to Fort Lauderdale, Sarasota, Miami, Seattle, or Grants Pass (Oregon).
We're acquiring more operations in 'cool' places, too, like the ones I mentioned in Honolulu and Puerto Rico.  We also just bought a huge operation in Seattle and I was hoping I'd be asked to go out there, but they didn't need me.

In fact, there's a discovery visit taking place right now at an operation in Nags Head, NC.  :cool:

ulmont

Quote from: Caliga on April 15, 2010, 10:52:53 AMI can certainly report that Houston and New Orleans are often intolerable in the summer. :bleeding:

New Orleans is fine in the summer, unless you're some kind of pansy.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on April 15, 2010, 10:52:53 AM
You guys who lived in Arizona obviously know better than me--I was merely offering my own ancedotal experience.... and Max is probably right about altitude playing a role.

I can certainly report that Houston and New Orleans are often intolerable in the summer. :bleeding:

Flagstaff is one of the nicest places to be in the summer because it's on top of a mountain covered in nice big pine trees. The climate is very comfortable there.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

Quote from: sbr on April 15, 2010, 10:46:27 AM

And yeah, it cools right off into the 90s at night in July.

I lived in Phoenix for a few years too.  One day it was 122.  The airport had to close because of the heat.

The good thing is that 120 feels exactly the same as 110.

That is true - once you crack 110, it really makes no difference anymore. It is so searingly hot that it doesn't really matter anymore.

Summers in Phoenix are like winters in upstate New York - it isn't just the extreme of the weather, it is the seemingly never ending consistency of it. Once it breaks 100, it is going to be over 100 every single day for months.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 15, 2010, 11:19:54 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 15, 2010, 10:52:53 AM

Flagstaff is one of the nicest places to be in the summer because it's on top of a mountain covered in nice big pine trees. The climate is very comfortable there.

Lived there for a few years as well.

Flagstaff is very nice, climate wise. It gets pretty damn hot at times (into the 90s) but it isn't that every day, inescapable heat that you get in Phoenix. It will get hot, then cool down, then get hot again, etc., etc. Flagstaff in general is pretty nice all year though.

Kind of a shitty little town though, as far as the city itself.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.