Main Menu

Fucking fuck traveling for work fuck

Started by CountDeMoney, April 15, 2010, 05:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2010, 11:49:49 AM
Do you prefer Upstate NY, Berkut?

That is an excellent question.

Right now, I miss Arizona, but I suspect that is because I just came out of another upstate NY winter. I remember how much I wanted to get out of the desert when I graduated though - I didn't even consider staying in Arizona.

So I don't really know.

I do know that I miss Colorado though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

It's hot outside in Louisville today.  :cool:

We had a 'bad' winter by Kentucky standards, in that we got 16 inches of snow. :o

Fortunately, the winter ended by the first week of March and it's summer now.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2010, 12:01:29 PM

Right now, I miss Arizona, but I suspect that is because I just came out of another upstate NY winter.

You have to admit, for the kids, those winters rock. I remember snow deeper than I was tall on many occasions back in Brockport.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 15, 2010, 12:27:32 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 15, 2010, 12:01:29 PM

Right now, I miss Arizona, but I suspect that is because I just came out of another upstate NY winter.

You have to admit, for the kids, those winters rock. I remember snow deeper than I was tall on many occasions back in Brockport.

Of course - although they were both pretty excited to see the weather finally warm up a bit.

Snow is great, but even kids find getting into and out of snow gear pretty damn annoying after a while.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

Normally, Vienna takes a week to go from 0 to 18-20° C. Currently we have a few days to reach 20, then suddenly drop back to single digits and start over.

It's been raining for three days now, which is rare here. :weep:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

I like travelling for work. You get paid to just sit on a bus.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2010, 11:09:12 AM
I'll take every single time and place mentined on this thread over travelling to Ross River, Yukon in January.

Why you ask is Ross River, Yukon so bad?

Well you have to drive.  It's a 4 1/2 hour drive from Whitehorse.  First hour and a half aren't bad - at least the road is paved.  But from there?  You don't pass through ANY towns/communities.  The road is twisty, windy, with steep cliffs and no guard railes.  And it's unpaved half the way.  And road clearance is not a priority.

If anything happens, good luck to you.  I've driven that road meeting all of 2-3 oncoming vehicles, for the entire time.  And it's the Yukon, so winter temps of -40c are common (especially further inland, like Ross River).

Once you get there?  Well it's slightly better now - the only hotel (and only restaurant) is open again.  There used to be NOTHING for awhile, and right before the hotel closed there was no point looking at the menu - you had to ask what (if anything) they actually had in stock to cook.

I've stayed there with no heat.  I've stayed there with no tv.  I've stayed there with no lock on the door (thankfully these are 3 separate occasions).

The only store (and only gas) closes at 6pm, so you better make sure you have supplies purchased before then.

Oh - and everyone in towns knows I'm the prosecutor. :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Caliga

That sounds kinda like my town, Bee Bee, aside from the extreme cold. :cool:

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on April 15, 2010, 01:12:08 PM
That sounds kinda like my town, Bee Bee, aside from the extreme cold. :cool:

Your town doesn't have 200 people, and isn't hours away from the next nearest town.

Grey Fox

BB, what does the people of Ross River do? Indians?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2010, 01:21:52 PM

Yukon doesn't have reserves, but yes, most of the people of Ross River are members of the Kaska First Nation.  There's a new mine up towards the NWT border that is employing a number of town members.

Caliga

Well, this is true.  But the nothing ever being open and everyone knowing you parts are true.  :cool:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2010, 01:26:37 PM

Yukon doesn't have reserves, but yes, most of the people of Ross River are members of the Kaska First Nation.  There's a new mine up towards the NWT border that is employing a number of town members.

Do Territories have income taxes?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 15, 2010, 01:42:01 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 15, 2010, 01:26:37 PM

Do Territories have income taxes?

Of course. :huh:

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on April 15, 2010, 12:55:56 PM
I like travelling for work. You get paid to just sit on a bus.

I really liked it when I started this job in 2005 (first day on the job, my boss & I hopped a flight to New Orleans & walked down Bourbon Street).  I didn't have a kid at the time, I got to see parts of the country I had never visited, and sometimes took my wife along & extended the trip into a mini-vacation.  Airline delays & whatnot didn't bother me as much as they do now.

I still like it depending on the destination, but it's tough sometimes to be away from the family for a full week :(
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall